WLTP causing delays?

Not really. VW are just blaming the VCA/DVLA for the delays. I'm assured that there is no cause for concern, and that it's just a rubber stamping exercise that's being held up by governmental department. I'm getting pretty hacked off to be honest; i struggle to accept that they cant put a time frame on this
this is my exact issue ! I spoke with the VCA yesterday and they told me VW have had ages to sort this issue.
I'm not sure where I stand with deposits etc as I was not made aware of this issue prior to me ordering the vehicle, and as it stands they technically don't have a vehicle to sell me !
this is what I was sent 4 days before I was due to pick the vehicle up.......

This is what we had from VW as did every other dealer in the country:

“Please continue to take customer orders on vehicles in your stock that have been blocked, because we anticipate they will be able to take delivery of their vehicles from about 16 September. Make it clear to customers ordering blocked vehicles that they will not be able to take delivery until we receive the VCA approval needed for registration. We expect to receive this by the middle of September.
Please be assured that we are doing all we can to expedite VCA approval and will contact you as soon as we have any news. We appreciate the impact this is having on your business and apologise for the delays.

Please tell customers who ordered one of these vehicles, and are expecting to take delivery within the next 14 days, that there may be a delay and they will not be able to take delivery until approval has been received from the VCA.”

this is my exact issue ! I spoke with the VCA yesterday and they told me VW have had ages to sort this issue.
I'm not sure where I stand with deposits etc as I was not made aware of this issue prior to me ordering the vehicle, and as it stands they technically don't have a vehicle to sell me !
this is what I was sent 4 days before I was due to pick the vehicle up.......

This is what we had from VW as did every other dealer in the country:

“Please continue to take customer orders on vehicles in your stock that have been blocked, because we anticipate they will be able to take delivery of their vehicles from about 16 September. Make it clear to customers ordering blocked vehicles that they will not be able to take delivery until we receive the VCA approval needed for registration. We expect to receive this by the middle of September.
Please be assured that we are doing all we can to expedite VCA approval and will contact you as soon as we have any news. We appreciate the impact this is having on your business and apologise for the delays.

Please tell customers who ordered one of these vehicles, and are expecting to take delivery within the next 14 days, that there may be a delay and they will not be able to take delivery until approval has been received from the VCA.”

Yes i was also told they'd issued a circular on about 4 September saying there may be two week delays, just as you got. We are now over three weeks past that revised deadline with absolutely no update or indication on timing. I think that's pretty poor customer service, to say the least.

As regards deposits, i'd say you would have a good argument to rescind the contract on the basis that they are unable to fulfil their obligation.

I received this on the 16th !
my biggest concern is being in this position still at christmas

just received this email from VCA, interesting for them to say VW have the necessary approval ???

Hi John,

Thank you for your call yesterday.

It is the manufacturer’s responsibility to ensure that any new vehicle offered for sale in the UK either meets current legislative requirements, or has otherwise been granted derogation from VCA that will allow its sale and registration. In any event, the Volkswagen application was processed before the end of August 2019, so Volkswagen has the necessary approval to register vehicles covered by the relevant derogation application.

You will need to contact the dealer / Volkswagen for confirmation of a release date of your vehicle.

The following link provides further information details on what an end of series derogation is and how manufacturers can apply: https://www.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/legislation/end-of-series-derogation-applications.asp

When you spoke to the VCA did you give specifics of your vehicle, or was it a more generic enquiry?

I have since spoken with them again and this is the answer I recieved when I asked about my specific vehicle which is the same as your's

Hi John,

I have doubled checked with the Legislation Team and all Volkswagen van applications were processed early August 2019 by VCA and have been approved.

Just doesn’t make sense though; why would VW sit on vehicles if they’ve been approved? That wouldn’t be in their interest at all.

I know ! I'm just awaiting confirmation that my actual vehicle has recieved the approval from VCA.

once I have this confirmed I'm contacting my dealer with the information for an explanation !

How are you identifying your vehicle? Chassis number?

Please can you PM me the details of the guy at the VCA that you’re speaking to. That would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
In case it is of interest to anyone, after many promises and missed deadlines from VW, this is the latest circular issued by VW themselves

Most of our NEDC N1 and WLTP M1 vehicles now have derogation approval and have been available for registration since September. Some T6 NEDC N1 models do not have derogation, but we now have a clearer view of the timescales involved, reasons for the delay and support to assist customer handling.

Reason for delay

In August this year, all manufacturers were asked to provide a detailed technical and economic justification to support their derogation applications. The technical justification had to be provided by our factory.

The Transporter N1 product offering is complex and the factory had to undertake, in conjunction with authorities in Germany, significant detailed product evaluations before it could give us the necessary information to support our derogation request.

Expected timing for deliveries to customers

The evaluations mentioned above are almost complete and the factory will be able to provide the required data to support our technical justification this week (build week 47).

We will submit our final derogation application as soon as we have this information and will ask the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) for a prompt turnaround.

We expect deliveries of T6 N1 units to recommence in late November or early December.

Apparently, the application has now finally been submitted, but who knows what to actually believe. Apparently 600+ vans awaiting sign off. The wait continues....

Back