Variofocal Glasses

Grainfoot

T6 Pro
How can I possibly drive in these.
Just got a pair of prescription ones. Only bit in focus is straight forwards, can't look anywhere to the side without turning head. Is this normal.

Just got a pair of prescription ones. Only bit in focus is straight forwards, can't look anywhere to the side without turning head. Is this normal.
Yes you will find that to begin with, though there are different types which will give you wider distance areas (but with corresponding smaller intermediate and reading areas). The trick is to point your nose where you're looking.

Yes .... it’s what you have to do .... in all situations

Yes you will find that to begin with, though there are different types which will give you wider distance areas (but with corresponding smaller intermediate and reading areas). The trick is to point your nose where you're looking.
Trying that, fall over rocks walking up hill. Also my nose has to be well below line of eye sight to see anything.

Trying that, fall over rocks walking up hill. Also my nose has to be well below line of eye sight to see anything.
They may need dropping down if you're getting distortion looking straight ahead but give them some time first. There are a tiny proportion of people who don't get on with varifocals, but the convenience is worth it if you can persevere.

Edit: I'm an optician by the way

Been wearing variofocals for years as does my wife. Neither of us have ever experienced any issues driving but have always bought the most expensive lenses with the maximum viewing area in the middle. Might be worth a trip back to opticians and get them to check.

How do I look forward driving and then see anyone stepping out into road when all is blurred. Worse perifeeral vision than before I got glasses. the

Which grade of varifocal do you have ? I couldn’t get on with the cheapest type

I've also just started wearing varifocals (principal correction is for shorter distances).

I didn't know there were different grades with lesser or greater extent of peripheral vision until the optician showed examples of different images. I went for the greater peripheral vision, even though they cost more, because it's important to me. I'm not fully used to them yet but find that when driving they do work and I haven't particularly noticed a limitation in side viewing. I can now see the instrumentation clearly as well as the road ahead.

Where I can't yet get on with mine is general walking around because the ground beneath me feet is too far away for the correction at the bottom of the lens!

Go back and tell your optician. They may be set wrong, I have never had any problems with them when I changed over to varifocals but a friend persevered for a few months thinking it was the way she was using them but they had been set incorrectly in the lab.

They are flaming awful..!!!

A year ago I paid £400 for a pair of varifocals and try as I might, I just can't get away from the fact that (a) I must be REALLY blind, and (b) all the focus zone is down an invisible tube. Driving, they are downright dangerous. I have to drive using my neck instead of moving my eyes, meaning everything either side of say 20 degrees left and right of centre is always out of focus. Far more than without the specs..

Reading with them, I get neck ache from putting my head back and looking down my nose. If I try and read a magazine or the laptop pages on here, I get the centre four/five inches in focus, the edges are blurred until I turn my neck.

I've tried, I really have, but the truth is I should have made do with two pairs. One for driving & one for reading. I get better results with a pair of sub £10 readers from the market..

I'm grumbling again now, aren't I..

Sigh.

Did you keep them on for a couple of weeks?

A year ago I paid £400 for a pair of varifocals and try as I might, I just can't get away from the fact that (a) I must be REALLY blind, and (b) all the focus zone is down an invisible tube. Driving, they are downright dangerous. I have to drive using my neck instead of moving my eyes, meaning everything either side of say 20 degrees left and right of centre is always out of focus. Far more than without the specs..

Reading with them, I get neck ache from putting my head back and looking down my nose. If I try and read a magazine or the laptop pages on here, I get the centre four/five inches in focus, the edges are blurred until I turn my neck.

I've tried, I really have, but the truth is I should have made do with two pairs. One for driving & one for reading. I get better results with a pair of sub £10 readers from the market..

Sigh.

I did pay £600 for my glasses with a two year full guarantee, I dropped them and scratched the lens, they were sorted within a couple of days a year after purchase. The lenses are Ellisor

I did pay £600 for my glasses with a two year full guarantee, I dropped them and scratched the lens, they were sorted within a couple of days a year after purchase. The lenses are Ellisor
No good for me. Longest I have had a pair without breaking or getting lost is about 2 months.

Sigh.
I drove in them today for first time. Okay ISH going forwards like driving with head in a goldfish bowl. Turned head round to reverse! Just a blur, neck won't go far enough round to get narrow field of view in focus.

Back