VW Erwin wiring diagrams.....understanding

TheOldGoat

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi there, just trying to understand the wiring diagrams and the meaning of some things.
In the diagram below there are 3 wires that I've enclosed with a yellow box.

Can anyone explain where I might find the "open" end and what the numbers mean in the black boxes?
In this case numbers 27 Red \ Yellow, 26 Brown, and 21 Black.Heater.png

Last edited:
Look at the bottom of your drawing - here 1, 2, ... 14.
Probably on next page - at the bottom - you have 21, 26, 27 - and respectively somewhere higher up similar boxes pointing back to 11 (from 21), 10 (from 26), 8 (from 27)

Thanks @mmi, yes I can see that now.
Spent the last hour looking through the general info and fuse box layouts and all sorts!

Reactions: mmi
When working with the live version, clicking those boxes takes you to where the number in it is in the CFD automatically and clicking the box at the other end will bring you back.
But on the old cfd’s (when I worked in a dealer back in the 80’s ) when they were produced as a paper version in a folder, the numbered line at the bottom indicated where the other end went to.
Numbers in a circle (390 as an example) next to a node joint indicate the location of that node within the wiring loom. The legend will indicate where it is located.
T6af/6 indicates pin 6 in the 6 pin plug which is designated T6af again the legend will indicate its location.

0.5 br with star next to it indicates the brown wire is 0.5mm, look at the star in the legend for specific info.
Live is at top of CFD Earth at the bottom
DIN listings for common connections
30 battery live
31 earth
15 ignition live
50 starter trigger
86 relay trigger live
85 relay trigger earth
87 relay load output
X live except when cranking
Loads more online.

Fuse boxes
SA first connection to battery and has high amp strip fuses usually and feed heavy loads and other fuse boxes
SB usually under bonnet fuse box
SC usually in or under the dash
For cars other boxes work towards the back of car and in the boot.

Looking at this image when you see the brown wire on on the bottom line with a number by it, it is earthed to the body and the location will be shown in the legend under that number.
When you have as in this case three browns shown up from the base line on a common line, this indicates all of these wires are connected to a node joint within the loom then go to body earth at point 12 on a 4mm thick wire which is on the left in the engine compartment.

8EE387D6-30B6-4853-BBEF-6F1A6A8B216C.jpeg

429180CE-EF83-4A51-A6E0-E4BA9E23EA07.jpeg

Here is few more terminal definitions

TFL = Tagfahrlicht = Daytime Running Light
NL = Nebelleuchte = Fog Lights (Front)
NSL = Nebelschlussleuchte = Rear Fog Lights
KZB = KennZeichenBeleuchtung = license plate illumination
LSS LenkStockSchalter (Steering column switch)
NBA NotBremsAnzeige (Emergency brake display)

Last edited:
Thanks for the extra info.
@Flyingspanner expanding on your post I've noticed that the earth point 390 you mentioned is listed as Earth point 25 in main harness.
From the Earth point diagram available on Erwin it is not defined as to where it is.

Does anyone know if joints inside the harness are locatable?

The earth points at the bottom line of wiring diagrams are shown, for example 12 in the diagram above in the engine bay.
Earth Points12.png

I've certainly learnt a lot regards wiring diagrams with help from you folk.
I feel another hour with Erwin online is coming soon to play with the new found links!

Back