Vitrifrigo Fridge Internal Light

RachieB72

Hi I wonder if anyone can help answer my query. I have just found how to keep my fridge door ajar when not in use, a feature that I hadn't realised before! Most useful :) but I see that the internal light of the fridge now remains on when the door is left ajar. Will this drain my van battery? When I am not away, I always switch the fridge off via the knob inside the fridge but am now concerned if I leave the door ajar to try and keep the fridge fresh and aired will my battery drain? Any help would be most appreciated.

If you turn the power to your fridge off , I would have thought that the light would not come on.
Easy to check, turn off and check if light is on with door ajar.
If the light does stay on then over time you will drain your battery as the light is pulling power from it.

If you turn the power to your fridge off , I would have thought that the light would not come on.
Easy to check, turn off and check if light is on with door ajar.
If the light does stay on then over time you will drain your battery as the light is pulling power from it.

Hi AussieMick, thank you for reply. The light does remain on when the fridge dial is switched to off and the door is set to the ajar setting so to me it should really go off because the purpose of the door being left ajar is when the van is not in use so surely the light should definately go off. As you say, it will eventually drain the battery. I do use the van even when not on the road so maybe it will be ok??

You should have a external switch to turn the fridge on and off and not have to use the internal control knob.

Do you have a switch panel for water pump, fridge etc. Are there any visible switches in your van.

Just found this thread.....we have a Vitrifrigo drawer fridge, which a week or so after the last trip smelt a bit foisty and a bit of mould appearing around the seal. I've tried for the life of me to find the fridge light switch around the door seal/closure but cant see anything to temporarily turn the light off and leave the door open.Cannot see a fridge isolator switch with the electrical gubbins. The fuse board is really tucked away behind a cupboard and may have to be partially dismantled to access this so just wondering how I can leave the door open to air without the led light coming on....hhmmm

I just remove the fuse and place it in the top tray of fridge when parked up in garage.

You should know how to isolate the power on all appliances in your van. 12v systems can fail and cause fires, they should be fused correctly but there’s no guarantee with the cowboy installers in the current van market.
Know your van.

You should know how to isolate the power on all appliances in your van. 12v systems can fail and cause fires, they should be fused correctly but there’s no guarantee with the cowboy installers in the current van market.
Know your van.
Agree. You should have a master switch to turn off all 12v appliances.

Still struggling to understand how a fridge can be installed without an on/off switch??

Just found this thread.....we have a Vitrifrigo drawer fridge, which a week or so after the last trip smelt a bit foisty and a bit of mould appearing around the seal. I've tried for the life of me to find the fridge light switch around the door seal/closure but cant see anything to temporarily turn the light off and leave the door open.Cannot see a fridge isolator switch with the electrical gubbins. The fuse board is really tucked away behind a cupboard and may have to be partially dismantled to access this so just wondering how I can leave the door open to air without the led light coming on....hhmmm
I think there's a magnetic reed switch inside the LED light housing, it's operated by the fridge door seal (which is magnetic), just by proximity.

A well placed magnet should turn the light off, but don't go sticking one of these neodymium mega magnets on it, you could damage the reed switch.

Ill have a further look at the weekend and see if I can find one. My converter did a top job and im sure he will of put one somewhere....just finding it! All part of getting to know the van I guess.
Cheers guys.

Back