Vanshades Window Pod Covering With Milano Lining

Wills

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I'm covering my window pods with foam backed Milano lining and am struggling with the tight angles. It has a good 4 way stretch but when glued down, can pull away from the foam in high stress areas.
Anyone got any tips on “how to” please?
I’m considering removing the foam in these areas so the fabric is glued directly to the surface.

I wasn’t happy with the sliding door pod lining but tried to live with it. Oh well! 2 days later the lining’s off, along with the foam and glue! What a pain to clean up...
Start again :mad::mad::mad:

Any skilled and kind hearted soul going to Busfest who can help me sort out my failings?

Its tricky to be honest. Cant really offer advice as its just the more you do the better you become. Heres one we did to a 'non' van shade blind....Oh and its a transit custom - sorryo_O

Rgds
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

transit blind.jpg

Thanks Ian,

These are the problematic areas for example. Carpet would be easier but I’m using foam backed Milano!

494684A7-7D45-434C-8113-4A156B158C0C.jpeg

E693042A-B241-4EC6-A8A3-DF1464BF197A.jpeg

Yes I know. Should still be possible but will take time, multiple cuts to allow bending around the corners. Probably easier without the foam scrim backing. Carpet will be easier but its thicker so could lead to problems elsewhere. This is one of the reasons we stopped using vanshades was the finishing of the surrounds

Good luck

Is it worth taking the window pod and Milano to Busfest with the hope I can convince a trimmer there to cover it properly? I assume they’ll be trimming companies there?

Do you have a photo of your issue I have covered van shades in various materials.
With good results.
20190720_083620.jpg

Is it worth taking the window pod and Milano to Busfest with the hope I can convince a trimmer there to cover it properly? I assume they’ll be trimming companies there?
I wouldnt have thought someome would do that at the show but i may be wrong. May be easier to send to a company to do it for you

Do you have a photo of your issue I have covered van shades in various materials.
With good results.
View attachment 50215

I think it’s my overall technique and the know how. I don’t think it’s helped by the scrim backing.
The pod is for OEM sliding windows so sits out quite proud.
What’s the best technique @Timr?
25DC89D7-1157-4996-9F1C-D1BAB1DEC1A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Cheers Adam, but there’s no way I could achieve that kind of hand speed!
Watching the video I think:
I need some appropriate adhesive to brush on in the tricky areas.
I need to ditch the scrim backing and probably partially stretch the fabric on the flat bits to ensure it’s not baggy on the forced curves / contours.
Patience .....

Cheers Adam, but there’s no way I could achieve that kind of hand speed!
Watching the video I think:
I need some appropriate adhesive to brush on in the tricky areas.
I need to ditch the scrim backing and probably partially stretch the fabric on the flat bits to ensure it’s not baggy on the forced curves / contours.
Patience .....
I suspect you will struggle to get the scrim off if its been put on properly. Careful not to use too much glue as it will/may bleed throgh the material. The video above he is using leather, less bleed through than fabric, suede etc.
Good luck,
Ian :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The scrim comes away without any hassle. This causes issues with a concave shape as the suede comes away from the foam when under stress.
Possible solution is to split the suede/ scrim on these shapes and glue to scrim and then reglue the suede.

The scrim comes away without any hassle. This causes issues with a concave shape as the suede comes away from the foam when under stress.
Possible solution is to split the suede/ scrim on these shapes and glue to scrim and then reglue the suede.
My shades are carpet on the back so when you look through the window you cant see the edges of the face material.
So on tight corners I staple it.
That in turn holds it all together.
The carpet is fitted after on the back and trimmed out with a scalpel.
And yes a decent brush on glue such as supplied by as trim will hold it better.
Foam backed material is far more prone to creasing unfortunately.

Thanks @Timr , any pics of the back where you’ve carpeted?
What kind of staples have you used? Are they visible?
Do you stretch the material over the simple flat faces to remove the chance of a baggy corner or creases?

Thanks @Timr , any pics of the back where you’ve carpeted?
What kind of staples have you used? Are they visible?
Do you stretch the material over the simple flat faces to remove the chance of a baggy corner or creases?

Hi mate, if your getting creasing along just the flat face then yes when I used this scrim back I would pull a light amount of stretch.

Then in the corners I would split the fabric just after it's gone over the edge.
I would glue it down and fire a staple in.
So the back you can see all the splits in the fabric.
So I took 4 way stretch carpet and covered the back.
You cant see staples or the split edges that's what the carpets hiding.
I will get a photo when I'm with the van.

Back