VW Tailgate Bike Rack - Opening Tailgate with bikes loaded

I am looking for a bike rack for my tailgate van, and was considering the VW California rack. However it looks from reading the descriptions that you can’t open it with bikes on. Isn’t that quite a pain when traveling and needing to get to items in the rear?

Any other suggestions? My last van was a barn door van and the rack allowed opening of the doors with bikes in so I assumed this was standard, but is it just a fact that with a tailgate and bikes in place that access is limited?

Haven't bought yet but I'm going to go with the Fiamma T6 Pro - mainly because I only need to carry two bikes.
My understanding is that the tailgate struts need to be uprated - not sure if Calis have this as std.

I have had a VW bike rack fitted and I can confirm that you do need to get updated struts as the standard gas struts will not hold the tailgate up with an empty bike rack.
It would be virtually impossible to open the tailgate with bikes on the rack.

You can get a bike rack that fits on a tow ball and folds down out of the way. Means getting a tow bar fitted if you haven't got one though

I'm guessing VW are also covering there arses regarding your Bar ends denting the roof ?

I'm guessing VW are also covering there arses regarding your Bar ends denting the roof ?
The uprated struts are just to support the weight of the rack. I think it’s more a balance of getting something that you can close - you could probably get stuts capable of supporting 50kg of bikes in the open position but you would then need superhuman strength to close the tailgate with no bikes on.

which also means the bikes don't stick up above the roof height :thumbsup:
Horses for courses. I like the height of the bikes as it means I can still tow my boat and, as they are above the number plate and light clusters, I don’t need an extra light board, etc., when not towing as well.

Horses for courses. I like the height of the bikes as it means I can still tow my boat and, as they are above the number plate and light clusters, I don’t need an extra light board, etc., when not towing as well.
fair point. My light board is inbuilt in the rack - Uebler i21 90 degree, not cheap but an impressive piece of kit

Excuse the numpty question here please.

What are the upgraded struts like when you want to open the tailgate when the rack is not on the door.

I presume the tailgate is harder to close but it must still be manageable, I would hope that you don’t have to change the struts back when you have finished using the rack??

:confused:

Excuse the numpty question here please.

What are the upgraded struts like when you want to open the tailgate when the rack is not on the door.

I presume the tailgate is harder to close but it must still be manageable, I would hope that you don’t have to change the struts back when you have finished using the rack??

:confused:
Never take my rack off but apparently its quite a struggle (polyzlad used to take his rack off and commented on the extra strength required to close the tailgate without the rack on there)

Look at it another way, the weight of the rack being supported by the uprated struts is only around 15kg - you'd need significantly stronger struts to support the max rack payload of 70KG on top of this - without the rack, and such struts installed, I'd be able to stand on the unladen tailgate without it closing. Another consideration would be the additional stress this would put on the hinges and where they connect to van/tailgate - a few years ago I tried a spare wheel mounted carrier on my Defender - was meant to be good for 3 bikes but with just 1 adult and 1 child bike on it was bowing the back door out - it went straight back for a refund.

Last edited:
Well this seems a lot more tricky than I imagined then! I don’t really fancy taking bikes off the back just to get in to the tailgate. I know it’s not often you need to but on a decent trip away often it’s a case of stuffing the back with luggage etc and you can be sure that there will be something in there that’s needed half way!

Might have to go down the tow bar route then! Also like the idea of the bikes not being above roof height, I’ve just had the van lowered to get under car park barriers!!!

I'd be able to stand on the unladen tailgate without it closing.

That kinda highlights my worry Dave.
If I got a bike rack, I wouldn’t want it to be a permanent fixture.
So with the rack off and the uprated struts in place, my wife would be swinging from the strap trying to close the tailgate!!

That’s given me some other thoughts which are not suitable for here though :rofl: :rofl:

That kinda highlights my worry Dave.
If I got a bike rack, I wouldn’t want it to be a permanent fixture.
So with the rack off and the uprated struts in place, my wife would be swinging from the strap trying to close the tailgate!!

That’s given me some other thoughts which are not suitable for here though :rofl: :rofl:
:) I'm sure she would still be able to close it with the uprated struts when the rack is off, just that it would be more of a struggle than with the standard struts.

Depending how often you plan to take it on and off swapping the struts takes a couple mins as they have snap connectors on the end

image.jpg

image.jpg

20180314_162932.jpgThis is how I've my van set up, might not suit your needs but just putting ideas out there. Room for four full size mountain bikes sitting on top of the wheel arches, fixed in place using delta fork mounts, on a removable piece of plywood which means when I take the bikes out I have the full size van again. Cost about £70 for ply and delta mounts.

We have the new VW T6 bike rack with upgraded struts. It is easy to open and close with no bikes in it. It also stays up with two bikes on it (sometimes depending on air temperature). One is full carbon and one is alu so not the heaviest bikes. To lower it you have to hang onto it and gently let it down otherwise it comes down with a big bang.

Back