Vw Dealer Supplied T32 With '96' Load Rated Tyres

TitanCamper

VIP Member
T6 Pro
My 17 plate T32 204 DSG was delivered on Thursday from London to Glasgow by the VW dealer.
To my horror, it was sitting on 215 60 17 96H tyres. Was this an attempt to divert my attention from that world renowned brand name of 'Jinyu', written next to the size?
1 email later and to be fair, they have called to say Black Circles will be round to fit 4 new correctly rated tyres. Whilst I'm happy they've offered to sort right away, how the hell can this pass through a VW dealers used van checklist?

The main concern is if I wasn't a stickler for good tyres and hence checked them, I could have been off on holiday in a few weeks with a van packed to the gunnels with my family, luggage etc, oblivious to this disaster waiting to happen.

I do have a question. When would the 235 55 17 have been fitted to a T32? Is this just personal preference or are there other reasons? I had this size on my T5 Caravelle I just sold and have a set of winters available so would be good to know I can re-use them when winter appears up here around late August...

My new T6 wheels are Devonports.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

I guess you also have to question whether if the Devonports are the T32 version as well, as they have a higher rated load Devonport model for the T32.

Pretty sure there's only only one spec of Devonport, mine's a T28 and they're rated for T32. VW seemed to fit either 215/60 or 235/55 depending on what they had laying around I think.

Pretty sure there's only only one spec of Devonport, mine's a T28 and they're rated for T32. VW seemed to fit either 215/60 or 235/55 depending on what they had laying around I think.

I tried to order them with my van, and told that there were two different versions.

This was from the uk configurator at the time, as i wanted to double confirm that the dealer wasn't pulling my leg.

"Standard
17" chassis with 17" brake system
17" Devonport alloy wheels for 3,200kg gross vehicle weight vehicles
17" Devonport alloy wheels x4 7J x 17"

Thanks for the replies folks. Will pop off the wheels and double check them all before Monday.

Was hoping to post a "Hello, here's my new van" thread so will still do this once I get pics and new tyres etc. Been a lurker on here for a long time as I had a T5.1 Caravelle previously. Some amazing work done on various vans.

I tried to order them with my van, and told that there were two different versions.

This was from the uk configurator at the time, as i wanted to double confirm that the dealer wasn't pulling my leg.

"Standard
17" chassis with 17" brake system
17" Devonport alloy wheels for 3,200kg gross vehicle weight vehicles
17" Devonport alloy wheels x4 7J x 17"
I was told that the wheels were the same and the extra price for that package was for the bigger brakes.

I was told that the wheels were the same and the extra price for that package was for the bigger brakes.

I think the only way is that we can truely confirm is if someone has the part number for the rim if the T32 was delivered with Devonports

As i found out the 17 inch VW transporter steel rims comes in 2 versions, the T32 has the 950kg load rated rim.

I got caught out buying a spare set of rims to powder coat, they way to identify them is the i think the 950kg version has a hole near the wheel lugs

Surely it can't be much more to make them a 950kg, to save having two different almost identical versions

The vin search at the dealership confirmed that mine was 950kg rated rim compared to the lower rated steels on the t30 that is sold here.

Well, I've finally got a resolution to my tyre issue.
VW have confirmed (after a lot of chasing) that they will pay for 4 new correctly rated tyres for my van. I also have the opportunity to trade up to something like Michelin cross climates so just looking into options now.

I did try to take my wheel off at the weekend but it was pretty much welded to the hub. In normal circumstances, I would have freed it off myself, but point of principle etc with an 18 month old used van from a dealer with a tyre issue meant I stuck the wheel bolts back on and will let them do it. I'll still check the wheel when it's off to make sure it is load rated.

Hmmm a stuck on wheel means it hasn't been off for a long time. Raises questions about how the service brake check has been done.

TI
it will be rusty on the hub where the alloy meets it, make sure they dont hammer the alloy wheel to release it
loosen all the bolts and drive up and down ur drive it will break free ok
also make sure it wire brushed off and a little copper grease applied
also Devonports question , there is only 1 Davenport and its T32 rated so fits any

Thanks for all the advice so far.
The latest update on the tyres is that I managed to get 4 Michelin Cross Climates fitted at the local ATS place the other day with the bulk being paid by the dealer. They basically covered me for replacement dunlops/goodyears etc and I paid the extra to get cross climates.
ATS managed to get the wheels off without too much trouble and they've used some ceramic grease on the backs.

Unsurprisingly, the difference is huge.
Apart from going from 215/60/17 to 235/55/17, the most obvious difference was the road noise - or lack of it compared to the Jinyu's, even with a wider tyre.
Handling feels a lot better (and not in a Lewis Hamilton way!) and I'm sure the stopping distance difference will be measured in multiple metres.

It's booked into my local VW dealer to get the rest of it checked over properly (I know one of the technicians) so at least that will give me peace of mind.

Back