Victron Charger & Battery Protect Settings

ltarrant

Just finished installing my leisure battery setup in my van.

I have installed the Victron Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30A Non-Isolated DC-DC charger along with smart battery protect.

I have configured the settings in the charger and protect via the Bluetooth App. Everything appears to be working ok in that the app says the battery is charging when the engine is running.

So far I have just used the AGM spiral cell preset. However, I would ideally like to configure the settings optimally for the AGM battery I have fitted.

Is anyone able to advise me based on the datasheet for my battery linked below as I don't really understand it all.

Additionally at what voltage should I set the battery protect shutdown and restart?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

the battery AGM spec sheets says:

Bulk charge: 14.4v-15.0V <24Amp

then

Float charge: 13.5v-13.8v

1652529389068.png

so the 12/12/30

the factory default is fine.

1652529526003.png

or the AGM spiral is ok.

1652529554612.png

smart protect 65A

+++++++++++

this depends on what loads you are drawing, large loads will cause a volt drop,

that might trigger the smart protect to shut down, so a bit of trial and error is needed.

so with larger loads you need to be brutal with the settings and set them lower.

with light / small loads you need to set the unit higher.

+++++++++

you could try preset #7 as an average.

11.8v shut down

12.8 restart

1652529763863.png

++++++

you dont want the battery to drop below 11v at rest.

but even a light load can cause the battery to drop . . . .

++++

Thanks for the advice. Good to know I will be ok with the default settings for the charger.

Yes it's the 65a Smart Battery Protect.

It's only powering 2 x DC outlets and 6 x 3W LED lights. Generally it will just be a mobile or two charging and lights on. I do have a portable compressor fridge (link below) I plan to plugin to 1 of the outlets when away but Just Kampers site suggests it only 1.2 - 0.5 Ah draw.

Assuming that would be considered a light load? Do you still think preset 7 would be ok?

(Just Kampers 45Lt 12v-230v Electric Compressor Cool Box Fridge / Freezer)

I have currently wired in the charger with ign live switch. However, I am considering refitting the jumper wire so the leisure battery can also be charged when charging the starter battery. Obviously that will make the Engine Shutdown Detection on the charger more critical. Are there recommended setting specific to the T6 for this or will the default be ok?

Thanks again.

the IGN will just deal with the low voltage side of things.

a mains charger should still kick the charger into life with the AUTO VSR setting.

there is full documentation from victron....

I've got a link on my schematic page.....

See here....

the IGN will just deal with the low voltage side of things.

a mains charger should still kick the charger into life with the AUTO VSR setting.

there is full documentation from victron.

I have Victron 100A Battery protect. Can I connect the 1500w inverter to it also?
No, a 1500w inverter will pull above 125A on full load. . . . which is above the 100A rating of the smart protect.

W=V*A

however, if you only draw under 800W or so from the inverter you might be ok and be bellow the 100A limit.

+++

No, a 1500w inverter will pull above 125A on full load. . . . which is above the 100A rating of the smart protect.

W=V*A

however, if you only draw under 800W or so from the inverter you might be ok and be bellow the 100A limit.

+++
I have read that inverter will make back current and Victron battery proytect is not designed to use connected to the inverter?

Back