Vw Uk Insurance @ £3,600.00 - Not Likely!!

moomin-j

Get busy living or get busy dying.
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Phoned VW UK insurance up this AM to get a free 5 day insurance for my (at the moment :)) bog standard T6 LWB 150 PS panel van, but... "We have to quote you for a years policy sir, then you can have your 5 days for free" came the reply.

"Ok" - I say, "quote away please"

"Our quote sir, if you choose to stay with VW after your free 5 days will be £3,637.00 :thumbsdown:"

I nearly fell off my chair laughing...

"Is it not competitive sir?"

"I am sorry" came my reply, "but I have had quotes for fully comp with a camper conversion and other little mods for between £450.00 to £550.00, so I am afraid that I can't take you up on your kind offer" was my courteous response.

£3,637,00... £3,637.00!!!

Flabergasted doesn't even start my thoughts.

So Brentacre, A plan, HIC, Adrian Flux or Classic Line Insurance will be getting my business, as they are all quoting within £150.00 of each other.

Phoned VW UK insurance up this AM to get a free 5 day insurance for my (at the moment :)) bog standard T6 LWB 150 PS panel van, but... "We have to quote you for a years policy sir, then you can have your 5 days for free" came the reply.

"Our quote sir, if you choose to stay with VW after your free 5 days will be £3,637.00 :thumbsdown:"

"I am sorry" came my reply, "but I have had quotes for fully comp with a camper conversion and other little mods for between £450.00 to £550.00, so I am afraid that I can't take you up on your kind offer" was my courteous response.

So Brentacre, A plan, HIC, Adrian Flux or Classic Line Insurance will be getting my business, as they are all quoting within £150.00 of each other.
Thats outrageous.
Worth also giving Direct line a call. I pay just under £500 fully comp with full business use. SWB Kombi 204.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!!!!! That is blooming diabolical. Just think of what you can do to your van with the £3k you have just saved.

Found A Plan very good and helpful, if you ask they seem to be able to willing to reduce their admin fee from £40 to £20. I also got a good deal on insuring my modified discovery with them , £120 cheaper than my existing renewal.

I got approx the sae price from VW. Took the 5 days and then went elsewhere.

I wonder why they offer it at all, surely no one takes them up on it? You’d think there would be someone responsible for the department who had to answer for its performance, so why don’t they realise that if they dropped the price they might actually get another revenue stream?

I wonder why they offer it at all, surely no one takes them up on it? You’d think there would be someone responsible for the department who had to answer for its performance, so why don’t they realise that if they dropped the price they might actually get another revenue stream?
Maybe it’s just on Vans/Commercial vehicles. They may see them as a higher risk due to theft or WVM and actually don’t want that arm of the business.
Ford offer a similar thing but I think there’s is 7 days. I use it whenever we get a new Transit but they are always more expensive for the full policy, although not anything like the price VW quoted in the OP.

Maybe it’s just on Vans/Commercial vehicles. They may see them as a higher risk due to theft or WVM and actually don’t want that arm of the business.
Yes I suppose that must be it, just wonder why they can’t be honest and say they don’t do cover on them.

I used to work for an insurance company - quite possibly the company that quoted you that price. We used to do alot of 5 day drive away policies.

The likelihood is that they are quite selective about which risks they are prepared to insure, and if it's business they think they don't want it simply comes up with a stupidly high price as it's easier than refusing to quote.

This could be for a number of reasons such as area, history, whether you're on the electoral register, credit scoring, etc. Also, alot of factors may not be directly related to you, but to your postcode. I know for instance that they didn't generally insure in Liverpool as the claims rates were so high.

"they didn't generally insure in Liverpool" ha, scousers... just joking, lived there 3.5 years, loved it
maybe they are chancers, on a misunderstanding, they can make a lot of money for not a lot of work ;-)

Thanks for all the comments, and now my free 5 day VW drive away insurance has come to an end, I eventually went with Classic Line Insurance, after phoning approx 7 of the insurers suggested on here, insuring a panel van to a camper conversion, fully comp, inc commuting for below £500.00, with excess for F&T of £100.00.
Shove that up your blow pipe and smoke it Mr VW!!!

Try getting the Mrs to agree to that - I don't think she would see it that way!!:(

Called them today to get free 5 days was told they were unable to quote due to the dealer fitted extras
So no free 5 days for me

That surprises me, I had some dealer fitted extras and it wasn't a problem...
This was the wording of the Vw policy, so it seems that extras / accessories were covered:
insurance.JPG

I would go back to your dealer and confirm this is correct, maybe they can talk to Vw on your behalf?

Good luck

Back