Van in need of mods - Essex

Jonesy68

What do I need to buy next...
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi guys, first of all thanks for all the info on the forum, it's really helped me choice what I wanted to buy for our needs.
So I'm in the process of buying a 6.1 Caravelle and will need to have some mods once it's finally here. But I just can't find any firms in Essex that deal with VW Transporters primarily like there are around the country. I will be looking to have the glass in the doors replaced with the pop windows and really like the ones from Camper Glass, some nice new 20" wheels and some front styling and de-chroming. Then possibly some electrics.
Can anyone recommend a company in the Essex area, I'm down near Southend.

Thanks again and look forward to being more involved once the van gets here...

Hi and congrats on your van. The general consensus I’ve read on here is not to limit yourself to your area when looking to get work like that done.

Personally, I’d do the wheels last as your van will look so different when you have the windows in and that may influence your choices.

Cheers JOG, Yes I was looking to do the wheels last anyway. Still not quiet made my mind up. I don't mind traveling a bit, just gets more difficult when I have to leave it with them then get home and back again to collect. Just really surprised there doesn't seem to be anyone in Essex

Have you tried Visiontech Automotive in Colchester?

No I haven't come across them before. That's not too far. Cheers Bav

Reactions: Bav
As @Bav says, VTA will do whatever you want. For styling, Travelin-Lite Transporters will supply if you’re happy to DIY / pay a garage to fit.
I used Two A’s Coachworks in Wakering for painting some bits - they’re cheap and cheerful.
Oh and welcome to the forum!

Cheers mate, can't wait to get it delivered and start cracking on.

I bet.

Click on the Essex tag at the top of the page and you’ll see recommendations for other places.
But as you have found out, there aren’t that many over this side of the world

they’re cheap and cheerful.
@Jonesy68 - that's something VTA aren't: cheap! And they are usually booked-up 6+ months in advance (for full camper conversions, at least). Still, would you really want anybody working on your van that are so unpopular that they can fit you in the next day? :oops:

Hi guys, first of all thanks for all the info on the forum, it's really helped me choice what I wanted to buy for our needs.
So I'm in the process of buying a 6.1 Caravelle and will need to have some mods once it's finally here. But I just can't find any firms in Essex that deal with VW Transporters primarily like there are around the country. I will be looking to have the glass in the doors replaced with the pop windows and really like the ones from Camper Glass, some nice new 20" wheels and some front styling and de-chroming. Then possibly some electrics.
Can anyone recommend a company in the Essex area, I'm down near Southend.

Thanks again and look forward to being more involved once the van gets here...
Chris at Chelmer Valley Campers in Chelmsford is very good. I would recommend.

I am near Southend too.

VW Mad does windows, suspension, wheels etc as well as servicing and things like timing belt etc

I’ve used them and plan to again if I decide I can’t be bothered to fit my coilovers.

Cheers @t6blo I went to see him yesterday actually. Seems a really nice bloke. Going to get a quote together for me.

Chris at Chelmer Valley Campers in Chelmsford is very good. I would recommend.
I'm just coming to the end of a build on a VW shuttle. I will add photos soon. All the work had been carried out by Chris at Chelmer Valley Campers who has been excellent really straight forward to deal with, he's independent so is able to give you a lot of sound advice.

I'm just coming to the end of a build on a VW shuttle. I will add photos soon. All the work had been carried out by Chris at Chelmer Valley Campers who has been excellent really straight forward to deal with, he's independent so is able to give you a lot of sound advice.
Did you get your van finished by Chelmer Valley Campers?

I did get it finished and a year on everything is still spot on. I have just had a solar panel fitted by Chris and as he did it just as I asked.

5CF4DDEB-E359-4A3A-9A8F-CDDFDB5AB413.png

3E854923-BE96-452D-84C9-A22D99A8BF66.png

1128155D-5289-438C-BE52-E215831228D5.png

E7B4590F-0ED6-4864-95B4-0A8A90A7BA6A.png

447867C6-D88B-4721-8A8E-6ECDB115D23F.png

14F344D1-CE1F-420A-8018-599882FBFA6B.png

58C08706-FBF2-43DD-ACE0-15A3D12D938A.png

B11CEA58-3CDD-4DCD-9CCC-F9EDD659439E.png

6FB93EEA-34A1-4731-9AB3-854A3D96E990.png

Back