VW Oil leak quote £1400

jzd7tcm

T6 Pro
Hi all. I have a 2016 180 Dsg T6 with 45k miles which has just been in for its service. Was going to also have the Dsg oil changed.

Wife returned with a quote for £170 to resolve oil leak from gearbox sump and a quote for £1400 for an oil leak from Flywheel bolts.

I have called the VW dealer and spoken to them but information is very vague.

If it needs doing then fair enough but I would like to have some idea of why the cost is so high.
Any advice/info would be gratefully recieved

Thanks in advance
Tim

How bad is it leaking first? Did you notice before? Anything on your drive?

Dealers love to call a minor weep a leak :rolleyes:

How bad is it leaking first? Did you notice before? Anything on your drive?

Dealers love to call a minor weep a leak :rolleyes:
Hi there. I have never noticed a leak and the drive is clean. The oil level doesn't seem to drop between services and I check it regularly

The thing with main dealers is they want you to pay to make everything as new. If you use an old school independent garage, they are more likely to make you aware of it, and if it's not dripping out, suggest you keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse.

It's the same with brakes. "Your disks are showing signs of wear. We can replace them for £600 whilst it's here" Signs of wear is quite different to worn out.

The thing with main dealers is they want you to pay to make everything as new. If you use an old school independent garage, they are more likely to make you aware of it, and if it's not dripping out, suggest you keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse.

It's the same with brakes. "Your disks are showing signs of wear. We can replace them for £600 whilst it's here" Signs of wear is quite different to worn out.
That makes sense. I think I will take it to my local I dependent guy now its out of warranty. Thanks for the reply

There was an issue with a leaky bolt in top of the gearbox that got an official VW fix that was to bond/epoxy a bolt into the hole to seal it
Have a search and see if you can find some details, don’t want to get your local indy chasing a known problem that has a known (unusual) fix

There was an issue with a leaky bolt in top of the gearbox that got an official VW fix that was to bond/epoxy a bolt into the hole to seal it
Have a search and see if you can find some details, don’t want to get your local indy chasing a known problem that has a known (unusual) fix
Ah OK thanks for the info. Will have a dig and see what I can find. Much appreciated.

Awesome thanks

I too had the flywheel oil leak. It was a weep, that turned into a reasonable puddle after some time. I had mine fixed under warranty as part of a DMF replacement. It's a gearbox out job, loads of new (torque to yield type) bolts and tracking when done by the stealer. I don't know what the book time is, but could easily see it coming to £1400.

If it remains a small stain on the bottom of the bell housing, you're probably better off saving the cash until you need a clutch!

I too had the flywheel oil leak. It was a weep, that turned into a reasonable puddle after some time. I had mine fixed under warranty as part of a DMF replacement. It's a gearbox out job, loads of new (torque to yield type) bolts and tracking when done by the stealer. I don't know what the book time is, but could easily see it coming to £1400.

If it remains a small stain on the bottom of the bell housing, you're probably better off saving the cash until you need a clutch!
OK great thanks. That's good to know

Back