Vango Galli help...

Veema

Teaching Assistant
T6 Guru
So...I've now bought a galli as the kela is too small. I've also bought the footprint, so my question is, where, in relation to the van, do I put the footprint? Does it go right up against it (which I found it does with the kela)?

I was considering a Kela for next summer, just me and my daughter so thought it would be ok, I will have a look at the galli now, thanks.

I was considering a Kela for next summer, just me and my daughter so thought it would be ok, I will have a look at the galli now, thanks.

Suppose it depends on how much stuff you've got and the storage in the van. It wasn't really sitting out weather when we went so had table and chairs inside, with a small table with the kettle on etc and a couple of boxes of clothes...bit cramped.

I got a good deal on the galli on funky leisure.

Thanks @Veema I will take a look, again its when the weather is bad it gives you a bit more room than being sat in the van with steamy windows, I've got a vango tent that's great, but maybe to big now.

The vango footprint usually just fits under the groundsheet of the awning. I've just ordered the Galli this weekend so I don't know for sure but if it is the same size as the groundsgeet that's where it goes. The footprint it to primarily protect the groundsheet

We have plenty of room in the Kela - four chairs around a table no problem and have had 6 people seated in there when it's raining.

The vango footprint usually just fits under the groundsheet of the awning. I've just ordered the Galli this weekend so I don't know for sure but if it is the same size as the groundsgeet that's where it goes. The footprint it to primarily protect the groundsheet
The Kela footprint covers the tunnel area as well as the groundsheet - the Galli may be different though beacause of the shape - would make sense if it just covered the groundsheet.

We have plenty of room in the Kela - four chairs around a table no problem and have had 6 people seated in there when it's raining.

Yes...it does the tunnel...which I didn't realise, so had to start trying to pull it back under.

I have no idea how you get that many people in the Kela...tardis it is not! Do you have anything else in there?

I ordered mine last night...funky leisure...£669.

Yes...it does the tunnel...which I didn't realise, so had to start trying to pull it back under.

I have no idea how you get that many people in the Kela...tardis it is not! Do you have anything else in there?
Nope - just 3 of us and 2 dogs normally but had 3 guest over for tea and seated one night at Bala. If you open all of the window blinds it does feel a lot bigger.

Absolutely love our Galli, best move we've made with the van so far is to sell our Vango Attar to make way for it. No time at all to put it up (maybe 15 mins), plus pegging out.

The Galli footprint comes in three pieces: the main sheet (black), for under the tent, and two grey pieces, one for the front porch and one for the tunnel. Can't recommend the carpet enough btw, if you don't have it.

The piece in the tunnel seems very wide to me, much wider than it needs to be (could be doing it wrong!). We put it in after doing everything else, as it feels like otherwise it would need to be right under the wheels.

Latest method we tried this weekend was: place black groundsheet under tent, connect driveway kit, inflate Galli, peg out Galli and groundsheet. Took slightly longer than last wekend's "peg out tent, inflate, connect", but we ended up with a much less saggy tunnel (so to speak!)

[
Absolutely love our Galli, best move we've made with the van so far is to sell our Vango Attar to make way for it. No time at all to put it up (maybe 15 mins), plus pegging out.

The Galli footprint comes in three pieces: the main sheet (black), for under the tent, and two grey pieces, one for the front porch and one for the tunnel. Can't recommend the carpet enough btw, if you don't have it.

The piece in the tunnel seems very wide to me, much wider than it needs to be (could be doing it wrong!). We put it in after doing everything else, as it feels like otherwise it would need to be right under the wheels.

Latest method we tried this weekend was: place black groundsheet under tent, connect driveway kit, inflate Galli, peg out Galli and groundsheet. Took slightly longer than last wekend's "peg out tent, inflate, connect", but we ended up with a much less saggy tunnel (so to speak!)
The footprint sounds a bit of a faff - aside from protecting the SIG, one of the reasons I have always recommended people go for footprints with tents, and now awnings, is to help visualise the size and position of the tent/awnings - works really well with the Kela to line up with the van. Would it be worth taping the 3 pieces together? Alternatively, what we have done previously with an irregular shaped tent was purchased a cheap pond liner and cut our own footprint.

They have probably made the tunnel piece a bit wider to allow for an overlap under the main piece to hold it in position under the awning rather than having to peg where you walk, etc.??

As for attaching to the van first; I see that is the way Vango now show to do in their Airaway videos - I've not tried doing it this way yet but will give it a go next next time - thanks!

Last edited:
I've got the Idris 2 low and the only way I've found to get it right was to fix to van, inflate beams, peg out, in that order or you end up having to take the pegs out and move them once it gets its correct shape. Only used it twice and I find it really difficult to put up on my own, esp with a 3 yr old pestering every 2 seconds :rolleyes:

I agree it needs to be connected to the van first...I ended up repositioning the corner pegs too with the kela...but I couldn't get it nice and taught anyway, looked a bit of a pigs ear really.

I also have the pestering child.

I also have the pestering 3 year old! Luckily we can distract her temporarily by giving her a baby to prod.

The Galli feels a lot more like a tent that attaches to the van than our old one, which was very much reliant on the van to stand up. I actually find it easier to put it up without attaching it, and can do this by myself, while it took two of us using the attach first then inflate method. The latter is definitely better in terms of tautness. I did end up moving a few corner pegs etc afterwards, which helped.

When we first put it up we tried to manoeuvre the van into position rather than moving the already pegged out tent, which was a big error, and took ages.

@Davenjo I thought it would probably be so you could tuck it under the tent too, but there's a peg right in the way! And a cutout in the tunnel footprint for the peg. Not really sure what the answer is. Also, the main footprint is just a squarish sheet, much thinner than our Attar one. Buying a generic groundsheet would probably be just as good, and cutting a section for the tunnel. It's really handy having a sheet in the porch, but could do the same for that one.

Back