Vango Kella III Drive-away awnings

Keith1960

So..I want a drive-away awning for my new camper a T6 T28 short wheel base and I don't want to shell out £500 for something which doesn't fit. I have a 6mm side awning rail connector fitted, and would appreciate advice from other owners who already have one?

You need a Kador strip and a set of figure of eight connectors. Fit the connectors onto the awnings and then slide the Kador strip between the rail on your van and the figure of eight

As above, very simple to fit, and out up - The best on the market. We sell Vango if you want a price. Im sure we can look after you as a forum member ;-)

Vango sell a kit which includes the Kador Strip and Figure of 8 - you can get them for about £20 from the likes of Winfields - just make sure you order the right one as the Kador strip comes in a couple of sizes (in your case it sounds like you need the 6mm to 6mm - our Fiamma awning channel is only 4mm so we have the 4mm to 6mm).

We have the Kela III awning - so far we have only used it for one of our breaks, last October. Easy to put up and it worked very well - drive-aways very easy with the Kador strip and figure of 8. Our breaks since have been numerous but only for 2 or 3 nights at a time, as a consequence we have not been using (or needing). When we start longer breaks and/or sailing again in a couple of weeks we will start to use the awning again.

I have the Idris 2 which is the one below the Kella I think, paid just over £400. Only used it once and it was fine, if anything it's a bit big for me. Putting it up was ok, using one of the joining strips mentioned above. Struggled a bit getting it small enough to pack away in its bag but I'm sure it'll get easier with practice

You need a Kador strip and a set of figure of eight connectors. Fit the connectors onto the awnings and then slide the Kador strip between the rail on your van and the figure of eight
Thanks very much Colin, appreciated as a newbie to all this, can't wait to get the van out and on the road....

Vango sell a kit which includes the Kador Strip and Figure of 8 - you can get them for about £20 from the likes of Winfields - just make sure you order the right one as the Kador strip comes in a couple of sizes (in your case it sounds like you need the 6mm to 6mm - our Fiamma awning channel is only 4mm so we have the 4mm to 6mm).

We have the Kela III awning - so far we have only used it for one of our breaks, last October. Easy to put up and it worked very well - drive-aways very easy with the Kador strip and figure of 8. Our breaks since have been numerous but only for 2 or 3 nights at a time, as a consequence we have not been using (or needing). When we start longer breaks and/or sailing again in a couple of weeks we will start to use the awning again.
Cheers Davenjo

I've got the Vango Kela III 'low' and I have to say I the it's a brilliant bit of kit. We use it everytime we go away, even for a couple of nights because it's so quick to put up and take down. I did buy a second hand Kyham Motordome sleeper and whilst the quick pole system is easy to erect it then seems to take an age to 'peg out'. With the Kela you can get away with 8 pegs and 2 guideropes for a quick weekend away if it's nice weather.

Tip for taking it down, you can do the role poly as above or use the deflate on your pump and it will suck all the air out for easy packing away.

Tip for taking it down, you can do the role poly as above or use the deflate on your pump and it will suck all the air out for easy packing away.

Lol - I didn't realise the pump had a deflate setting - I probably ought to RTFM a bit more!! Might still use the roly poly method though as it helps to get the air trapped in the tent out as well as that in the poles.

@Keith1960 , another tip is to get the awning footprint - as well as protecting the base of the awning a bit it also helps with lining the awning up with the van - our first use was on sharp hard standing and even with the footprint, we ended up with a dimples all over the groundsheet.

As above, very simple to fit, and out up - The best on the market. We sell Vango if you want a price. Im sure we can look after you as a forum member ;-)
Hi, I have the Vango Kella 3 low and want to fit to a Thule Omnistor wind out awning is there a specific fixing kit and can you supply?

Phil

@Phil Harris all you need is a kador strip (length of strong fabric with beading down each side) and some plastic figure of 8. Vango do sell as a kit for about £20, e.g. Vango Driveaway Fixing Kit - 3m Fiamma/Omnistor | Leisure Outlet

The only thing I'm not 100% on is the size of the channel below the Omnistor - I think it is 4mm (same as the Fiamma channels) which would mean the kit above (with its 4mm to 6mm bead) would work. If you look at people selling this 4mm to 6mm kit they do sell as compatible with Fiamma and Omnistor. I would ring them first to double check before ordering though.

@Phil Harris all you need is a kador strip (length of strong fabric with beading down each side) and some plastic figure of 8. Vango do sell as a kit for about £20, e.g. Vango Driveaway Fixing Kit - 3m Fiamma/Omnistor | Leisure Outlet

The only thing I'm not 100% on is the size of the channel below the Omnistor - I think it is 4mm (same as the Fiamma channels) which would mean the kit above (with its 4mm to 6mm bead) would work. If you look at people selling this 4mm to 6mm kit they do sell as compatible with Fiamma and Omnistor. I would ring them first to double check before ordering though.
Great , thanks. Phil

Dunno if this info is any use to those of you struggling with putting awnings away, but here goes...

As a boy scout :D I was taught to lay the tent bag out and fold up the tent to the length of the bag, so you know it will fit.

Then pop the bag over the rolled up tent, rather than try to stuff the tent roll into the bag. The same might apply to some of your awnings. Tis much easier that way.
;)

Dunno if this info is any use to those of you struggling with putting awnings away, but here goes...

As a boy scout :D I was taught to lay the tent bag out and fold up the tent to the length of the bag, so you know it will fit.

Then pop the bag over the rolled up tent, rather than try to stuff the tent roll into the bag. The same might apply to some of your awnings. Tis much easier that way.
;)
That's what I do with my Karsten canvas tent - fold to width and then roll into bag.

Back