Vehicle Excise Duty / Tax/ RFL

Hi, I just thought you might be interested in my recent T6 Transporter purchase. It started out in October 2017 when I ordered my new transporter from Swindon VW van centre. When I purchased it I was not aware that if a vehicle had windows down it, the DVLA treated it as a car, not a van. The sales person in the dealer was also not aware as my invoice has £240 for road fund which is the correct amount for a van. 5 months later I get a letter from VW UK telling me how sorry they were for the delays etc but due to its emissions it would now go up a road tax band. This confused me as the letter was implying it was a car not a van. Off I troop to Swindon to query this and low and behold yes, it is a car not a van. Oh I say is there any implications for that, well only if it has a list price above £40k i'm told. We sit in the dealership adding up the cost of the car. This includes the list price for the basic unit plus any extras, plus any discount the dealer has offered you. The only things not included are first registration fee and VED (road fund fee). Well my van, sorry I mean car comes to £39850. So everyone happy, dealer tells me I am a winner so I go home happy. Car eventually arrives on the 31st March and I collect it. One week later my V5 comes through. I have a quick read and in bold letters it states CAR OVER £40K so add on another £320 to the road tax for the first 5 years. I ring the DVLA to try and understand this. Well low and behold it is the list price when registered, not purchased. So the fact that it has taken 5 months to come and in the mean time VW have put their prices up, my car is now over the limit. Guess what, the dealer seems to think that is my problem!
It's mind blowing, one a man dealer doesn't know whether it is a car or van, two doesn't know how the DVLA works on car list price and three the DVLA could have such a STUPID system. Please tell me how do you buy a car that is close to £40k if you don't know whether the car company may raise their prices before you get it.

Hi, I just thought you might be interested in my recent T6 Transporter purchase. It started out in October 2017 when I ordered my new transporter from Swindon VW van centre. When I purchased it I was not aware that if a vehicle had windows down it, the DVLA treated it as a car, not a van. The sales person in the dealer was also not aware as my invoice has £240 for road fund which is the correct amount for a van. 5 months later I get a letter from VW UK telling me how sorry they were for the delays etc but due to its emissions it would now go up a road tax band. This confused me as the letter was implying it was a car not a van. Off I troop to Swindon to query this and low and behold yes, it is a car not a van. Oh I say is there any implications for that, well only if it has a list price above £40k i'm told. We sit in the dealership adding up the cost of the car. This includes the list price for the basic unit plus any extras, plus any discount the dealer has offered you. The only things not included are first registration fee and VED (road fund fee). Well my van, sorry I mean car comes to £39850. So everyone happy, dealer tells me I am a winner so I go home happy. Car eventually arrives on the 31st March and I collect it. One week later my V5 comes through. I have a quick read and in bold letters it states CAR OVER £40K so add on another £320 to the road tax for the first 5 years. I ring the DVLA to try and understand this. Well low and behold it is the list price when registered, not purchased. So the fact that it has taken 5 months to come and in the mean time VW have put their prices up, my car is now over the limit. Guess what, the dealer seems to think that is my problem!
It's mind blowing, one a man dealer doesn't know whether it is a car or van, two doesn't know how the DVLA works on car list price and three the DVLA could have such a STUPID system. Please tell me how do you buy a car that is close to £40k if you don't know whether the car company may raise their prices before you get it.

Easy buy a VW Van

Hi, new to site and looking to upgrade my T5 campervan to a T6.

Just one question... The Van Im looking at is a November 2017 150 Lwb DSG. Does anyone know what the VED will be and is it loaded for 5 years?

Cheers

Lee

Unlike cars, vans under 3500kg have a flat rate of VED - £250 (up from £240 last year). I understand there are also plans to look at euro 6 engined vans to address the anomaly whereby older, more polluting euro 4 and 5 vans, pay less (£140) but nothing definite yet.

If the van you are looking at started life as a van you would continue to pay the van VED rate regardless of conversion to "Motor Caravan" with DVLA, it would still have a taxation class of Light Good Vehicle/Private Light Goods.

I recently converted my VW Transporter SWB , 4 motion.

I have has it turned into camper with pop up roof, cooker , fridge etc,

When I went to road Tax, it is listed as , "Light Goods Vehicle. " At £250 per annum.

On my insurance it is listed as Camper Van.

Is all correct, me paying road tax in the " light goods category " ?, or should their be a different category , listing it as camper ?

Same price as it's on emissions now for our age of the vehicle.

The vehicle tax classification remains the same as when first registered. Gov.uk is a good reference.

Another wee advantage of a Shuttle. Even though in my case, its converted and re registered with DVLA as a motor caravan, its tax is still classed as diesel car and based on its emissions. £200 this year.

You prob been caught in the more recent over £40k bracket so get punished at the start

I still think they should do away with road tax and put the cost of the price of fuel.

Reactions: Loz
You prob been caught in the more recent over £40k bracket so get punished at the start

Sure did. I didn't even give it a thought as a years tax was included in the negotiated sale price. Bugger. I'll know for next time.

I still think they should do away with road tax and put the cost of the price of fuel.

I've said that for a long time. My Mk2 Golf GTI that does a couple of hundred miles a year costs something like £150 to tax for 6 summer months, whereas my neighbours little ecobox costs nothing for him to do as many miles as he likes. Which one is the more polluting?

Back