VW roof rails - quality??

T6Paul

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Just fitted the Genuine VW roof rails, is it me or are they a bit of a sh!t fit?

The plastic inserts just won't sit square under the feet and the rubbers are not sitting quite right either! No matter how much I try tweeking them!

Has anyone else experienced the same?...

From other posts from quite some months ago, you may want to put some silicone under the feet as they tend to leak.

Yeah, they are not the best spacers to get into position. Plus, put some silicone in the threaded holes to stop the water getting in. Otherwise, you'll have wet seat belts.

Yes, they are a bit crap to fit, and do put plenty of sealant under them, but at least you can carry stuff on them.

I noticed the same poor fit watching a video on Youtube, was going to get the dealer to fit but now bit worried they will not seal holes as good as I would.

Mine seemed to fit ok and no leaks yet despite not using silicone sealer (must have missed that advice). I've given it 2-3 thorough soakings during washes and no leaks so finger's crossed

I had mine fit by the dealer, How would I know if they are leaking as my roof is lined inside.

Hi Ronnieb. Oh dear that's not good, might not bother having them and just have side bars.

lol I do think they add to the looks of the van to be honest but I need to make sure they are fitted correctly

View attachment 13382 Make sure you seal them I'm in the middle of trying to sort mine that the dealer fitted!
I had this issue which @slidepods discovered when it was being lined out with them. It went back to the dealers for 10 days!! In the end I had a new cab carpet, new rear load liner and they fitted the bars properly. I am now leak free. Insist on getting stuff that's been water damaged replaced. Otherwise, it'll stink and rot.

Back