VanStyle advising against 275/40/19

madforitbaz

Van Style advising against 275/40/19. They say "unfortunately due to the rolling radius we would not recommend fitting that tyre size to those wheels as it may cause your speedo to read incorrect." Now unless I am calculating it wrong it actually has a lower Radius than the 255/45/19 they are suggesting I go with. So I questioned them and they replied " with the 275 width there is more contact patch with the road, will be too large". I am pretty sure I have seen lot's of people on here are running 275/40/19? Are they just making up excuses because they don't stock them? Wheelbase are doing 19"s fitted with 275/40/19 but I have read many bad review about them. Wheels are 19" 8.5 ET42. What say the knowledgable members?

You are correct, in that the rolling radius of the 275/40 tyre is less than the 255/45 tyre.
I am running the 255/45/19 option, and when comparing the digital speedo on the MFD to the digital speedo on my GPS they are as close as dammit is to swearing (the speedo probably reads about 0.5mph over what the GPS states).
I know @ZipcodeUK who is running the exact same rims as me, is using the 275/40/19 tyre. He details that his speedo and GPS are almost bang on as well.

Therefore there is very little in it in terms of "speedo accuracy".

Personally I would consider that your supplier has lost some credibility in terms of one minute they say the reason is because of 'x', but then when challenged they change that reason to 'y'. Plus there is no getting away from the fact that the rolling radius of the 275 option is lower than the 255 option (I just prefer to have a bit more sidewall to protect the rim thanks to the poop British highways).

You are correct, in that the rolling radius of the 275/40 tyre is less than the 255/45 tyre.
I am running the 255/45/19 option, and when comparing the digital speedo on the MFD to the digital speedo on my GPS they are as close as dammit is to swearing (the speedo probably reads about 0.5mph over what the GPS states).
I know @ZipcodeUK who is running the exact same rims as me, is using the 275/40/19 tyre. He details that his speedo and GPS are almost bang on as well.

Therefore there is very little in it in terms of "speedo accuracy".

Personally I would consider that your supplier has lost some credibility in terms of one minute they say the reason is because of 'x', but then when challenged they change that reason to 'y'. Plus there is no getting away from the fact that the rolling radius of the 275 option is lower than the 255 option (I just prefer to have a bit more sidewall to protect the rim thanks to the poop British highways).

Thanks for confirming that for me (So I am not stupid after just yet). They are not going to be my supplier after rubbish advise like that. I will source my own rims and better tyres independently and get my local tyre garage to fit them. More faff but better results. Cheers

Ooooo @DaveyB I like that a lot! What drop is that though? looks low..... Dam it, I'm now re-thinking. I drive a T32 Kombi never loaded, but I do sometimes go down gravel roads. I'm currently lowered -40mm with adjustable H&R / Koni Actives on Devonports (20mm / 25mm spacers) and the comfort / ride is more than adequate. After seeing yours I like the idea of running 255/45 allowing me to drop the height without sacrificing much comfort, but would 275/40 with suspension higher be a little better for rough roads?

Current profile

20200321_093105.jpg

I am on Bilstein B14’s, 10mm up from lowest setting on rear, and 5mm up from lowest on front.
I was originally on eibach 30mm springs but found the ride very harsh, so switched to the B14’s. Ride was night and day. Have only just gone to the 19’s and was previously running 18’s on 255/45/18 (so same height of sidewalk as I have on the 19’s). This ultimately means I have not compromised anything in terms of comfort.
The one thing I do think about is getting H&R anti roll bars just to tighten it all up that final notch, but really don’t want to spend anymore money on it.

I've read a lot of posts on his topic, and seen as many vans as possible in the flesh (which is hard right now), so seeing some close up pics of vans and knowing exactly what spec is very helpful, thank you. I think I've decided to go it, the cheap Convid "19" wheel and Tyre package even if they don't know what they are talking about ;o) its a good price and because I have adjustable suspension I can always decide to adjust and run a 275/40 profile later on.

@DaveyB i have those tyres on the 30mm springs and it’s good to know it is the springs and not the wheels that is the problem and it is a problem, I thought I could live with it but want to get them changed out ASAP! I went for the 45s to give a little more but it ain’t working

The Speedo is near as damn it bang on

@DaveyB i have those tyres on the 30mm springs and it’s good to know it is the springs and not the wheels that is the problem and it is a problem, I thought I could live with it but want to get them changed out ASAP! I went for the 45s to give a little more but it ain’t working

The Speedo is near as damn it bang on
Yeah I found lowering springs really uncomfortable, a harsh and crash ride. Ultimately it’s because the shock is not working in its optimum position.

I've read a lot of posts on his topic, and seen as many vans as possible in the flesh (which is hard right now), so seeing some close up pics of vans and knowing exactly what spec is very helpful, thank you. I think I've decided to go it, the cheap Convid "19" wheel and Tyre package even if they don't know what they are talking about ;o) its a good price and because I have adjustable suspension I can always decide to adjust and run a 275/40 profile later on.
If I could offer one piece of advice, it’d be don’t rush. It’s a big chunk of cash that if you get it wrong you’ll be really cheesed off. Prices won’t change that much between now and a couple of months.
Hold off a couple of months and then get yourself to a meet-up. Take a look at different wheels/ tyres and suspension set-ups. Get it wrong and it’s a lot of money to flush.

Yeah I found lowering springs really uncomfortable, a harsh and crash ride. Ultimately it’s because the shock is not working in its optimum position.
That's why I changed the suspension a week after I got it. Previously I'd lowering just the springs on a T5 with 20's and low profile tires, it was horrid. Same with a T4 I had before. The thought of doing it again on a higher sprung T32 oem suspension eeeeer no thanks. I have a bad back, a grumpy wife and two nob head kids. ;o)

Ha ha thanks mate. All the smaller surf boards got moved indoors when the T6 arrived hogging all the car port space. No room for the SUP inside though. Well spotted ;o) You surf?
Yes, thinking I might start a show us your boards thread. I have a few board, mostly SUP and Windsurfing
The Starboard Hypernut 4-1 is the latest and I am trying to learn SUP Foil and Windfoiling :thumbsup:

If I could offer one piece of advice, it’d be don’t rush. It’s a big chunk of cash that if you get it wrong you’ll be really cheesed off. Prices won’t change that much between now and a couple of months.
Hold off a couple of months and then get yourself to a meet-up. Take a look at different wheels/ tyres and suspension set-ups. Get it wrong and it’s a lot of money to flush.
Good advise. My wife will thank you. ;o)

Yes, thinking I might start a show us your boards thread. I have a few board, mostly SUP and Windsurfing
The Starboard Hypernut 4-1 is the latest and I am trying to learn SUP Foil and Windfoiling :thumbsup:
Sweet, Here on the South coast the majority of "surfers" are pretty vocal about their dislike of SUP's never mind SUP foil and Windfoiling. Maybe I should move up far north, better mountain DH biking up there too.

Sweet, Here on the South coast the majority of "surfers" are pretty vocal about their dislike of SUP's never mind SUP foil and Windfoiling. Maybe I should move up far north, better mountain DH biking up there too.
It’s pretty good up here for all the outdoor stuff, cold in the winter but there is good skiing less than an hour away. Never a crowd at the beach. I even have friends who are kite surfers :p
New thread started in the pub

I've read a lot of posts on his topic, and seen as many vans as possible in the flesh (which is hard right now), so seeing some close up pics of vans and knowing exactly what spec is very helpful, thank you.

255/45/19 - 40mm drop on H&R springs and Koni adaptive shocks thanks to CRS Performance

If you have a T32 it will have an upgraded ARB as standard, this T32 ARB is only 2mm diameter difference to that of the H&R upgraded ARB, So not worth the upgrade.

With mine being a 4Mo i wanted to maintain some ride height for minor off road, but bring a degree of comfort to the driveability. Very pleased with this set up...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming that for me (So I am not stupid after just yet). They are not going to be my supplier after rubbish advise like that. I will source my own rims and better tyres independently and get my local tyre garage to fit them. More faff but better results. Cheers
If you have a smaller rolling circumference, won't your van be clocking more miles that the speedo is calibrated for?
Reason being that the wheel will be turning more times than previously with a larger rolling circumference.

Back