Vehicles you've test driven with no intention of buying

dubber36

In a place that few understand
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I'm sure we've all done it. I was thinking back to the late 80's in my late teens scanning Auto Trader when it came out on a Friday, then seeing what I could blag a (more often than not unaccompanied) test drive in sometime over the weekend. Some of the cars on my list that spring to mind are,

Triumph Spitfire
Mk1 MR2
S1 RS Turbo
Jetta 16V
Astra GTE 16V
Cavalier GSI
RWD Sapphire Cosworth
24V Carlton GSI

Last edited:
Golf Mk7.5 GTI - salesman shat himself and told me to slow down :thumbsup:
Similar story with a R56 Mini Cooper S.

Jeez. Who lit the fuse on your tampon?
Ha, very good.
Strangely, its something i`ve never done either. The test drive that is, not the lighter.
I did test drive a new LR Discovery when they came out, and told the dealer it was a pile of shit. He seemed surprised !

I new straight away that the demo T6 was like a wallowing hippo ...my previous van experience was a LV Sherpa...but stupidly brought it convincing my self I’d make it better....would have been cheaper to have paid for a RR Cullinan once you add up all the bills :rolleyes:

Years ago I went to a garage to test drive a brand new and very sensible Rover 416, just what I needed, four seats, a decent boot....
An hour or so later I drove away in a nearly new Toyota MR2, not quite the same!

Never chased after a car or bike if I didn't have the money already put by, what if you really wanted it and had to do the "money talks bs walks" walk of shame, saying that I've bought five cars over the years at auction where the proxy test drive is following some Herbert in hi vis driving your next car into the hall.:eek:

I’ve looked at but never driven cars I had no intention of buying! More a case of not winding myself up! I don’t like “tyre kickers” so I won’t be one!

I once test drove a 300bhp wrx Impreza just to shut my mate up as he raved about them. Had absolutely no intention of buying it until I attempted my first overtake. Deal was made in those few seconds.

Back