Van Hit In Car Park Tonight :-(

I think it is summed up precisely above ^^^. A great deal of society has gone to the dogs, they don’t give a to55. Look at someone in the street and they want to try and fight you. Was in Aldi car park yesterday when I was waiting for a car to leave a space, before I was able to drive in to it some ar53 came barrelling the wrong way down the line and flew in to it, then just glared at me. I think the wife summed it up beautifully, and these are very strong words for her “the Christmas karma will get that arsehole and he’ll get his”. I was like “woah, who are you and what have you done with my wife?”
But really, there just seems to be so many miserable complete wank3r5 around now.
I saw something similar as some guy nipped in front of a woman waiting to park. As I passed I heard her say "I hope he gets diarrhoea in his car". I thought that would be good karma.

Cctv is no good as per usual, makes you wonder why these places even bother fitting it in the first place :-(

Is public CCTV ever any good? How often do we see grainy footage that looks like it was taken in the 90's on the news, which is ironic when you think of how good even a cheap CCTV or Dashcam that we buy as the public can be.
Gutted this didn't bare fruit mate, but didn't hold out much hope this route anyway.

Last edited:
As @Sabre says, generally it’s part of their insurance requirements, doesn’t matter how rubbish it is. And even if it did capture anything, unfortunately the Police forces are so badly funded, they don’t have the resources to do anything with it.

We ll i have opted for the compound and live with it approach, looks a lot better with the transferred paint removed and the dent is very minor. I'm tempted to try one of those glue on tab puller things to see if i can get any of the dent out. I don't want to risk taking a hit on the insurance premium.

For a hundred or so notes it would be worth getting it to a professional dent remover, with the best will in the world you could actually make it worse, and a dent remover is unlikely going to cost what your excess/ increase in premium on insurance is likely to amount to.

True but I have so many other things I need the money for before doing the dent. I think I will have to leave it for now and look at it later on in the new year.

For a hundred or so notes it would be worth getting it to a professional dent remover, with the best will in the world you could actually make it worse, and a dent remover is unlikely going to cost what your excess/ increase in premium on insurance is likely to amount to.

I've had two prangs the last two months, first one I was eyeing up a lady as I was reversing and hit a wooden post !! second swung my passenger door open onto the telegraph pole outside my house. I left a note on my own windscreen and paid up. I used a guy I've used before for dent removal and he only charges £50 so it may be cheaper than you think.
On the subject of cctv, they can get clear pictures of the surface of the moon, or send an umanned drone from the uk across the world to take down a single man, but the quality of the images you get at some of your local stores are a waste of time.

Happened to me the day after I bought my Alfa Romeo GTV, parked up next to the shopping trolley store in the Car park thinking one side the car is safe. Sat there eating my pasta and this old geezer in his beat up Fiesta parks next to me, as he does I feel the car rock. Gets out to see a long streak down my drivers door.
The cheeky f£¥cker denies everything, looking at his car every corner of his was a different bloody colour.
He starts to walk off like nothing has happened, ran after him and told him he either comes back or I will call the police as he V is leaving the scene of an accident.

Then his wife starts giving me grief.

Called the police, they spoke with him on the phone and he confessed, tw@t.

I do feel your pain and anger @jimmyjames, it’s totally out of order.

There's a guy called Pete C who runs the Cortina City Youtube channel who showed dashcam footage of some old guy in an "SUV" clonk into his immaculately restored Mk3 Cortina while him and his mate were sitting eating their lunch in it. Said driver calmly parks in front of them and wanders off to do his shopping, having not even noticed he'd done it. When confronted he gestures at the Cortina and says "It's only an old car anyway, what does it matter...?" :mad:

My late father had a supermarket car park incident which was dealt with by his insurers - shortly after this he stopped driving and surrendered his licence. He was in his 80s and my sisters and I were glad he made the decision himself. We all stepped in to do the things he would use his car for - appointments, shopping etc.

Its a difficult topic to tackle with elderly drivers and one we’ll all face at some point! Other than medical conditions, there doesn’t seem to much to take away a driving licence unless something untoward happens.

Ian

As above, my van was hit in a car park tonight while the kids were swimming. So far I have left a message with the police, contacted the leisure centre requesting cctv, anything else I should be doing. The damage is fairly minor but it is dented both sides of the drivers side rear quarter but it’s not the point, I hate these dishonest drivers and I’m after justice if nothing else! Absolutely fuming!!!
Its classed as a 'Fail to Stop Road Traffic Collision' and so should be reported to Police. There should be a Collision report taken by the Police and an officer assigned to investigate. In reality, you have started the investigation for them. They may have ANPR assets nearby which may confirm any suspect vehicles, if identified. Also, the police may be able to link any other reports in the area etc....

It’s these things that are a nightmare.....when they reverse park in a bay and squeeze the trolley next to your pride and joy to unload...simple solution park nose in so easier to load :)

3C1F9DA9-B9CC-41E9-8D21-3AC9779E7C71.jpeg

My late father had a supermarket car park incident which was dealt with by his insurers - shortly after this he stopped driving and surrendered his licence. He was in his 80s and my sisters and I were glad he made the decision himself. We all stepped in to do the things he would use his car for - appointments, shopping etc.

Its a difficult topic to tackle with elderly drivers and one we’ll all face at some point! Other than medical conditions, there doesn’t seem to much to take away a driving licence unless something untoward happens.

Ian
I'm an optician and I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to report someone (and not always old people!) who either cannot see well enough to drive even when wearing glasses, or blatantly refuse to wear glasses for driving. Some of these people are shockingly below legal standard (if you've been for an eye test before, think not beng able to make out the big single letter at the top!) and yet refuse to give up their "right" to keep on driving.
All we can do is strongly advise the person not to drive and to notify DVLA, we are not permitted to report them...

I was contacted last year by the police to obtain full records of an old lady we had told not to drive, who went on to mount the pavement and kill someone. She had her licence taken off her and that was it...

Parked the Tepee on an end bay, right up to the kerb as you do to give max clearance should anyone park next to me.
Came back to a bright red horizontal dent on the rear quarter, obviously someone had parked alongside then backed out with lock on.
That cost me five hundred & fifty quid I didnt really have to spare having earned zip this year.

Parked my car at the NEC very early attending a show. Nothing near it. When I returned late after the show there was nothing parked near it. Note on the windscreen saying that my car had rolled back and had caused extensive damage to another car. No damage to my car, no debris on the floor and my car was still in the bay. The contact number was a dry cleaners which was closed on that Sunday evening. When I got home I spoke to my local traffic police who checked my car and confirmed that there was no damage. Phoned the dry cleaners the next day and told them that I had involved the police. Interestingly they said that they would not pursue the matter. Not sure if it was a scam (probably was) or somebody else had damaged their parked car.

Back