Vw Bike Rack With External Storage Box Solution

MowgliX12

Looking for help, first post....

We are about to pickup new VW T6 LWB campervan and need to decide on external storage and bike rack.

Does anyone know if is it possible to use the VW 4 bike rack with the Thule Easy Base no. 949?

upload_2019-5-22_21-59-19.png

We are then considering using Thule storage box 900 on the base.

upload_2019-5-22_22-1-52.png

Concerned top loop will prevent the bike rack from folding down/out. If not possible, any other similar solutions out there?

Many thanks!

Jody

Hi - what did you do in the end? Did you find a bike rack that fitted with the back box? We have the same conundrum!

Ah ok, that’s good but only one bike by the look of it and we already have a back box. Don’t suppose you found a rack that worked with an existing back box?

@czmate1999 Yes, It's a nice solution with the Thule tilting rack..

I'm also looking at this solution but for storage of items on trips away... Do you know what weight limit can be used with this type of set-up..? Thanks
I think the weight limit on the Thule XT is 60kg, and the rack itself weighs 19kg. Might need to check nose weight capacity on your towbar too as that could also be a limiting factor

Thanks, so the XT2/3 load capacity is 60kg
i just googled the weight of the backspace box and it says 8.6kg... Let's call it 9.... So 51kg capacity left....

Does anyone know the load bearing rating of a detachable westfalia with bumper beam support..?

Thanks for the info... so the rack and box would tally up to 28kg.. leaving 72kg nose weight available on the westfalia.... but the remaining rack capacity as above is 51Kg...

So it would seem the rack is under-rated by around 20kg... For my intended purpose with the backspace fully loaded it would be extremely useful to have that extra 15-20kg..

I wonder if the xt2 could be strengthened with an extra brace or two :whistle:

I think there's also got to be a fair impact of weight positioning too. I assume a nose capacity of 100kg is for 100kg directly on the nose; i don't know how the capacity of 100kg is affected by loading up a rack that actually sits up to 1m behind the nose, which has got to have a fair bit of fulcrum effect on the nose. There must be multiple engineers on here that have laid in bed at night pondering this very question....

Yes, Good point @Village

I would be interested to hear if there are any additional support options for utilising the maximum towbar nose load capability... or if anyone has a 100Kg rack style carrier solution.

Yes, Good point @Village

I would be interested to hear if there are any additional support options for utilising the maximum towbar nose load capability... or if anyone has a 100Kg rack style carrier solution.

I'd be interested to know how the nose load limit actually applies to carriers and/or boxes. Obviously a trailer hitch will apply a vertical nose load based on trailer C of G as well as horizontal loads from acceleration and braking. With a load like a bike carrier that is not supported by additional wheels there must be a huge torsional load on the tow bar. The vertical weight may be low but I wonder how the tow bars are rated for twisting loads suspended up to a metre aft of their attachment....

Hi
I love the back box set up you’ve created, what tilting bike rack is that?
TIA

I adapted my cycle rack to carry a Thule 900 Backup box. Cycle rack max. load capacity is 60kg and the box weighs 14kg. I packed 30kg of camping gear in the box for a 3100 mile European trip. Didn't really notice the additional weight until the Alps! Just slowed down a little for the hairpins!

View attachment 73553

View attachment 73554

View attachment 73555

View attachment 73556

Back