Vehicle Battery replacement - coding

AussieMick

T6 Guru
I have a 2016 T6 with a euro 5 caac engine, I've had the van for just over 5 years and have started to think the original starter battery may be nearing its reliable life.

Does anyone know if a replacement battery of the same type and size (cca) etc need coding on my era of van.

My concern is if I am miles from civilization and it dies on me a small garage in the middle of nowhere wont have a clue about coding.

Thanks for any advice.

I can’t answer your question but you can code the battery yourself if you need to with OBDeleven.

An exact replacement (AH and TYPE) wouldn't need coding. If you have a MOLL and go for an EXIDE or BOSCH of the exact same type no coding required.
If the amp hour or the battery type (ie LA to GELL) changes then yes, it would need coding.

Ok thanks, so does coding just tell the electrical management system the type (eg agm, ) and size (eg 75ah) so it can calculate charging via the alternator for power in and power out to keep it about 80% charged.

It tells it the type and size but also coding it in resets the battery charging profile so all batteries should be coded when replacing
The van doesn’t know if the new battery if fully charged, flat or somewhere in between and this is why coding it tells the van a new unit is there and it will recalibrate itself

I hope somebody could help me out plz regarding battery replacement.

I’ve recently charged from a Varta 75Ah to a Varta 80Ah battery and I was wondering if I would be able to just change to the Ah from 75 to 80 in VCDS only, reason being is the new battery didn’t come with a BEM serial. Tried to contact Clarios the people behind Varta batteries but the won’t answer the phone nor reply to my email.

Cheers Kev

The serial is not important it’s just an identifier, change it to anything you like, it’s just letting the Van know it’s a different battery and to reset/recalibrate the charging regime

Hi away to replace my dead starter battery as it’s let me down twice now and needed to get jump started both times
Nothing left on and it died after a few days of being left sitting
Am I best just changing like for like size n strength to save coding problems
Or what’s the real benefit of going for a bigger more powerful battery

get yourself a jump pack:

then get a new starter battery:

Back