VW factories were closed across Europe.

Dannyb6467

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Just had this email. Not sure if its posted before but it looks like new orders will be delayed.

Mine was due to be built next week. Heath and safety of workers is number 1 priority, so totally understand the reasons.

Would be good to see VW put out some kind of update to those that have orders in (lots of us will be using them for business use and would like to plan accordingly!).

Spoke with VW chat today... not confirmed the factory my van is being built at is closed... but don’t know how long it’ll be. Gotta just hold out and look for some other options. Had to hire a van last week and will need to do the same in the next couple of weeks which is added costs!

Nothing that can be done though in the current situation so in the grand scheme of things I can wait :)

from VW:
It hasn't been confirmed that the Factory that your van is due to be built has been closed, however, due to the backlog that has already built up at the Factory, we believe that there are likely to be delays with your order.

We're not sure how long the delay will be so we recommend coming back through to us here or using our Live Chat service to keep updated on the progress of your order.

Last edited:
Our local dealer posted on Facebook this evening that as from 5pm tonight the dealership is closed to the public. Essential users have been given a link if they need urgent repairs/servicing.

Just heard from the dealer. Factories are opening up in 10 days time. They will work with a 10% workforce for 8 to 10 weeks. This will allow completion of the Van's already started to be built before lockdown. If conditions allow they will then ramp up to full production.
In other words...in my case, if my van is started it will be finished within 10 weeks. If it hasn't started to be built theres no knowing when it will arrive. If it's the later I certainly don't want it before September!

Just heard from the dealer. Factories are opening up in 10 days time. They will work with a 10% workforce for 8 to 10 weeks. This will allow completion of the Van's already started to be built before lockdown. If conditions allow they will then ramp up to full production.
In other words...in my case, if my van is started it will be finished within 10 weeks. If it hasn't started to be built theres no knowing when it will arrive. If it's the later I certainly don't want it before September!

Bloody hell mine was build week 16 bet I don't get it till Xmas now ☹️. Emailed my dealer today as I've had no contact since I ordered.

Mine was week 13 so I'm in the same boat.
I'm going to get a Snatch Land Rover ex MOD in the meantime...complete with .50cal mount....a chance for something alternative for the time being. Just need the .50cal gun now.

Finally heard back from my dealer yesterday. Emailed them a while back but they said it had gone in their spam.

Anyway they rang and said I would've been week 16 build but I'm now delayed, I had found all this out myself through the vw online chat weeks ago lol. No news other than what I already knew, they will let me know when more info is available. He didnt even know the factory was starting up Monday 27th (according to Google). I shouldn't be surprised

How long after order was it before you had an idea of (intended) build date?

Since I placed my order on the 10th March, I've heard nothing from the dealer. I emailed the dealer last week and eventually got a short reply saying factories were re-opening but there would be delays. No indication of how far behind production actually is. I've seen footage of the factories in action and the entire build process is super slick with just in time on all parts etc... I can't believe VW don't know exactly how far behind they are (to the hour?) and could still give estimates on target dates. I couldn't understand why that wasn't possible on the day of ordering... they know how many orders are on the books and how long it takes to build each one, surely it doesn't take too much calculation to come up with a projected timeline - I think we'd all be happy with a target week, we don't really need it more accurate than that, yet everything's been silent.

How long after order was it before you had an idea of (intended) build date?

Since I placed my order on the 10th March, I've heard nothing from the dealer. I emailed the dealer last week and eventually got a short reply saying factories were re-opening but there would be delays. No indication of how far behind production actually is. I've seen footage of the factories in action and the entire build process is super slick with just in time on all parts etc... I can't believe VW don't know exactly how far behind they are (to the hour?) and could still give estimates on target dates. I couldn't understand why that wasn't possible on the day of ordering... they know how many orders are on the books and how long it takes to build each one, surely it doesn't take too much calculation to come up with a projected timeline - I think we'd all be happy with a target week, we don't really need it more accurate than that, yet everything's been silent.
Yeah I find it weird they can't just give a rough estimate, with all the technology they have

Update : I spoke to the dealer and VW UK and was basically told they know nothing!

VW UK actually called me and I had a conversation with them. The gist is that, outside of build dates, they know nothing. Even though build dates are the only piece of info the dealers get from VW, there doesn't seem to be any avenue to query this information directly - even VW UK have to sit and wait for VW (in Germany or Poland, wherever they're built!?) to give them that date. That is it.

I asked if there was any indication of how far behind they are with production and the answer was that they don't know. They can't even extrapolate from recent completed builds against order dates which i think is pretty poor or they are covering something up, because I refuse to accept that they don't know this.

Anyway, during the conversation, the chap suggested it might be another 3 months. I bloody hope not. It's not so bad for me as this will be a personal vehicle but I'd be furious if I'd ordered for my company and was either waiting with no van or shelling out for a hire for months extra.

Update : I spoke to the dealer and VW UK and was basically told they know nothing!

VW UK actually called me and I had a conversation with them. The gist is that, outside of build dates, they know nothing. Even though build dates are the only piece of info the dealers get from VW, there doesn't seem to be any avenue to query this information directly - even VW UK have to sit and wait for VW (in Germany or Poland, wherever they're built!?) to give them that date. That is it.

I asked if there was any indication of how far behind they are with production and the answer was that they don't know. They can't even extrapolate from recent completed builds against order dates which i think is pretty poor or they are covering something up, because I refuse to accept that they don't know this.

Anyway, during the conversation, the chap suggested it might be another 3 months. I bloody hope not. It's not so bad for me as this will be a personal vehicle but I'd be furious if I'd ordered for my company and was either waiting with no van or shelling out for a hire for months extra.
Cheers for update. Seems crazy they know nothing but are happy to take more orders. Three months will seem like a lifetime but luckily like you I’m not relying on it for business.
I keep checking my email in box just in case an email pops up saying van is in the uk, but the in box isn’t that lucky.

Thanks for the update , when was your build date ? mine Was week 16.

I borrowed part of the money for my van (sat there waiting to be used) and have already sold my old van, was hoping I'd manage work with my car. It's my work van but nothing I can do really it is what it is we're all in the same boat.

Let's all sue VW for compensation lol

I got on the blower on Tuesday to see what was going on with my van that has been stuck at the port. The dealership new nothing. The chap on the phone laughed when I asked when it was expected. He said he’d just had An email from VW asking them for nice socially distanced photos of customers collecting their vans! Obvs not had any. The online chat box conversation yesterday says vans are starting to move and it’s a bout 10 days possibly for me. But after all that I’m not sure how I’m going to get to The dealership Heathrow !

Cheers for update. Seems crazy they know nothing but are happy to take more orders. Three months will seem like a lifetime but luckily like you I’m not relying on it for business.
I keep checking my email in box just in case an email pops up saying van is in the uk, but the in box isn’t that lucky.
Yeah... I do an email check everyday. I get the same level of disappointment when I check the lottery numbers.

Thanks for the update , when was your build date ? mine Was week 16.

I borrowed part of the money for my van (sat there waiting to be used) and have already sold my old van, was hoping I'd manage work with my car. It's my work van but nothing I can do really it is what it is we're all in the same boat.

Let's all sue VW for compensation lol

I was never given an official build date which makes me think I'm way down the list! I ordered early March so if the dealer was to be believed, it would have been around weeks 19 - 21 (assuming their projected delivery date was a couple of weeks after build). Round about now was when I was originally supposed to take delivery.

Back