V-Power v Standard Diesel

480bhp

204 DSG SWB T6
T6 Pro
Thought id post me experience from my 1st 5200 miles covered in the T6.

It's pretty much loaded to the same level all the time and driving is similar for most of my journeys.

On standard diesel i tend to get 31.5mpg on average over a tank. (17.6p per mile)

On Vpower i seem to be getting 34mpg on average over a tank. (17.6p per mile)

Now i'm not normally swayed by the Power diesels as it's never had any beneficial effect on any diesel i'v had before, But i wonder if the additives in the fuel are preventing the T6 regenerating so often which is helping with the significant difference in mpg, or some other factor.

Bearing in mind the difference in price is approx 45p per gallon, there's no actual cost saving choosing either fuel, but i'm going to stick with the Vpower as it must be having some beneficial effect which may be a monetary saving in the long run!

Thought id post me experience from my 1st 5200 miles covered in the T6.

It's pretty much loaded to the same level all the time and driving is similar for most of my journeys.

On standard diesel i tend to get 31.5mpg on average over a tank. (17.6p per mile)

On Vpower i seem to be getting 34mpg on average over a tank. (17.6p per mile)

Now i'm not normally swayed by the Power diesels as it's never had any beneficial effect on any diesel i'v had before, But i wonder if the additives in the fuel are preventing the T6 regenerating so often which is helping with the significant difference in mpg, or some other factor.

Bearing in mind the difference in price is approx 45p per gallon, there's no actual cost saving choosing either fuel, but i'm going to stick with the Vpower as it must be having some beneficial effect which may be a monetary saving in the long run!
I don't have a shell garage anywhere around me, otherwise I'd be tempted to give this a go.

Super petrols have a higher octane rating so in some cases, they can be good for high performance cars.

But the cetane rating on super diesels is no higher and it's a commercial van engine so I'm not convinced.

Super petrols have a higher octane rating so in some cases, they can be good for high performance cars.

But the cetane rating on super diesels is no higher and it's a commercial van engine so I'm not convinced.

With the Petrol, the difference is for performance reasons (Bhp/Octane)
Whereas the main reason for using on a diesel is the additives contained within the fuel, which are (supposed) to aid with keeping the engine running cleaner, there is probably no difference (in terms of Bhp/Torque) between both diesels.

Time will tell if it's beneficial in any other way (Maybe!)

As someone involved in the marketing trade (more or less), I'm deeply sceptical of fuel industry marketing.

But I do wish Tesco would sell Momentum petrol near us; used it in the M135i on my track day and it went (even more) like stink!

All my track cars performed better with Vpower, and you could feel the difference in the RS6 too, but that was remapped so probably made better use of the higher octane rating.

All my track cars performed better with Vpower, and you could feel the difference in the RS6 too, but that was remapped so probably made better use of the higher octane rating.
Turbocharged petrol cars benefit the most from super fuels especially the rally rep Jap cars.
I find the difference is almost imperceptible in normally aspirated cars, even ones with serious power.

I have measured my tanks since day one and I have used both fuels for multiple tanks to get an idea if it actually makes a difference. V power for 3 tanks then standard for 3 tanks. I only use shell fuel anyway add I get points to put power petrol in my prelude for free.

V power diesel makes absolutely no difference. I still average 28mpg and 30mpg if I really try and drive without enjoyment.

Petrol on the other hand. Massive difference. Difference between pre detonation and epic unicorn power.

I use millers diesel power boost to add cetane on every fill.

Higher octane fuels also degrade quicker losing their higher octane rating and as they often sit in the forecourt tanks longer, there can be cases of premium petrols actually having a lower rating than standard fuel...

I like the thought of using the expensive Amber nectar in my mk1, makes me feel like I'm giving the old girl a cider on a hot summers day, what do you market polzeylad? Lowering springs?:laugh:

I like the thought of using the expensive Amber nectar in my mk1, makes me feel like I'm giving the old girl a cider on a hot summers day, what do you market polzeylad? Lowering springs?:laugh:
I work for Kahn...

NOT REALLY!!

It's more PR; Sky, some big charities, a few manufacturers, all sorts really.

I'm moving down near you soon polzeylad, St issey, so keep your eyes peeled for the red baron, oh and the mk1:), Kahn as in range rovers?

I'm moving down near you soon polzeylad, St issey, so keep your eyes peeled for the red baron, oh and the mk1:), Kahn as in range rovers?
Nice one! I know a few people from that way.

Yep Kahn who "enhance" RRs, Bentleys, LRs, etc. Vile.

For comparison, I couldn't tell any difference in my 120d when using shell V power or ASDA own brand, however, In the Porsche I only ever use Shell V Power...

The van will be fed a diet of standard Diesel, with an occasional Millers additive which I used in my remapped A4 to good effect.

For comparison, I couldn't tell any difference in my 120d when using shell V power or ASDA own brand, however, In the Porsche I only ever use Shell V Power...

The van will be fed a diet of standard Diesel, with an occasional Millers additive which I used in my remapped A4 to good effect.
Boxster?

Back