Vanfurniture.co.uk U-Shaped Bed System

So put my Van Furniture Kombi bed together today - instructions are easy to follow but you do need some basic diy skills and tools.

Not sure i'm totally sold on my plan to use the VF bed/bench and the two Kombi seats as my bed as I wanted to be able to sit on the bed when in bench mode but its too high - some fettling needed I think

View attachment 82145View attachment 82146View attachment 82147
looks like you are using with original rubber floor.....how here you fixing these to the floor and have you found that there is any flexing in use? Many thanks

looks like you are using with original rubber floor.....how here you fixing these to the floor and have you found that there is any flexing in use? Many thanks
At the moment I haven’t fixed the two units to the van permanently, just fixed them together. I’m in the process of repainting them as I didn’t like the blue I had used. They seem ok on the rubber floor, not too much flex but they we get a proper test when we go camping later this month. I think I will just use the two tie down point to hold them in place, they are quite tight to the kombi seats so I don’t think they would move much but it’s in a crash I wouldn’t want them flying about.

At the moment I haven’t fixed the two units to the van permanently, just fixed them together. I’m in the process of repainting them as I didn’t like the blue I had used. They seem ok on the rubber floor, not too much flex but they we get a proper test when we go camping later this month. I think I will just use the two tie down point to hold them in place, they are quite tight to the kombi seats so I don’t think they would move much but it’s in a crash I wouldn’t want them flying about.
Thanks....will be interested to hear how you get on.

Repainted the units, all blue made them look too IKEA. Added some dark grey T-trim, ordered some foam seating to cover the kombi seats, just waiting on covers for the foam.

IMG-8489.JPG

IMG-8488.JPG

IMG-8483.JPG

IMG-8487.JPG

Reactions: CAB
It's always tricky getting colour combinations right.....what sort of paint are using and how are you applying it?
So originally I used osmo wood wax finish in blue but it was too bright so I rubbed it down and used some steel grey satinwood oil based paint I had in the garage- I think it looks ok. I used a gloss roller. I’ve left the doors blue for now. My plan is to use the van as a van so the units are going get bashed anyway. The foam is going to be covered in a dark blue material at which point I’ll paint the doors to match.
FDECA053-DA1F-462F-9518-8A4FA6609BC0.png

Overall I’m quite impressed with the van furniture units for the money. I took the sharp edges off with a router and routered in a grove for the t trim which gives it a slightly more professional finish, might do the same around the doors. My only disappointment is everything is a bit high to sit on now I have the foam cushions but a quick try as a bed, it’s very comfortable

Mine is a weekender Panel van build sound proofed and heavily insulated and carpeted purchased all my furniture from V F their units are sold as universal and are not just for V W's you need to modify to suit your positions. i brought the 1400mm side cabinet and the 3 section pull out bed ( that came with arch cut outs already ) but the perfect position i wanted for me and just assembling the 600mm cabinet now .

Been left waiting for a hinge table and have found issues with the 600 mm cab wood finish also its missing 2 door stops but will take it up with V F and will keep you updated

absolutely delighted with the bed and large cabinet plus i paid for ready assembled. so im not missing bits. and found out yesterday the porta - poti fits nicely into 1 bed section what a bonus. all very nicely made and super strong

i had the mattress built by David Powell Upholstery ( a lovely guy ) his workshop is next door to Combe Valley Campers. they recommended him. he did a super job. i supplied the water proof Blue combat material that i wanted and went for 5 inch firm foam so now we sit a bit close to the ceiling 4 inch would of done but its so comfortable. very happy and David even threw in a couple of cushions he made with the off cuts.

i fixed the bed and cabinets down with 2 1/2 x 2 1/ 2 inch brackets into the 12mm floor

colour i gave the van a Blue theme ( Team Acapulco ) getting the colour right has been / proved a slight problem was going to stain the wood work but having a struggle to find the right colour have tried a few now so put on hold for winter .. we are using and really enjoying the van for now . will finish all the other jobs jobs after summer the list is massive lol

regards Nick

Last edited:
Mine is a weekender Panel van build sound proofed and heavily insulated and carpeted purchased all my furniture from V F their units are sold as universal and are not just for V W's you need to modify to suit your positions. i brought the 1400mm side cabinet and the 3 section pull out bed ( that came with arch cut outs already ) but the perfect position i wanted for me and just assembling the 600mm cabinet now .

Been left waiting for a hinge table and have found issues with the 600 mm cab wood finish also its missing 2 door stops but will take it up with V F and will keep you updated

absolutely delighted with the bed and large cabinet plus i paid for ready assembled. so im not missing bits. and found out yesterday the porta - poti fits nicely into 1 bed section what a bonus. all very nicely made and super strong

i had the mattress built by David Powell Upholstery ( a lovely guy ) his workshop is next door to Combe Valley Campers. they recommended him. he did a super job. i supplied the water proof Blue combat material that i wanted and went for 5 inch firm foam so now we sit a bit close to the ceiling 4 inch would of done but its so comfortable. very happy and David even threw in a couple of cushions he made with the off cuts.

i fixed the bed and cabinets down with 2 1/2 x 2 1/ 2 inch brackets into the 12mm floor

colour i gave the van a Blue theme ( Team Acapulco ) getting the colour right has been / proved a slight problem was going to stain the wood work but having a struggle to find the right colour have tried a few now so put on hold for winter .. we are using and really enjoying the van for now . will finish all the other jobs jobs after summer the list is massive lol

regards Nick
Any chance of some photos? That would be good

Overall I’m quite impressed with the van furniture units for the money. I took the sharp edges off with a router and routered in a grove for the t trim which gives it a slightly more professional finish, might do the same around the doors. My only disappointment is everything is a bit high to sit on now I have the foam cushions but a quick try as a bed, it’s very comfortable
We had to compromise a bit with cushion thickness and seating height on our home built units, so usually pop a self-inflating sleep mat under the seat cushions for extra night comfort. If too high in the daytime seating mode is rather awkward and uncomfortable.

how comfy did the bed turn out to be and what depth cushions did you go for? Just looking to source my cushions for the l-shape bed by VF Thanks

how comfy did the bed turn out to be and what depth cushions did you go for? Just looking to source my cushions for the l-shape bed by VF Thanks
I bought 3 inch luxury firm sofa foam had found it very comfortable- no need for a topper

@SF_52EVO This is where you need to think how you will use your van to the set up you get i needed long storage for my hobbies fishing rods metal detectors but even a wind breaker all takes up long lengths so had to go with a side bed
you also need to carefully think out your electrics too to your needs .

So put my Van Furniture Kombi bed together today - instructions are easy to follow but you do need some basic diy skills and tools.

Not sure i'm totally sold on my plan to use the VF bed/bench and the two Kombi seats as my bed as I wanted to be able to sit on the bed when in bench mode but its too high - some fettling needed I think

View attachment 82145View attachment 82146View attachment 82147
this looks great - i have a swb and want to retain the double seat as well. is the unit 1500x415mm? thanks

i ll show you mine if you did't see it in another post i have a LWB and the 3 section bench / bed and did this

was a bonus it fitted perfect and loo roll storage around it. But i did a minor trim on the front edge for me lol i went with 5 inch foam so nearly touching the ceiling 3 or 4 inch would of been enough but i wanted extra depth then i fitted this cabinet behind drivers seat very pleased with My Vanfurniture .co

loo1.jpg

loo2.jpg

loo4.jpg

loo5.jpg

Last edited:
Back