Victron IP22 Install Location

Cool Carlos

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I'm looking at fitting a Victron IP22 Battery Charger - I've got two possible locations 1) inside a cupboard with minimal airflow or 2) on the outside end of a cabinet. I'd prefer the internal method as it's out of the way, however I have read a few posts where there are concerns about the temperature the Victron can get up to when charging.

Anyone any bad experiences of fitting it inside cupboards, or advice on the best location?

I'm hoping @Dellmassive has some guidance ;)

Cheers

Which version ip22 have you got?

And what leisure battery have you got.?

(Lithium will pull full rate, AGM less so, and run cooler)

The ip22 units are fan assisted and don't get too hot, unlike their DC to DC equivalent.

Follow the install guide about orientation and ventilation gaps.

Post some pics of your layout.

And have a look over here for some inspiration.

Fyi I have two IP22 30A charger's they are very capable, under full load at 30A they do get fairly warm, but the fan keeps things under control.

And they have a low power night mode that runs them lower power and keeps the fan off .

Cheers Lee - still in the planning and costing stage at the moment.

I do know that: 1) I want to get rid of Sargent charger (I've been looking at the Fitting a battery charger with a Sargent EC155 thread with interest) 2) remove Durite split charge system and replace with DC to DC charger and 3) upgrade the current 80Ah Gel Leisure Battery (as below).

I'm running an 80Ah Gel Leisure Battery at the moment but likely to go to either 130Ah AGM or 100Ah Lithium (preferred but much more expensive option). Battery size will depend on what I can get under the seat (BUT the 230Ah Roamer is well over budget!! :(). IP22 model will be sized to suit the Leisure Battery I eventually go for.

Gotcha.

Well as you know I'm a firm advocate of lithium.

And prices are coming down every 6mnth cycle.

So Id defo look at that route. Twice the power as AGM for same size, will probably last twice as long (if not longer)... Some have 10yr warranty now, will power high power device, will charge quicker,will have a better voltage.

Look at the 10-30A charger range for powering your van and charging up any battery when in EHU.

And what DC-DC have to got? Looking at?

Back