VW Tailgate Bike Rack - Opening Tailgate with bikes loaded

So, I have a Thule Velospace 918 tow ball mounted bike rack,I use this as I have Fat bikes and this is quite a heavy duty bike carrier, it is also designed to carry electric bikes. This was bought before I had my T6 so I was hoping it would fit ok, anyway on initial fitting it caught the tailgate by around 1mm (seriously) but it had to work for ME, so if I tilt the carrier towards the tailgate on the tow ball and lock it down it now clears the tailgate, yippee.
When you use the tilt mechanism it still catches, but I have removed for now the wire cable that restricts the tilt, so it all works for ME. I know this may not be suitable for everyone but it’s saved me a small fortune in having to buy a new bike rack.

I hope this is of some help to others.

Last edited:
Glad it works :thumbsup: For others, you might want to mention what type of towbar you have.

I’m definitely going down the tow bar mounted route, and prefer the folding platform style to the hanging style.

I’ve found that this Atera STRADA DL3 gives tons of clearance but it’s a three bike, the two bike version has less clearance but might well do.

Has anyone used a 2 bike tow bar platform that actually does allow the tailgate enough clearance to open??

Ta

Well the Atera STRADA DL3 arrived today. What a cracking bit of kit.
So far I’ve just had time to unpack it and pop it on the van, and pop two bikes on. I’ll take pics later in the week, but the main thing is that tailgate easily clears yeaaah!

One quick point, the bike rack slides backwards out of the way, it’s not hinged like others I’ve seen, consequently putting the bikes upright again is easy peasy as you are not lifting.

Full report to follow

in theory my Uebler 90 degree does....but it's still in its box and I'm only picking up my camper this weekend (i hope!). it might take me a few weeks to get them together and with the bikes (camper will be in storage) to give a full 'review' with pics etc.
ok, here we go....

I finally got my camper yesterday, tried fitting the Uebler onto the dealer fit VW towbar...and yes, it's too high to allow the tailgate to open/close. argggghhhhhhhhh

Shame though, it folds up so small, so if your towbar is low enough it would be a nice bit of kit. Now i need to see if the supplier will take it back :(

Sorry about the”Like” button Simon, it was meant to be more of a thank you for letting us know.

I’ve not forgotten about doing a review of the Atera Strada, but I’m going to be using it in anger next week and a full report will follow.

Has anybody tried the Thule Easyfold XT?
It seems to fold up very small. Would be interested to see if the handlebars touch the boot and if it can open.

I'm interested in this for when I get my LWB van back. I was originally going to go tailgate mounted rack - I need to carry 3 bikes and occasionally 4. But then my converter suggested having a board mouted on the rear of the Cali seat with front axle mounts fitted. So I move cali seat forwards take off the front wheels and mount the drop outs onto the axle mounts - neat. I should be able to get 3 bikes with the bars turned parallel to the bikes.
This will work for short day and weekend trips. But for two weeks in the Alps I'm thinking I might need the space inside.

So I'm now back thinking about a rear external option as well. I do like the ease with which the tow bar Altera one can be mounted compared to the tailagte version. This has the added bonus that I can have a rear spoiler fitted as well:).

One concern though is.......
As the tow bar mounted racks tip towards the floor, those with "low" tow bars and lowered suspension may struggle to open the tailgate? I'm lowered by 30 40mm then when fully loaded I guess I could be a bit lower.....
Anyone fitted these with lowered suspension?

So what is the "highest" tow bar option? Ideally a removable tow bar to keep the rear end clean - we don't like dirty rears but looks v £££ is always a compromise. Anyone know what the going rate for supply and fit is including electrics and any coding?

I am lowered 40mm on springs and have a westfalia detachable towbar with a Thule towbar mounted rack and it tips over fine to open tailgate
The floor is not the limiting factor of tip angle, it goes over so far and just stops, I often reverse up to the curb outside my house and the rack will tip over it to allow tailgate to open without anything touching the floor

I am lowered 40mm on springs and have a westfalia detachable towbar with a Thule towbar mounted rack and it tips over fine to open tailgate
The floor is not the limiting factor of tip angle, it goes over so far and just stops, I often reverse up to the curb outside my house and the rack will tip over it to allow tailgate to open without anything touching the floor

What did you pay for your tow bar fitting with electrics?

Can’t remember exactly but was around 450-500 for weatfalia detachable with 13 pin socket

I'm interested in this for when I get my LWB van back. I was originally going to go tailgate mounted rack - I need to carry 3 bikes and occasionally 4. But then my converter suggested having a board mouted on the rear of the Cali seat with front axle mounts fitted. So I move cali seat forwards take off the front wheels and mount the drop outs onto the axle mounts - neat. I should be able to get 3 bikes with the bars turned parallel to the bikes.
This will work for short day and weekend trips. But for two weeks in the Alps I'm thinking I might need the space inside.

So I'm now back thinking about a rear external option as well. I do like the ease with which the tow bar Altera one can be mounted compared to the tailagte version. This has the added bonus that I can have a rear spoiler fitted as well:).

One concern though is.......
As the tow bar mounted racks tip towards the floor, those with "low" tow bars and lowered suspension may struggle to open the tailgate? I'm lowered by 30 40mm then when fully loaded I guess I could be a bit lower.....
Anyone fitted these with lowered suspension?

So what is the "highest" tow bar option? Ideally a removable tow bar to keep the rear end clean - we don't like dirty rears but looks v £££ is always a compromise. Anyone know what the going rate for supply and fit is including electrics and any coding?
yes, the problem isn't the (primary) floor...it's the mount/fixing on top of the towball that won't allow the tailgate to open past the mount/carrier..if you have a 'high' towbar like mine (dealer fit VW). Hope this makes sense.

Just ordered an Atera STRADA DL 3 cycle tow ball rack for £345 which seems to me to be VFM (if it does what it is supposed to)

I am assured that the tailgate will clear the rack, and it looks pretty good on the video clip. They could not give that assurance on the 2 bike carrier, and said that they have had these returned in exchange for the three bike carrier which has more clearance.

(Couldn’t get it in the more attractive and faster black :rofl:)

I’ll report back team.
Hi Oldrat,
I hope you are still pleased with your Atera rack. I am looking at these but can’t find it as cheap as£345. Hope you don’t mind me asking but where did you purchase from???.
Regards
Patch

This is the one, clearly a price hike though £395

For peace of mind ring to order and check, they are familiar with T6 tailgate and will ensure your rack allows the tailgate to open. They don’t recommend the two bike version, so get the 3 bike one.

Atera STRADA DL 3 to 4 bike carrier (UK lights) no. AR2603.
Thanks for your reply...yes probably a seasonal adjustment, I already have a 3 bike carrier (Buzzrack) that tilts but just catches on the vertical tailgate of our van so cannot open. I mention that so others can dismiss the Buzzrack for T6.

Thanks for your reply...yes probably a seasonal adjustment, I already have a 3 bike carrier (Buzzrack) that tilts but just catches on the vertical tailgate of our van so cannot open. I mention that so others can dismiss the Buzzrack for T6.
Different types and makes of tow bars will have the ball at varying heights and distance from the bumper/tailgate swing (in my case the edge of the opening tailgate clears the ball by 60mm). Consequently because a particular rack works/doesn’t work on a particular van is no guarantee you’ll get the same results.

Different types and makes of tow bars will have the ball at varying heights and distance from the bumper/tailgate swing (in my case the edge of the opening tailgate clears the ball by 60mm). Consequently because a particular rack works/doesn’t work on a particular van is no guarantee you’ll get the same results.
Very true....so just for record I have detachable Westfalia and a 3 bike tilt-able buzz rack. This combination will not clear the tailgate enough to open.

Very true....so just for record I have detachable Westfalia and a 3 bike tilt-able buzz rack. This combination will not clear the tailgate enough to open.
Worth including the clearance between the top of the ball and the opening tailgate together with an estimate of how much more would be required??

Yes I’m very happy with it.
Here’s pics of my tow bar (Westphalia removeable) there’s a number on it in the second pic if that’s any use?

And here’s the clearance from the tailgate.

CD9134C1-8340-4B62-B29E-F1AA840DE5EA.jpeg E89DA525-9BFE-49FD-A33A-A9567B614069.jpeg
7DC076C5-45F0-4B13-B6C2-5783161A7365.jpeg

Last edited:
Back