Vote: Normal / Faulty noise 102PS

Is this noise normal?

• Yes it’s completely normal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No it’s got a fault

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters
Thanks for your reply.

Sounds very similar to mine before it had the flywheel done. If I’m honest it sounds louder / worse. Is yours booked in for diagnostic? I’m going to take mine for a good drive & then let it idle & see if I get any rattling after.. il be very glad once it’s all fixed

Im probably gonna give them a ring tomorrow and see if I can book her in. Just watched my vid back and the noise comes across louder than it does in person.

Last edited:
Im beginning to think it’s a clutch release bearing that’s at fault on the van, even tho my clutch was inspected I think the bearing is worn. I know it’s not the flywheel, so it’s either an internal gearbox bearing noise or the clutch release bearing. It’s a rotational noice when the clutch isn’t pushed down so it’s spinning, when it’s engaged it stops it, release it again & it comes back. I can feel a slight roughness when the clutch engages on the pedal & also you can here the clutch engaging loudly which I’m pretty certain shouldn’t be as loud as it is..

It's not the release bearing, That would be noisy when the pedal was depressed. i.e. when the bearing has weight on it when it is pressed against the clutch cover.

Im beginning to think it’s a clutch release bearing that’s at fault on the van, even tho my clutch was inspected I think the bearing is worn. I know it’s not the flywheel, so it’s either an internal gearbox bearing noise or the clutch release bearing. It’s a rotational noice when the clutch isn’t pushed down so it’s spinning, when it’s engaged it stops it, release it again & it comes back. I can feel a slight roughness when the clutch engages on the pedal & also you can here the clutch engaging loudly which I’m pretty certain shouldn’t be as loud as it is..

It's not a clutch release bearing as that is in fresh air doing absolutely nothing until you press the pedal. I'm the one that mentioned the gearbox clatter in the other thread. People think that when you select a gear, you are bringing the gears on the input and output shafts into mesh, however what you are actually moving is the synchro hubs that engages the gear to the shaft. This means that all of the forward drive gears are always in mesh, however the gears that are engaged using the synchro hub are actually rotating independantly to the shaft they sit on - this gives an audible clatter when in neutral and the clutch is not engaged as all the gears (apart from reverse) are in mesh and rotating.

edit - If you have a six speed box with the three output shafts, 5th and 6th gears are not rotating as VW disconnects those from the input shaft where as the other gears are disconnected from the respective output shafts.

Last edited:
It's not a clutch release bearing as that is in fresh air doing absolutely nothing until you press the pedal. I'm the one that mentioned the gearbox clatter in the other thread. People think that when you select a gear, you are bringing the gears on the input and output shafts into mesh, however what you are actually moving is the synchro hubs that engages the gear to the shaft. This means that all of the forward drive gears are always in mesh, however the gears that are engaged using the synchro hub are actually rotating independantly to the shaft they sit on - this gives an audible clatter when in neutral and the clutch is not engaged as all the gears (apart from reverse) are in mesh and rotating.

Thanks for your input. Do you think then it’s a noise that is normal for this type of set up? Or due think it has an internal gearbox issue? Cheers

Thanks for your input. Do you think then it’s a noise that is normal for this type of set up? Or due think it has an internal gearbox issue? Cheers
Gearbox clatter is totally normal although most people don't really notice it unless you're parked next to a wall or have a nice quiet petrol engine. The fact that you have a new flywheel and it goes away as soon as the clutch is depressed would suggest gearbox clatter - what's interesting on yours is that the noise didn't start for four minutes. I think someone suggested a metal bar or stethoscope to find where the noise is coming from and that's what I'd do next just to identify if it's gearbox or flywheel.

Gearbox clatter is totally normal although most people don't really notice it unless you're parked next to a wall or have a nice quiet petrol engine. The fact that you have a new flywheel and it goes away as soon as the clutch is depressed would suggest gearbox clatter - what's interesting on yours is that the noise didn't start for four minutes. I think someone suggested a metal bar or stethoscope to find where the noise is coming from and that's what I'd do next just to identify if it's gearbox or flywheel.

Thank you for the advice. Iv noticed today it will also clear the noise if I use the throttle, not sure if that gives any clues to what it mite be.. just a quick rev of the throttle & it’s gone.

Increasing the revs will have an effect on both the DMF and the gearbox noise as the engine speed will be more constant and smoother (place your hand on the oil filler cap when the engine is idling and then ask someone to raise the RPM slightly and you'll feel it).

In either case, the fact you have a new flywheel fitted means you have nothing to worry about. The chances of the springs failing in the new DMF already are extremely low and you already know what they sound like when they have failed. If the noise is from the gearbox that's completely normal too due to the lash between the meshed gears that are running unloaded.

Right, had my van in for a diagnostic check to see if it is a failing DMF and after having it for the day (left it there the day before so they could cold start it), they’re confident it’s not. They’ve assured me the knocking noise is down to blocked or partially blocked injectors and put an additive in the tank. Not sure I’m convinced but I’ll give it a go for now.

Right, had my van in for a diagnostic check to see if it is a failing DMF and after having it for the day (left it there the day before so they could cold start it), they’re confident it’s not. They’ve assured me the knocking noise is down to blocked or partially blocked injectors and put an additive in the tank. Not sure I’m convinced but I’ll give it a go for now.

Interesting.. even though when you put your foot on the clutch the noise goes? Weirdly I called VW today as mine is booked in next week to continue diagnostics, they said briefly said on the phone the noise doesn’t sound like gearbox or clutch, I’m baffled as to what it could be if it’s not drive train, sure it is haha

I dropped my T6 of at VW on Monday & the gearbox is being removed for the second time. They have confirmed the noise & want to check / replace the flywheel again. Iv authorised a new clutch this time for piece of mind.

I dropped my T6 of at VW on Monday & the gearbox is being removed for the second time. They have confirmed the noise & want to check / replace the flywheel again. Iv authorised a new clutch this time for piece of mind.
Hi - I'm digging up an old thread here but reading about the issues you've had and it sounds remarkably similar to what's currently happening with my van. 2022 T28 110, I had the chattering issue at approx. 4.5k miles. It went into the dealership who promptly replaced the DMF but within a week or so I noticed the same noise again. So, it's currently back in the dealership for another investigation.

Just wondering where you got to with this in the end? Did whatever the dealership do with the gearbox the second time around fix the issue? And if so, did they confirm what the problem was?

Thanks in advance.

Hi - I'm digging up an old thread here but reading about the issues you've had and it sounds remarkably similar to what's currently happening with my van. 2022 T28 110, I had the chattering issue at approx. 4.5k miles. It went into the dealership who promptly replaced the DMF but within a week or so I noticed the same noise again. So, it's currently back in the dealership for another investigation.

Just wondering where you got to with this in the end? Did whatever the dealership do with the gearbox the second time around fix the issue? And if so, did they confirm what the problem was?

Thanks in advance.
I had the dreaded noise on cold starts, pressing the clutch in stopped it… took it to an Indy who also has a t6 and works on them regularly. Left it with them overnight and when they started it next day could tell instantly it was DMF. Had them replace it yet in my mind there is still a very faint version of the noise present.
I trust the garage so feel confident the DMF was changed. They did the clutch and release bearing at the same time and changed the gearbox oil as I requested that, cause you know - who doesn’t like paying more.

So I can only imagine the DMFs for VW vans are absolute poop. Mine needed replacement at 35k and the new one hasn’t been silent from day one. At least I know how loud to go before replacing it next time - always look for a positive!

Pretty sure my golf has a DMF and that’s on 100k with no issues at all (still original clutch and DMF).

I had the dreaded noise on cold starts, pressing the clutch in stopped it… took it to an Indy who also has a t6 and works on them regularly. Left it with them overnight and when they started it next day could tell instantly it was DMF. Had them replace it yet in my mind there is still a very faint version of the noise present.
I trust the garage so feel confident the DMF was changed. They did the clutch and release bearing at the same time and changed the gearbox oil as I requested that, cause you know - who doesn’t like paying more.

So I can only imagine the DMFs for VW vans are absolute poop. Mine needed replacement at 35k and the new one hasn’t been silent from day one. At least I know how loud to go before replacing it next time - always look for a positive!

Pretty sure my golf has a DMF and that’s on 100k with no issues at all (still original clutch and DMF).
Thanks. Looking round this forum it definitely seems to be a common issue.
I'm wondering if anyone has had VW (or indy) do anything other than replace the DMF to resolve it and whether it worked. I get the distinct feeling that the dealership are going to go down the 'normal noise for that vehicle' approach once I hear back from them and then something more serious goes wrong later down the line once I'm out of warranty :confused:

It's the springs that go in the DMF. But they not replaceable.

Most of the cost is labour as the gearbox has to come out to get to the flywheel.

Screenshot_20230524_075224_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20230524_075415_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230524_075314_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Just something else to try before paying out for a DMF, I had the same noise on start up which went away with the clutch pedal pressed. Spoke to my local van service place and they said they’d come across this before and that it could be partially blocked injectors. I put injector cleaner through for about 2 or 3 tank fills and the noise went away! Not saying everyone’s could this, but for £7 something, it’s worth a punt.

Back