Vw t6 euro 5 split charging help

Kirky1980

VIP Member
Hi all looking back into putting a battery in my van and wondering what I need etc, is it a basic split charge relay system or because I have a t6 is it an expensive thing to do, my van is only a bmt102 but is a euro 5 not 6 as no as blue, I think it may have start stop but doesn’t work but something comes up on dash about it now and again. Can anyone let me know what’s needed please, I also need to wire my lights up what I have in there as recently had it insulated and carpeted but the guy just left a cable hanging in the back near drivers seat which is attached to the 4 lights in the van

You’ll need a dc-dc charger to charge your leisure battery correctly

Hi thanks for reply, I’m trying to keep the cost down as I do have a solar panel and a 500watt power box to use but wanting to maybe use this as a backup also for when I’m away and to use the battery for my lights also

You’ll need a dc-dc charger to charge your leisure battery correctly
Just picking up on this I've just had a quote go from around 650 to 950 because of me having a T6 euro 5 with start stop, saying I need a different split charge relay. I thought these had smart alternators fitted anyway?

Does this sound right or am I been fleeced?

Cheers Logan

Just picking up on this I've just had a quote go from around 650 to 950 because of me having a T6 euro 5 with start stop, saying I need a different split charge relay. I thought these had smart alternators fitted anyway?

Does this sound right or am I been fleeced?

Cheers Logan
If you tell what the 650 to 950 is for it might enable people to help answer.

If you tell what the 650 to 950 is for it might enable people to help answer.
650 was originally for:

Battery
Split charge relay
Rewiring of existing rear cab lights from main battery
Switch for lights
Rewiring of existing usb points to new battery
Add a couple of 12v points
Small inverter for a 240v small screen tv

I mentioned the start stop tech and was told it needs a different charger and relay which are between 350 and 400 plus wiring loom hence the price hike.

I'm just wondering if this is actually the case or whether a "normal" split charge relay would do the trick thus saving a fair wedge. Seems very expensive for what seeks a relative straight forward job?

Any advice is helpful

Alt best

My camper was built with a split charge relay but as euro 6 I had it upgraded to a victron dc-dc charger, this cost me around £250 I think with installation. The relay is around £40 and the dc-dc charger is around £200, the installation costs shouldn’t be that different.

But my converter insists that the ‘smart’ split relay used is ok for vehicles with smart alternators and is actually sold as such. Disregarding any possible damage it could cause to the battery (again the manufacturer states none but…?) the main disadvantage of this setup from a usage perspective (as I understand it) is that the battery will never fully charge therefore if you did go for the cheap option it may not achieve what you hoped and lead to more costs of a later upgrade.

Maybe look for more quotes

650 was originally for:

Battery
Split charge relay
Rewiring of existing rear cab lights from main battery
Switch for lights
Rewiring of existing usb points to new battery
Add a couple of 12v points
Small inverter for a 240v small screen tv

I mentioned the start stop tech and was told it needs a different charger and relay which are between 350 and 400 plus wiring loom hence the price hike.

I'm just wondering if this is actually the case or whether a "normal" split charge relay would do the trick thus saving a fair wedge. Seems very expensive for what seeks a relative straight forward job?

Any advice is helpful

Alt best
You need to be more specific, what battery? They can vary in price due to size and spec, eg a big Ah Lithium battery could be £500 or more on its own.

Are the fitting a split charge relay or a dc-dc charger?

The battery itself isn't the issue as far I can tell. I'm absolutely happy with the initial quote irrespective of the battery size. (130ah I believe)

I've been told it's the required charging/relay system that's specifically driven the price up. My ignorance is whether I actually need to upgrade to the more expensive of the two as explained by CGTMILES because as a T6 euro 5 I'm not sure whether it has the smart alternator and whether the start stop is an indication that I do and therefore do need to take the more expensive option.

My concern is that in my ignorance I'm being told I need something that is not necessary, but I do accept the point around charge efficiency from the lesser of the two.

Sorry I thought you said it had a smart alternator. I’ve always thought that only euro 6 vans have this requirement. If you go for the smart split charge relay then you should be covered whatever but a quick search seems to suggest there are euro 5 bluemotion vans with stop start that do too. Have a read of the start of this:

Thread '[Guide] DC-DC Charger (for leisure battery) -- How I Done It --'
[Guide] DC-DC Charger (for leisure battery) -- How I Done It --

There isn't a simple right or wrong answer.
A split charge relay will work with a smart alternator, but it won't charge the leisure battery fully.
A DC-DC charger is the best solution, as it will charge the leisure battery fully, and can be configured for different types of leisure battery, so is more future proof.
A DC-DC charger costs £200-£300 or more depending on what you need it to do, so your quote uplift isn't too bad, but it depends on what DC-DC charger they are fitting.

Pete

That's all really helpful thanks for the replies. I've learned something there, seems the price isn't too far of the mark on the back of all that

You could skip the inverter and get a 12v tv. That might help offset some of the extra expense.

Back