VanShades side & tailgate Window Pods

katmav1

Thought I would share some info on my Kombi install as when I purchased my window pods there was little info I could find about them, and I wasn't sure they would be worth the cost.

When I first unpacked the pods and held them up to the window I almost sent them back, they are made from two pieces of formed ABS stuck together and come with an additional flimsy ABS surround which you then stick on the front after carpeting. None of the curves and profiles looked very well aligned and they felt cheap. The string parts of the blinds looked to be installed wonky.

I decided to fully carpet them as I have standard kombi windows that don't have a dark tint so you would see the pods from the outside. I really wouldn't advise doing this as the big radii on the product and complex shape make it a nightmare! You can have them carpeted at an extra cost per pod, but this is just covering the front faces not the entire pod, and I don't know how well they would be done.

So..on to the issues:

1. The tailgate pod leaks light around the blind and down both sides of the pod. The sliding door pod leaks light around the handle (this I knew about) and the bottom corner.
2. Both side window pods are tight against the shoulder of the kombi seats, this makes it very difficult to get hold of and pull the seat belts around. Additionally they restrict the seat belt swivel from being able to swivel.
3. The handle on the sliding door blind rubs down the rear quarter body panel if you open your door with the blind down. Bit of a fundamental issue as its marked my paintwork, and makes getting out in the night a pain. Van shades have since added this to their FAQ page since speaking to them.
5. The blind doesn't sit straight in one of my side pods so the handles on the blind don't align properly in the cuts intended for them on the front surround.
4. And finally if you have a rear wiper motor, you have to cut a section out of the rear pod to make it clear the screen wash feed pipe.

Apparently they are bringing version 2 designs out at the end of the year...
I was offered no solutions to my issues listed above, but have managed to fix the sliding door light leak myself with a large strip of foam which I carpeted and stuck to the back of the pod.

20190330_155800.jpg

20190422_073007.jpg

20190422_072957.jpg

20190522_165124.jpg

20190522_165151.jpg

20190402_124603.jpg

20190522_165256.jpg

20190419_155613.jpg

20190403_120756.jpg

20190605_185934.jpg

tailgate.PNG

This is very very good to know. Thank you for your feedback.

We were looking at Vanshades but his emails didn't instill me with much confidence so I contacted Swell Shades instead and the guy there has been much happier to answer any questions. I am hoping that his frames and blinds are better quality (we haven't ordered them yet). Swellshades also have the option of flyscreen blinds which is what we have gone for.

Think I will go email him now and ask about Kombi issues as that is what we have.

Thanks again for this.

This is very very good to know. Thank you for your feedback.

We were looking at Vanshades but his emails didn't instill me with much confidence so I contacted Swell Shades instead and the guy there has been much happier to answer any questions. I am hoping that his frames and blinds are better quality (we haven't ordered them yet). Swellshades also have the option of flyscreen blinds which is what we have gone for.

Think I will go email him now and ask about Kombi issues as that is what we have.

Thanks again for this.

No problem, I actually fitted them a few months ago and have given van shades the same feedback.

If you have passengers who use the rear kombi seats a lot I wouldn't recommend them. Kids would really struggle.

By the way the images of the side pods are before fitting the front surrounds. The surrounds are just glued on after carpeting and are pretty flimsy even after carpeting.

Hi, We have used them and had similar issues. I wasn’t too happy about the finish and the amount of window that was blocked out. The plastic was also not manufactured adequately so was delaminating, the companies response was not that good so we have found another solution.

Hi, We have used them and had similar issues. I wasn’t too happy about the finish and the amount of window that was blocked out. The plastic was also not manufactured adequately so was delaminating, the companies response was not that good so we have found another solution.
Care to share that please, as Im thinking about blinds/curtains at them moment. Thanks

The honeycomb blinds themselves seem very good, they are blackout, insulating and robust, just the pod surrounds let them down.

I used swell shades, the guy who owns it couldn’t be more helpful, great quality and so easy to fit

Good to know. I emailed him and got a reply and he has gotten rid of all of my doubts. The pictures of his work show excellent quality.
Cannot wait to get them ordered and get our conversion done.

What type of blinds did you get?? We are looking at the fire retardant ones with the flyscreens built in.
:)

I’ve got a full set of Vanshades fitted to mine. A splash guard with 1 1/2 blinds, tail & N/S. All self lined and fitted without any issues. Pete & Jack were very helpful with a few queries I had.
Note: I was unsure what to cover the windows with and it took over a year to decide. I chose Vanshades due to reading up, chatting to forum members experiences and looking @ their vans. Finally visiting Pete @ Vanshades. I’m very happy with my final installation.

What bugs me with social media is that positive experiences are rarely logged and highlighted. Maybe a few lines at best.
When it comes to a poor experience then there’s an almighty shit storm logged....

Fact: you do a million good things in a day and mess up once and that’s you f*cked!

Fact: you do a million good things in a day and mess up once and that’s you f*cked!

Trust me, I know all about that.
:(

But moving swiftly on... in my experience, the vanshades guy was very "not bothered" and uninterested when he replied to my email which made me decide to look elsewhere.

The Swellshades guy has put up with me emailing him to ask questions and double-check things with politeness and a happy-to-help kind of response.

If it had been the other way around then I would be saying that Vanshades is awesome but it's just based on a person's experience.

Another fact: Opinions are like bumholes. Everybody's got one.
;)

Mmmmm.... it’s unfortunate forums have these threads.... Time to leave and return to the real world....

This is what I did to sort the sliding door light leak. As its foam it doesn't affect the door handle operation.

slide 1.PNG

slide 2.PNG

Just to say, had mine fitted by Slidepods, and am very happy with them. Do not have the rear door blind as, in my opinion, the opening is too small, and have therefore retained the curtains.

Just to say, had mine fitted by Slidepods, and am very happy with them. Do not have the rear door blind as, in my opinion, the opening is too small, and have therefore retained the curtains.

Hi Vinci, is yours a kombi (kombi rear seats) or a full camper? Have you got any pics around the sliding door handle? Maybe they have been improved...

Funny I was modifying my rear pod at the weekend. Made a surround to hide the blind and stop the light leak.

rear pod 1.PNGrear pod 2.PNG

I actually like the reduced window size but I can see why you wouldn't.

I haven’t seen the shades fitted to side windows but I have seen one on a tailgate. I did provide privacy but as for blocking light it was hopeless, hard to see how fitting a flat shade to a curved window was ever a consideration.

D62EBAC0-AF8F-4E13-8FE6-390C03018E39.jpeg 219DC306-F3F3-4299-80CE-42720C909374.jpeg 9D62EBAC0-AF8F-4E13-8FE6-390C03018E39.jpeg 14C4E2C1-6F5D-4492-8618-BB4F11815BC1.jpeg 14C4E2C1-6F5D-4492-8618-BB4F11815BC1.jpeg
Hi Vinci, is yours a kombi (kombi rear seats) or a full camper? Have you got any pics around the sliding door handle? Maybe they have been improved...

Funny I was modifying my rear pod at the weekend. Made a surround to hide the blind and stop the light leak.

I actually like the reduced window size but I can see why you wouldn't.
It’s a panel van converted to a mobile office/day van with Caravelle seats, table, plus additional tables, inverter, heater etc.
I’ve attached pics, but will take and post a pic tomorrow of the sliding door.

This is the first we know of this

Back