Vw Bike Rack - 1200n/900n Struts

Spaghetti

T6 Conversion
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi All,

Just fitted a VW tailgate rack, and with the 900N struts on, it's a bit lazy lifting.

With a pair of 1200N struts on, it's a bit urgent with the way it opens.

Question is.... Has anyone put a 1200N one on side and 900N on the other, long term?

any adverse effects? It seems to open nicely with one of each?

Also bare in mind that the temperature affects the lifting. The hotter it is, the more power the gas struts have. You need to be happy for the range of temperatures you envisage.

Also bare in mind that the temperature affects the lifting. The hotter it is, the more power the gas struts have. You need to be happy for the range of temperatures you envisage.

It's been quite warm today, and it nearly launches me when I open the tailgate!

Yeah I have the bike rack, and the 1200n are recommended but it’s a pain to shut.

Can't see why one of each would be a problem, the extra loading is probably no different than opening the door in the wind or closing it from one side.

I found by just upgrading one of the struts it opens less urgently and when the rack is not fitted it’s no too difficult to shut.

Cheers chaps.

My initial thoughts were on the same line. Some cars still function ok when one strut leaks and it doesn’t twist the lid.

I might downgrade one strut to the OEM 900n.

Shame you don't live near me, I'd swap one of my 985s for a 1200 as I want to do the same thing

Back