VanFurniture Kombi pod

The issue with most bed units designed to be used in conjunction with folded Kombi seats is that they are simply too high to allow most to sit upright without a poptop. This was the case for me and I'm a shortarse.
I have LWB and lower units as a 180cm bed can fit behind. I use the back seats all the time to change and exist in the van.

New to the forum here but looking for solutions to the SWB kombi bed and was looking at the ply guys kit too. Also looking at the Van furniture option. Looks in principle a good idea but need to think about this head height thing. Time to go sit on the folded flat rear seats and test the height I think.

I’ve just picked one up as a short term solution. I’m 6ft 1 and can sit on the top without hitting my head - no cushions. But works for what I need for now.

All I’d say is, it’s VERY basic. I wasn’t expecting a great deal, but it’s roughly cut, unfinished and un sanded so will need a fair bit of prep and tidying up to get a decent finish.

Measured up last night and tried sitting on the rear seats. My head touches but I am 6
2 but the combipod on the diagrams is 515 high compared to the seats that look to be closer to 530. I am guessing they allow for a mattress. Still weighing up the ply guys option but it's a lot more and its 540 high. Some more thinking needed on this topic. Thanks for all the previous posts. Very useful.

I’ve just picked one up as a short term solution. I’m 6ft 1 and can sit on the top without hitting my head - no cushions. But works for what I need for now.

All I’d say is, it’s VERY basic. I wasn’t expecting a great deal, but it’s roughly cut, unfinished and un sanded so will need a fair bit of prep and tidying up to get a decent finish.
I had the same thoughts about mine from Infinity Customs. Doesn't take much to give something a quick sand down before shipping.

Yeah everything should be sanded as a minimum, also depends on the CNC cutters used, quality, type, age as these will affect the finish cut. Finishing is another matter as this is very time consuming. We always sand and oil at least 2 coats to our birch furniture. Larger items would need spraying to achieve best results.

Last edited:
Hi @pdnadders ,

You can see pics here in my for sale thread from last year Sold - Ply Guys Assynt unit

As soon as they announced a Kombi version of the Assynt I got my order in as I loved the look of it. The black finish to the units was lovely and honestly the units were absolutely solid.

The units have to be high enough to be level with the folded Kombi second row seats, so they're pretty high. I'm a short arse so I had a little clearance between the roof and my head, but anyone taller definitely needs a pop top.

Hope this information is helpful.
@JiMsHaDY69 I am looking at the Ply Guys Torridon setup for our SWB T6 Kombi. I cannot see anywhere how the units are secured in place. Looking at your pictures you appear to have the standard Kombi floor. Could you tell me how they are secured, please? Thanks

@JiMsHaDY69 I am looking at the Ply Guys Torridon setup for our SWB T6 Kombi. I cannot see anywhere how the units are secured in place. Looking at your pictures you appear to have the standard Kombi floor. Could you tell me how they are secured, please? Thanks
@davecdjt there were cut outs that sat above the lashing points in the rear and middle of the van. I used ratchet straps to hold them in place due to not having a ply floor to fix the benches to. Some images below (was using tie down straps at first) , not the best, but should give you an idea of how it worked. There was a cut out in the centre divider that allowed the strap to pass from one side to the other.

PXL_20210823_170123168.jpg
PXL_20210823_170111685.jpg

PXL_20210823_170056497.jpg

@davecdjt there were cut outs that sat above the lashing points in the rear and middle of the van. I used ratchet straps to hold them in place due to not having a ply floor to fix the benches to. Some images below (was using tie down straps at first) , not the best, but should give you an idea of how it worked. There was a cut out in the centre divider that allowed the strap to pass from one side to the other.

View attachment 165810
View attachment 165811

View attachment 165813

Thank you, that’s really helpful. I’ve been in contact with Craig at The Ply Guys, he’s been really helpful. We’re going to be at the T6F summer camp
this weekend so we’ll have a look at what others have. I’d love to see the Ply Guys stuff installed. We’re wondering whether we could sleep on the short Torridon unit at 1400 long and 1500 wide without the Kombi seats fitted.

Unfortunately, we were not able to see any of The Ply Guys stuff in real life at the T6F Summer event but from what we did see, and the conversations we had, we became convinced that The Ply Guys had the solution for our needs. We've had a beneficial conversation with Craig and discussed the build we're looking for and the bespoke piece we wanted to extend the Torridon to a full-length (1800mm) bed. They've come up with a design we like so we'll be ordering a 1400mm Torridon, 1200mm Clachan, a 400mm Torridon extension piece, a Bruich Beag kitchen unit, and the Urlar floor, and some bits. Waiting for the invoice to pay the deposit and agree on a date for fitting/collection - it'll be sometime in September. We may have it ready for the Autumn gathering.

I built these for the rear of my last Kombi - the one on the right was about 8cm lower than the height of the Kombi bench folded flat because otherwise you would have to sit with your neck crooked and your ear on your shoulder.

We didn’t use it as a bed but those pods in the original post look far too high to sit on

43921CA0-16BA-4918-9099-3E38323BC5B0.jpeg

The Torridon and Clachan units will be 406mm + 75mm cushions each. We have a pop top that will allow us the height we need when we're parked up. I think the height of the unit will be ok for relaxing in without feeling cramped. The windows all around our van will also help relieve the sense of being squashed into a small space. They're far lower than any of the Kombi seat/bed conversions like the Forty Winks which we'd considered. The aisle down the middle with a table will allow us to eat and play games, use tech, etc comfortably whilst also being able to move around the van when the roof is up (we chose the bi-fold bed option with our Aurora pop top to maximise the standing space inside the van).

The Torridon and Clachan units will be 406mm + 75mm cushions each. We have a pop top that will allow us the height we need when we're parked up. I think the height of the unit will be ok for relaxing in without feeling cramped. The windows all around our van will also help relieve the sense of being squashed into a small space. They're far lower than any of the Kombi seat/bed conversions like the Forty Winks which we'd considered. The aisle down the middle with a table will allow us to eat and play games, use tech, etc comfortably whilst also being able to move around the van when the roof is up (we chose the bi-fold bed option with our Aurora pop top to maximise the standing space inside the van).
I've been looking at this set up for my van...kit looks great. I'm just in the process of planning it all. have you gone for it? do you still have the rear seats in? How's it working out for you? TIA

I've been looking at this set up for my van...kit looks great. I'm just in the process of planning it all. have you gone for it? do you still have the rear seats in? How's it working out for you? TIA
Hi @Wiggers13 we have gone for the Ply Guys fit in our Kombi. It’s great. We went for the lower height Torridon and Clachan units with three custom made 400mm extension to allow a full length 1800 bed size. We also have the Bruich Beag kitchen unit.
We haven’t put the Kombi seats back in since having it fitted out.
There was a problem with the set of cushions that were delivered for my van so I’m still using three temporary set they have me whilst they worked out what went wrong with the order and get a full new set sent out.
The whole set up cost just 40% of the standard rock and roll style with side kitchen layout we were looking at. We find it much better suited to our use case and are really pleased with the whole set up. It’s much more flexible and it’s entirely removable so that in a very short time there van could be restored to its previous Kombi state with no holes or signs of the fit.
I’ll add some pictures of the ban but not that these are not the correct cushions.

1A6224FB-C895-4CA8-BC83-7DDDE97BBBBD.jpeg

C1E48327-0A4B-4E1E-9FE4-C458D6F12859.jpeg

F00BBBC8-24FB-4578-8548-3E564A30E47A.jpeg

BBC0D513-2799-4A9D-B53D-9E1C069C8ACC.jpeg

EFBE3381-F7E5-4A40-9D9D-C0A74CBC8D29.jpeg

590932A0-6F2D-4C01-BBB0-446E5C9E7ADD.jpeg

5D0148A6-5959-4E15-BB52-12D154047830.jpeg

767A87DE-702A-41EC-89C3-241C224A7D25.jpeg

21188BBB-7FC2-4C70-9BF4-BB6329E0B573.jpeg

103BD2E4-344C-44E6-AB70-4027726124D3.jpeg

06CFDECC-689C-44B3-8B8C-20A1E8BC99A5.jpeg

it looks great...I love it. I really didn't want furniture, I'll be keeping at least 2 of my rear seats in, I use it as my everyday vehicle.....but I love that bed/table/storage set up. Thanks for the reply...it really is lovely.
Trace

Back