Retrofit T6 Tailgate to T5

j40nst

hi there sorry if this has been asked before

I have recently changed my barn doors on my Vw transporter t5 2007 to Vw transporter t6 tailgate
is there any one able to tell me how to wire up electric handle to operate tailgate plz .
All lights working just the lock to do but am stuck lol .
I have new connections for lock and handle but don’t no where or how to tap into my barn door loom

If I can buy a retro loom possibly if someone makes them
Thanks

The lock is more complicated than the lights. On a T6 it is wired into the BCM and coded such that the handle earths the signal wire, and the bcm sends a pulse to the lock to open it.

This may be hard to do on a T5. The BCM is different and can't be configured and there isn't a power feed which is only on when the doors are unlocked. You could take a switched live wire to power a relay such that it's energised when the switch is pressed, sending power to the latch.

Ok mate thanks for that looks like that’s the road I will have to take
Hi j40nst. I have a T5 which now has a T6 tailgate. Did you manage to sort your power latch issue? I am obviously interested in how you did this or who did it for you.

Any ideas welcomed.

Hi there mate I have now sold my van . But yes I got it working as taking feed from interior light . In the middle of the van . When you press remote to open van light powers up . Which throws switch to open . Then if you don’t open tailgate it locks as the light is on timer . Same if you press to lock van light powers up for so long and throws switch on electric handle . Hope this helps , failing that there is a guy down south does it but it was a long journey fir me. I now have a T5.1 but a honestly preferred the t6 tailgate . Better looking my opinion only

Hi there mate I have now sold my van . But yes I got it working as taking feed from interior light . In the middle of the van . When you press remote to open van light powers up . Which throws switch to open . Then if you don’t open tailgate it locks as the light is on timer . Same if you press to lock van light powers up for so long and throws switch on electric handle . Hope this helps , failing that there is a guy down south does it but it was a long journey fir me. I now have a T5.1 but a honestly preferred the t6 tailgate . Better looking my opinion only.
Hi, Absolute thanks for reply. My Dad was electrical; I’m not! Can you remember the South Coat Guy! Dave

Hi lads I already have the loom in the tailgate so just need to put it into the body hole at top but what do I connect it to from that point is there another section of loom that goes down the side I to the back of the brake light I have a 2005 plate van ?

Hi lads I already have the loom in the tailgate so just need to put it into the body hole at top but what do I connect it to from that point is there another section of loom that goes down the side I to the back of the brake light I have a 2005 plate van ?
I imagine your van will be similar in build at least, so the loom will likely travel from the front of the van to the rear along the near side ceiling/side-panel and then down the d-pillar to the tail lights.

So you can either separate and splice your tailgate loom in where they pass each other at that rear top corner, or you can buy the relevant plugs cable and terminals and make up a small loom that’ll mean everything stays where it is and the loom does the connecting.

Hi Ad
yeah loom goes down the near side of the can behind the brake light plugs in so somehow need it to attach to the top plug on the tailgate just wasn’t sure if there was a plug and play piece of loom for this. Also how do I work out what wire is what ? I would prefer to join the loom with the correct connectors if I can

Hi Ad
yeah loom goes down the near side of the can behind the brake light plugs in so somehow need it to attach to the top plug on the tailgate just wasn’t sure if there was a plug and play piece of loom for this. Also how do I work out what wire is what ? I would prefer to join the loom with the correct connectors if I can
There isn’t such a loom, but you could make one up. I don’t know the pin-outs but imagine you’d find them on a Google search. Failing that, @Eddcameron lives and works your part of the world.

Can’t find anything on google or anywhere for it yea may have to pay him a visit although I have spent a fortune already doing this

Can’t find anything on google or anywhere for it yea may have to pay him a visit although I have spent a fortune already doing this
Copy+paste from another forum
Code:
VW T5 Barn Door/Tailgate Conversion - Wiring

TAILGATE LOOM

BLACK PLUG:

Pin 1 - WHITE/LOCK
Pin 3 - BLACK/LOCK
Pin 4 - RED/LOCK 

RED PLUG:

PIN 1 - NUMBER PLATE LIGHT
PIN 2 - BRAKE LIGHT
PIN 4 - TAILGATE LATCH (ROUND EDGE PLUG)
PIN 5 - TAILGATE LATCH (SQUARE EDGE PLUG)
PIN 6 - EARTH

BROWN PLUG:

REAR HEATED SCREEN/REAR WIPER. 

———————————————

VAN LOOM

PIN 7 - NUMBER PLATE LIGHTS
PIN 8 - BRAKE LIGHT
PIN 9 - LATCH (ROUND EDGE PLUG)
PIN10 - EARTH
PIN 11 - WHITE/LOCK
PIN 13 - BLACK/LOCK
PIN 14 - RED/LOCK
PIN 15 - LATCH (SQUARE EDGE PLUG)

Anyone any ideas? I’m doing a tailgate conversion and my van has a single plug but the new tailgate I have has 3 plugs in the wiring. I only want the stop lamp,number plate lights and central locking to work.
many info would be much appreciated
Thanks

It’s a 2009 t5 by the way

Hi there mate I have now sold my van . But yes I got it working as taking feed from interior light . In the middle of the van . When you press remote to open van light powers up . Which throws switch to open . Then if you don’t open tailgate it locks as the light is on timer . Same if you press to lock van light powers up for so long and throws switch on electric handle . Hope this helps , failing that there is a guy down south does it but it was a long journey fir me. I now have a T5.1 but a honestly preferred the t6 tailgate . Better looking my opinion only
Which wire/pin from the tailgate did you take to the interior light? And which connection on the interior light did you use?

HOW TO TAILGATE

This is a guide to replacing the barn doors on your T6 with a tailgate. The conversion is in itself simple, with the parts being bolted on, and falls in to three elements - having the parts present, having the tools available, and having the electrical system altered.

Parts needed include the tailgate + ancillary components, tailgate wiring loom, tailgate gas struts, threshold cover, rear D-pillar trim pieces and, for a fully complete job, rear bumper (the barn-door bumper will still work and can be replaced later). Vagnostics offer a simple conversion kit for mounting the gas struts to the bodywork.

Tools needed include a ruler, Phillips screwdriver, drill with 8mm & 11mm metal drill-bits, generic socket set, tubular box wrench set, hex/Allen-key set, spline socket set and torx socket set; you’ll be able to work out exactly what sizes you will need beforehand by looking at the bolts in your kit and the bolts on the van. A hammer and coal chisel helps along with a wire coat hanger comes in handy. Also, some metal primer for drilled holes.

Electrical requirements boil down to either adding a timed relay to the tailgate wiring loom or to having some additional cabling added and the BCM re-coded via VCDS. You can undertake the conversion without carrying out electrical work, but will only be able to open the tailgate by physically pulling on the latch from inside the vehicle - I lived like this for around five months before finding an auto-electrician who could carry out this coding for me.
Hi I am new to this forum, I’m doing a very similar thing with my 2007 t5 with t6 tailgate, my question is will this apply to this van, many thanks.

Hi guys,

I'm doing a t6 tailgate conversion on my t5, could anyone help me out with a pic of what a complete tailgate eith any internal covers off looks like please?

Tailgate I've bought is a bare skin, parts diagrams online are exploded views and not the best.

A pic/pics to copy would be great if poss

Thanks in advance:)

Back