VW T5.1 Shuttle suitable for my needs?

blobbi

Hi
I am new to the forum, but have been reading it for some time due to my slight obsession with buying a T5.1 or T6.
I am based in Devon, and having just done the trip to Cornwall with 3 kids, 5 bikes, a buggy, a bike trailer, 2 surfboards and a cot for the new arrival I have realised there is just not enough room in the Skoda Superb for everything. Unfortunately this also comes at a time where every man and their dog seems to want a transporter to convert it.

I am not looking for a camper, I just want a kombi/day van that I can put in the kids +/- a friend of theirs or 2 and use for day to day living. Needs to fit a 9'8" longboard easily as that is often its main use. It would be nice to have some of the stuff that a car has, A/C, multi function steering wheel etc.

I have a budget of around £20k and have found a T5.1 shuttle that I like. It has 9 seats. This seems to make the insurance super expensive, however, direct line are only quoting my an increase of £12 for the remaining 5 months of my insurance so not bad. Tax also seems higher, but I guess its classed as a car.

Am I mad to go for a shuttle over a kombi? Do prices hold like the Kombi's. Is it easy to install rear parking sensors and a camera (I am happy to change the head unit if need be)?
I also wondered if it is worth removing the back seats and recatogirising it to a kombi for insurance purposes and if anyone has gone down this route? Finally, is the sound deadening in the shuttles ok....I have driven a few and they don't seem that bad.

Thanks again. Rob

Hi
I am new to the forum, but have been reading it for some time due to my slight obsession with buying a T5.1 or T6.
I am based in Devon, and having just done the trip to Cornwall with 3 kids, 5 bikes, a buggy, a bike trailer, 2 surfboards and a cot for the new arrival I have realised there is just not enough room in the Skoda Superb for everything. Unfortunately this also comes at a time where every man and their dog seems to want a transporter to convert it.

I am not looking for a camper, I just want a kombi/day van that I can put in the kids +/- a friend of theirs or 2 and use for day to day living. Needs to fit a 9'8" longboard easily as that is often its main use. It would be nice to have some of the stuff that a car has, A/C, multi function steering wheel etc.

I have a budget of around £20k and have found a T5.1 shuttle that I like. It has 9 seats. This seems to make the insurance super expensive, however, direct line are only quoting my an increase of £12 for the remaining 5 months of my insurance so not bad. Tax also seems higher, but I guess its classed as a car.

Am I mad to go for a shuttle over a kombi? Do prices hold like the Kombi's. Is it easy to install rear parking sensors and a camera (I am happy to change the head unit if need be)?
I also wondered if it is worth removing the back seats and recatogirising it to a kombi for insurance purposes and if anyone has gone down this route? Finally, is the sound deadening in the shuttles ok....I have driven a few and they don't seem that bad.

Thanks again. Rob
I’m considering a change on mine too bud. This maybe available at the right price.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Clever move asking on the forum before buying - there are helpful folk on here.

As a family car, I think the vans are so versatile! I have a Cali and wish I had bought one when our first sprog came along rather than continuing to spend money on flash cars!

I don’t know enough about Kombi and Caravelle to sway you one way or another, but there are many people here who can help.

A word of warning: the vans are so customisable (more money) but it does allow you to tweak it to your specific needs!

Good luck with your search

Hi,
Was wondering how your research was going into buying the right van. I bought a T5 Shuttle 3 weeks ago. The interior as mentioned for a 9'8' surf board, won't fit inside, as rear seat to tailgate is 9'. So would have to be roof rails and bars etc. The seats, are well tooled under neath, and you wouldn't be able to fit a scaffold board ne'er mind ewt else.

So I bought a T5.1 shuttle.
I’ve removed the rear row of seats
I can slip a 9’6” board in now along the floor under the seats.
It’s a great van, very happy.

Back