Vw Transporter T6 T32 2017 4motion Cab Smells Of Fumes.

Terry L

Hi all, anyone had this? 24k on the clock. I've just had it in for a service at VW Liverpool they reckon its the diesel regeneration system. It's not all the time but when it's cold it's worse. Any advise would be appreciated.
Cheers Terry

rear door/tailgate seal damaged sucking in fumes from the rear?

does it happen if you set the air-vents to internal re-circulation?

where is the smell coming from? airvent? outside? engine bay?

is it just when the DPF is doing a regen? (DPF regens normally smell of burning/oil/diesel untill they wear in then dont smell as much)

it sounds like your dealer thinks you are refering to the normal DPF regen smell . . . . . . . or is it more than that?

Thanks for the reply, I'll check the seal, mine has a tail gate. Defo not the DPF, to be fair I haven't heard the DPF kicking in lately when I leave the van.
The smell seems worse when it's cold. No smell outside though.
Cheers

Could be a split in the EGR concertina transfer pipe as per @Tourershine posted.

I was going to say that, because mine smelt of fumes also.

Have you noticed any whooshing noises from under the bonnet when you blip the throttle, like an air leak?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Loz, Not really technically minded so I have to rely on the dealer, at the same time I can't keep taking it back in. I don't think they even took it out for a run.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick update on this, it was in fact the EGR concertina transfer pipe, apparently they have now fitted a modified replacement part.
Let's hope that puts an end to over a month of misery and inhaling fumes through the vents.

Just a quick update on this, it was in fact the EGR concertina transfer pipe, apparently they have now fitted a modified replacement part.
Let's hope that puts an end to over a month of misery and inhaling fumes through the vents.
great news! any chace of a pic of the new modified part?

well done @Loz & @Tourershine - expert diagnosis

I'm not sure how 'modified' it is, because my new one was identical to the cracked one, but glad you're sorted.

Your'e asking the wrong person here mate, just saying what they told me at Liverpool VW. I wouldn't know at all.

we had same problem , van always smelt of fumes and always trying to regenerate , it was a split pipe , dont think they are made to last anymore

Thread bump.
Can anyone point out which pipe splits?
I have not looked yet but all of sudden my van stinks during a Regen. 3 Regen's per tank and it's bad when in traffic. Headache and coughing from it.
I'll replace with a generic made to fit pipe. Sod VW warranty.

I had a look and feel around and a wipe with a clean cloth to see if any carbon build from leaking and I cant see/feel/hear anything during Regen.
Think I'll have to get it on a ramp, force Regen and start investigating from under.

For now I'll have to recirculate the air when it Regen's so I don't die.
Come on VW sort out this ID buzz cargo and release it so I can get rid of this bag of diesel wank and go leccy.

I had a look and feel around and a wipe with a clean cloth to see if any carbon build from leaking and I cant see/feel/hear anything during Regen.
Think I'll have to get it on a ramp, force Regen and start investigating from under.

For now I'll have to recirculate the air when it Regen's so I don't die.
Come on VW sort out this ID buzz cargo and release it so I can get rid of this bag of diesel wank and go leccy.

It doesn't need to be performing a regen to find the leak. Both of mine that split were an obvious hissing on tick over, and you could feel the air leaking out if you put your hand behind the engine and under the pipe.

Anyone had the EGR pipe replaced by a dealer after the vans warranty has expired. Fumes entering the cab is a safety issue. Should be subject to a recall in my opinion.

It doesn't need to be performing a regen to find the leak. Both of mine that split were an obvious hissing on tick over, and you could feel the air leaking out if you put your hand behind the engine and under the pipe.

Mine only smells during a regen. Still I can't hear any hissing or feel any leaks both during a Regen or normal. So the mystery continues.

My 2017 T6 started smelling 3 weeks ago,,not badly,didnt put it down to exhaust fumes but this week got a lot worse and definite exhaust.
Phoned VW roadside,still under warranty,sent a tech 2 hrs later and he went straight to the pipe,obvs a known problem for VW as they've also modified the replacement part.
Should definitely be a recall imo,are they waiting till somebody gets gravely ill?
It's a works van but forever ferrying kids round and use it for hols too.
Not happy with VW handling of the issue tbh,as a minimum they should at least notify owners and replace at service

Back