Van WiFi and Apple mini Homepod connection

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Has anyone setup an Apple mini Homepod on their van wifi, (mifi) network?
I've tried to get my homepod setup on a TP-Link M7350 4G LTE portable - but it's refusing to connect.

No . . . (not Apple anyway)

but I've got a Google Home Mini Running.

that works fine on the vans wifi.

1620764468100.png

I use a TPLink Mifi unit, but there are other units out there that will do the job. All down to preference, I suppose.

I've now learned that the TP-Link MiFi unit has poor security, and therefore the Apple HomePod refuses to connect to it.
So, it now makes up a stereo pair in my kitchen and sounds amazing.

I have now spent two working days in the van running of a MiFi modem on video calls all day - works a treat and have booked one Friday in 4 working closer to the hills!
Meaning I can do more of this on a Friday night;
IMG_4849.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
Can now confirm it is very good
watched the Euro semi on the I-pad without any issues, looking forward to Sunday night now 350 miles away from home in the van!

Maybe I’m missing something, what’s the benefit of WiFi in a van if it’s connecting with mobile data anyway?

Maybe I’m missing something, what’s the benefit of WiFi in a van if it’s connecting with mobile data anyway?
Having an antenna mounted on the roof may be the difference between weak/no signal and a fast internet connection.
Apparently 5G/4G/3G all work best with a “direct line of sight” (nothing in the way) to get the best connection (less packet loss).

You can have multiple devices running on a MiFi unit. Tethering only supports one device. Creating a similar setup to your home WiFi.

@hatjoepeg I was looking at something very similar to this. Did you install it yourself? How difficult was it to install?
I had someone do it for me as I bottled it at the last minute! The aerial is mounted on the rear of the pop top and the cables run on the outside of the pop top canvas through the roof of the van and then to the router which is mounted in our tambour cupboard beside the bed near the rear doors. @DXX it really improves the signal and as @OllieGBR says, more than one device can run off it. The unit came with a pay monthly card but the
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M3VJ2B2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
sim from amazon lasts 24 months for a one off fee.
It could have been a diy fit so long as you are happy fishing cables (in my instance in an already converted van)

Back