VW factories were closed across Europe.

Thanks for all the replies... I got onto the dealer today to ask what the deal was and the reply was that they have allocated a reg for it but not registered it... Is there an option to choose a reg like a new mobile number? just weighing up now if to hold on and pick ut up on the 1st of September.
Don't know if it's changed but when I got my T5 from your dealer back in 2009 they first told me I couldn't choose a reg. Then a very helpful girl got involved and found me a reg with my initials at the end. I think they just get a batch of numbers to choose from

Thanks for all the replies... I got onto the dealer today to ask what the deal was and the reply was that they have allocated a reg for it but not registered it... Is there an option to choose a reg like a new mobile number? just weighing up now if to hold on and pick ut up on the 1st of September.

Every other new vehicle I've bought usually gets a reg I've chosen from a list the dealer has. Sounds to me like you may still have the option of waiting till September, if the dealer is willing to keep a hold of it till then?

Every other new vehicle I've bought usually gets a reg I've chosen from a list the dealer has. Sounds to me like you may still have the option of waiting till September, if the dealer is willing to keep a hold of it till then?
Thanks, Scotty, all sorted now thanks. I've ended up paying for the van but the dealers are holding it back for registering / collection start of September... And they'll send me a choice from the reg's they'll have to pick from.. The dealer did send a video to show the kids what we have bought.. Something to look forward to!

Thanks, Scotty, all sorted now thanks. I've ended up paying for the van but the dealers are holding it back for registering / collection start of September... And they'll send me a choice from the reg's they'll have to pick from.. The dealer did send a video to show the kids what we have bought.. Something to look forward to!

Nice one. September suddenly feels like a long way off! :(

Nice one. September suddenly feels like a long way off! :(
Don't... I was just getting all the orders in for the all soundproofing etc... but 2 months of insurance / warranty / etc.. and nowhere to go and no work back on yet... at least I've got the video to keep looking... ; ) The DLR lights do look good.

Don't... I was just getting all the orders in for the all soundproofing etc... but 2 months of insurance / warranty / etc.. and nowhere to go and no work back on yet... at least I've got the video to keep looking... ; ) The DLR lights do look good.

I'm distracting myself by planning trip to Le Mans next year. It's not really working. :D

I managed to get the 8 digit order number from converter today. VWCV chat advised me they couldn’t give a build week but van should be built by week 30 and for me to contact again mid July. They explained it should normally take 3 weeks to be shipped but ports are backlogged, however they are hopeful the backlog could be sorted by end of July.

I managed to get the 8 digit order number from converter today. VWCV chat advised me they couldn’t give a build week but van should be built by week 30 and for me to contact again mid July. They explained it should normally take 3 weeks to be shipped but ports are backlogged, however they are hopeful the backlog could be sorted by end of July.

I've emailed my dealer now asking for it to now be a 70 plate. No reply yet

Last edited:

Just got the chat working and apparently mine is on its way to the exit port. As usual my dealer hasn't given me this update lol

OK, so just had a call from my dealer to say that my Caravelle is now due to arrive in the UK on 9th August, which is a marked improvement on the original forecast of mid-September! Now I face a dilemma - do I take delivery in August and have it just in time to drive down to Cornwall or wait to take delivery in September so that is is a registered on a 70 plate... :confused:

OK, so just had a call from my dealer to say that my Caravelle is now due to arrive in the UK on 9th August, which is a marked improvement on the original forecast of mid-September! Now I face a dilemma - do I take delivery in August and have it just in time to drive down to Cornwall or wait to take delivery in September so that is is a registered on a 70 plate... :confused:
Take delivery
Private plate
Job done!

If I was offered my van tomorrow I’ll bite their hands off.

Had another email today from VWCC this time. This is what they said:

"I can confirm that anything with a 13-17 build week will be out of the Factory by week 30. This is week commencing 29th July 2020."

So this validates what my dealer told me yesterday. Happy days!

I think they have their weeks confused as week 30 is week commencing 20th July. Seems to be a standard answer so hopefully could arrive sooner.

Apparently my dealer is ok with me holding off my van until September registration. Even though I've had to email twice over two weeks and still not have a reply. Found out through the local dealers chat page in the end. He mentioned June was a very busy month for used sales apparently. Doesn't take two minutes to reply to a customers email though does it lol.

I just thought I would let you all know my timescale for new vehicle.

I ordered a new Caravelle on 3rd February 2020 for delivery approx end of April. Unfortunately VW Factory and dealer shut down due to virus. I emailed dealership in March to cancel factory fitted mud flaps but heard nothing after a week. I called them and a girl answered and said only a few of them working. She checked with VW and said I could not change order, and I told her the vehicle had not been built yet and I was within my time limit to make any changes to my order before the due build date. Haven’t heard anything from dealer so I called them on 3rd June 2020. Spoke to manager and he confirmed vehicle was built at the end of May and was sat in VW Germany. He said there was back log of vehicles at port waiting to be shipped to the UK and it would be another 4 to 5 weeks before they would receive it at the dealership. I called them again today 3rd July 2020 for an update as I hadn’t heard anything. Manager said vehicle still sat a port awaiting shipping to UK. He said delivery is looking like first week in August which is another 4 to 5 weeks away.

I think I will wait for the new 70 plate in September now as per some of you.

This is the first new VW I have ordered and find the customer service not very good. I have ordered many other new cars in the past and never had to chase them for information.

This is the first new VW I have ordered and find the customer service not very good. I have ordered many other new cars in the past and never had to chase them for information.

Obviously everyone's using the Covid business as an excuse for just about everything at the moment, some of which may be true but, as per Chippy's point, it only takes a few minutes to reply to customer emails, send updates etc - what else were they doing while everything was shut down? I think it's these little things that make any interactions a much better experience... just be honest about timeframes as a start, then keep your customers updated. Even a weekly or monthly newsletter throughout this period with news from HQ, problems with suppliers, shipping etc would make you feel like they cared a little.

Not that the monetary value of a sale should really matter when it comes to customer service, when I'm spending north of £60k on a vehicle, realistic or not, my expectations of the experience go up. I'm sure the dealers are telling the truth when they say they don't know what's going on but that isn't really good enough - I suspect franchised dealers feel like they can't put pressure on VW UK (and ultimately VW HQ) in case they lose some level of standing in the network but to me that isn't treating your customers fairly. I mentioned in an earlier post that this vehicle will be my personal recreational toy but if my business was reliant on delivery of a vehicle that I was told would take 12-14 weeks, then I get nothing more when that deadline arrives and is substantially overshot, I'd be furious. This is the kind of thing that leaves a sour taste, mostly aimed at the brand but it also forces you to question the ability and integrity of the dealer you bought from... in these competitive times, dealers should be breaking their backs for customers and an update email or courtesy call can be all it takes to make a difference.

Obviously everyone's using the Covid business as an excuse for just about everything at the moment, some of which may be true but, as per Chippy's point, it only takes a few minutes to reply to customer emails, send updates etc - what else were they doing while everything was shut down? I think it's these little things that make any interactions a much better experience... just be honest about timeframes as a start, then keep your customers updated. Even a weekly or monthly newsletter throughout this period with news from HQ, problems with suppliers, shipping etc would make you feel like they cared a little.

Not that the monetary value of a sale should really matter when it comes to customer service, when I'm spending north of £60k on a vehicle, realistic or not, my expectations of the experience go up. I'm sure the dealers are telling the truth when they say they don't know what's going on but that isn't really good enough - I suspect franchised dealers feel like they can't put pressure on VW UK (and ultimately VW HQ) in case they lose some level of standing in the network but to me that isn't treating your customers fairly. I mentioned in an earlier post that this vehicle will be my personal recreational toy but if my business was reliant on delivery of a vehicle that I was told would take 12-14 weeks, then I get nothing more when that deadline arrives and is substantially overshot, I'd be furious. This is the kind of thing that leaves a sour taste, mostly aimed at the brand but it also forces you to question the ability and integrity of the dealer you bought from... in these competitive times, dealers should be breaking their backs for customers and an update email or courtesy call can be all it takes to make a difference.
This 100%

I ordered my first ever VW and the experience after sale was woeful. Covid sucks for all businesses but they could have had some kind of communication plan in place. It wouldn’t have taken much to form a decent PR / comms structure to keep customers informed.

I ended up cancelling my maxxed out T6.1 4Motion DSG and bought used as I felt left in the lurch by VW.

Finally heard back from my dealer today after emailing 3 weeks ago then again last week. I spoke with a guy at another branch while using their websites chat box last week. They agreed I could now put the van off until September and I've screen shotted it as I don't trust them. Then today I get a call that mine is at the German port (which I knew already) and that they have to register the van within 14 days of them receiving it.

I know for a fact they are delaying other orders until September some even arriving before mine and one is even there already.

Not a great way to treat a loyal returning customer.

Back