Vehicle modification question

Alan Ginger

Psychiatric Nurse (retired)
T6 Guru
Can you help me out here: I am having my shocks and springs: Koni shocks and H&R springs ( parts supplied by Steve at CRS Performance) done and my question is does this effect my insurance Policy or my VW warranty? Do I inform the insurance company that I am having the work done? Thanks again

Always tell your insurance company of any changes from the factory specification.

As for warranty, this will be unaffected unless the aftermarket parts are proven to have caused an issue with the vehicle. The aftermarket parts themselves will not be covered by VW either.

Always tell your insurance company of any changes from the factory specification.

As for warranty, this will be unaffected unless the aftermarket parts are proven to have caused an issue with the vehicle. The aftermarket parts themselves will not be covered by VW either.
Thank you S700: would that also include the paint work I had done on the grille too?

Technically speaking, yes, but a lot of insurers don’t charge additional premium for minor cosmetic changes.

Anything you alter from factory standard will take the warranty off that part, and potentially other parts affected, but VW would have to prove this.

Obviously anything you fit should come with its own equivalent warranty.

And always tell your insurers of any modifcations

Tell the insurers everything and let them say it doesn’t matter. I also like to ask them to confirm that the call is recorded....!

Can you help me out here: I am having my shocks and springs: Koni shocks and H&R springs ( parts supplied by Steve at CRS Performance) done and my question is does this effect my insurance Policy or my VW warranty? Do I inform the insurance company that I am having the work done? Thanks again
Just to give you an idea on cost, LV insurance charged me £39.00 to include the following (stated on the policy)

Has the following changes from manufacturer's standard specification:
l Suspension Changes
l Side Skirts/Sills
l Wheels - Alloy

I guess other insurers would charge different amounts though.

All sorted with the insurance company:
alloy wheels ( which were on it when I bought the van )
Suspension Changes
Head Unit and reversing camera
and paint work
£40 extra with Caravan and Motorhome Club

If you are worried call them. I have forced an insurer to provide cover because the agent entered my mods wrong. The statement of fact didn't have the mods but the call proved I had told them.

I think many of the online forms are ambiguous.

Back