Vw Roof Rails Load Capacity

Daveo69

Hello all, I am new to this forum having owned a VW T5 Caravelle for the last eleven years and now bought a T6 to replace it (Hi everyone). Apologies if this has been covered before, but.....

I have just bought VW (OMTEC manufactured) roof rails for the T6 from the main-dealer, as I also intend to fit cross-bars to those and then three Thule bike carriers to those (and bikes). I went for the VW dealer supplied rails, as the OMTEC site states that they are tested to 75kg? Having picked up the rails today, they don't appear as substantial as I had hoped and there is no instructions either.

So my question is (before I fit them) - what sort of loads have any of you carried on VW roof rails? Any experience of problems or otherwise? I notice that all other roof rails suggest less than 40kg capacity!

I still have my VW (Thule) roof rack that I had on my T5 Caravelle, so could still use that, but I prefer the look of roof rails (I still have the T5 too, so could swap the roof prep over if needs be as well). Any experience would be appreciated.........

Thanks in advance,

Dave O

I have the same rails. I can’t say I have got to 75kg, but our roof box was very well loaded a couple of times recently.
As long as the load is well spread out (as it would be with cross-bars), then I can’t see that being too much for the rails. It’s the weight of a medium adult, which isn’t that much really.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I take it that your roof box was also on cross bars? Again the cross bars that VW sell (OMTEC again) look slick, but don't look that substantial. That said, at the minute I would still prefer to opt for VW than other aftermarket if that makes sense? Any other tried and tested options would be appreciated......

Cheers,

Dave O

Yes, on OMTEC cross-bars. I have a second set of non OMTEC cross-bars which fit, but look slightly less robust.

Pete

Thanks Pete, that's reassuring. Trying to make sure that I can continue to do this with roof rails on my T6........

IMG_9515.JPG

Pete, how much hight have you gained by moutning those rails. I am trying to stay under 200m. The T6 paper says that my car is 195cm high.

Pete, how much hight have you gained by moutning those rails. I am trying to stay under 200m. The T6 paper says that my car is 195cm high.

I honestly don't know. Will try and measure it the next time we have the van out.

Pete

I had roof rack prep on my LWB which I have now removed as it was leaking and very soon will be replaced with a pop top anyway.
Watch out for leaks with rails or prep, especially if VW have fitted them. Lots of info on here about that.
To be fair with Thule cross bars the prep looks pretty strong.
I also wanted a very strong roof rack set up and initially was going to go with OEM rails and cross bars which are or were pretty trendy.
However up close they don't look that strong and the way the fittings are engineered is pretty poor.
I would go with Thule or Atera fixed cross bars for the strongest job on a standard van.

I am going with Karitec Roof Rails and Thule cross bars on a Jerba pop top, all rated to 100kg. And no, clearly wont be able to 'pop the top' when I have a load up there.

Manual says

The maximum permissible roof load with vehicles with a normal roof is 150kg, vehicles with a double cab 75 kg.
Each mount can bear a maximum load of 50kg....

and it goes on and on until it talks about carrier limits, basically don’t exceed 150 kg or the limit of the carrier.

hope this helps :thumbsup:

I visited local dealer here in Slovenia yesterday. according to technical data of barrs and rails genuine VW bars can carry up to 95kg per bar. The veichles with fabric mounted C rails (roof rack prep) can carry up to 95kg per rail. I didn`t check the car manual.
So, the local dealer said it is not possible to supply VW rails as there are none. Offical option is to mount roof rack prem rails, but you need to drill some holes in the roof. They`ve done it before, but it is not adviceable.
SO, I haven`t found offical roof rails option yet. Is the OMTEC really OEM supplier of those slides? It is still the best and the strongest option I`ve found so far.

Offical option is to mount roof rack prem rails, but you need to drill some holes in the roof.

There roof rack prep adds one screw at the rear of each track that sits in the gutter. The screw looks like a pan head self tapper in a plastic insert.
Simple enough but when you remove the rails obviously the holes are left. I simply put the screws back with some sealant.
If anyone wants a photo I can get one later.
I shall put my LWB roof rack prep in the for sale section later if anyone is interested.

My van is without LWB rack prep. The first option was mounting them, but since drilling is required there ....it is out of the question.

My van is without LWB rack prep. The first option was mounting them, but since drilling is required there ....it is out of the question.

I think it would be possible to fit the roof rack prep without drilling the roof, the strength is in the mounting screws that bolt to the roof anchor bolts. The screws at the end are cosmetic and you could perhaps do without them or use 3M tape or Sika.
The photo on the left shows the screw holes, the cross bars can't be fitted here and the rear part is plastic so stuck on would be fine.

IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0309.JPG

How many holes have you got? I`ve got only 4. The rail requires 7.
Are you sure? My LWB has 8 holes per rail matching the standard roof rack bolts. Plus two drilled holes at the rear for the end part.
I can check in an hour or so, if it’s light out I will take a photo of my roof for you.

Currently having a T6 converted to pop top campervan.
As I paddle a canoe, and my wife paddles her own, we are having a Karitek Easy Load Roof Rack plus their roof rails fitted to the vans pop top with the canoes being lowered on the drivers side due to having a windout awning fitted on the passenger side.
Has anyone else had one of these racks and rails fitted to their vehicle, if so then is there any chance of a few pictures as want to see how the rack fits with the awning?

They are very cool bits of kit

check with the roof manufacturer As they’ll have to tell you. Plus no doubt you’ll have upgrade your gas’s struts too.

Are you sure? My LWB has 8 holes per rail matching the standard roof rack bolts. Plus two drilled holes at the rear for the end part.
I can check in an hour or so, if it’s light out I will take a photo of my roof for you.
I just bought the roof prep for a swim and you "need" to drill 3 more holes per rail and add in the bolt bracket to the inside of the van. I have yet to do this and bolted down using the 4 existing pre installed bolt holes . Easy enough job just haddent the time. I used tiger seal to pin down the plastic ends. To avoid drilling those self tappers in.

There should be rubber arround the holes in to rail to seal it. Mine are now so they are good Nd not squashed. A wee bit of silicon should help.

Part numbers for all the bits are on another of my threads.

If you use bolt down cross bars then each bar can take 100kg apparently. Still looking for c channel fitted bars but thule do them and a few others so far that I have found.

Reactions: WBC
Back