Review: Van Doc Ltd / Vandoc Conversions Ltd

You have to credit @HiLo Roofs they always seem to respond/react when needed

I found Jay from extreme vans in our club camping area on Saturday with another member, he was having some issues with overly tight struts on the roof making it hard to pull down in hot weather and he came straight up and sorted it out
He was wearing a Hilo T shirt so think he was flying the flag for them at CJ but had a chat with him while he was having a sneaky beer and seemed like a decent chap and again kudos to HiLo for getting it sorted :thumbsup:

Jay was very helpful when I had my roof fitted any question I had was met with a quick response through emails. As I was walking round CJ he spotted me in the crowd and came straight over to talk to me. I mentioned the roof was hard to pull down and he had no problem coming up to club camping and sorting it out. He's a great bloke and I would definitely deal with him again.

Got my van going in imminently. Got me worried after reading this!

Don't worry, just take note of the points and knowledge,use it wisely and discuss any concerns or requests before and after.
Make sure you are clear on your points, tasks and understanding of the task ahead.

Knowledge is power! When you know what is right or wrong you can control it.. without knowing you can not intervein(sp).

Just don't want it to bloody squeek. Yours silent now? What was the issue and remedy?

Mate, Dean is sound as a pound. He’s genuine enough.
Like Fish said, make sure you discuss what you want and what you don’t want first.

Mention the forum and engage him in a laugh about how you had read both good and bad reviews and I’m sure they’ll take that on board when they come to fit and quality-check your roof :whistle:

As said, Dean is a nice bloke.
However, check EVERYTHING very thoroughly. Don’t be afraid to say you are not happy. Don’t accept things just because he is nice. Well worth talking about the forum. He knows about it, has been an active member, has read reviews. He doesn’t want bad publicity.
My van went back to him a total of 4 times for different, but linked things. Because of the issues I now have (friction has rubbed through the canvas on the top and bottom drivers side corner where it is pulled in and sits on the frame) it is going in to Hilo. I don’t think this is something for VanDoc to resolve. As to whether it is poor design or poor fitting who knows.
It still f’ing creaks though.
Make sure your sliding access board rails are perfectly square, mine weren’t, so the board kept falling out every time it was slid backwards. Then when they were straightened and new ones put in, one of the sides was kinked, meaning had to drive all the way back again.
Make sure that they alter the gas struts so that you can pull it down.
Check their joins around the carpeting, there not the best.
A while ago I did look to delete my original post on this thread after all of the problems I have had, but it would have deleted the whole thread. So I reckon it now serves as a fuller business review. I hope yours turns out ok, which, being aware of all the things covered throughout these pages will make you forearmed and assist you to be better prepared than I was.
I went off the strength of a recommendation from a friend, perhaps should have spent more time shopping around. Would I return? I have to say no, just because I got so fed up of taking the van back for the same things to be sorted to my satisfaction. I wouldn’t have driven away in it if I had had the choice, but needed it, so had to keep returning. But they did put right all of the things I brought to their attention. Were all of the problems of their making? No, half of them were, the other half were down to the body shop they used to fill and paint the roofs (the older Hilo sport model had metal disks on the top of the shell that VanDoc had removed as they were ugly - the newer models have a different securing system and do not use these).
So I hope this helps. One of the problems you are always going to get is it’s hard to work out where the fault lies, the fitter will say the manufacturer, the manufacturer will say the fitter.

Hmm, maybe I need some extra re-assurances now. I had a terrible experience on my last van from another local company fitting a different roof (poptops slimline one - roof never went down properly, made lots of noises, caught the canvas etc) - the first one they fit and they do commercial vehicle fit outs mainly. As you say the fitter and roof maker each pushed the blame back on to each other, had it sorted to some degree and had to get shot of it. Caused me and the fitter some extra grey hairs, I just don't need it.

Hilo does seem a much more evolved product and Van Doc do them day in day out which is what has given me confidence, and the publicised reviews, which I guess you can take with a pinch of salt sometimes, the latest facebook one looks dubious.

My TSI is a sporty van and have already expressed I do not want any squeeks and creaks from it.

Luckily I am 10 mins away literally and have another vehicle to make use of, another thing that I felt was good.

I'd love nothing more than to be singing their praises on here in a few weeks!

Hmm, maybe I need some extra re-assurances now. I had a terrible experience on my last van from another local company fitting a different roof (poptops slimline one - roof never went down properly, made lots of noises, caught the canvas etc) - the first one they fit and they do commercial vehicle fit outs mainly. As you say the fitter and roof maker each pushed the blame back on to each other, had it sorted to some degree and had to get shot of it. Caused me and the fitter some extra grey hairs, I just don't need it.

Hilo does seem a much more evolved product and Van Doc do them day in day out which is what has given me confidence, and the publicised reviews, which I guess you can take with a pinch of salt sometimes, the latest facebook one looks dubious.

My TSI is a sporty van and have already expressed I do not want any squeeks and creaks from it.

Luckily I am 10 mins away literally and have another vehicle to make use of, another thing that I felt was good.

I'd love nothing more than to be singing their praises on here in a few weeks!
I hope so too @amdowney

@amdowney we had no issue with their workmanship, we still find it hard to accept we lost so much time and a whole summer waiting for a conversion that should have taken 6-8 weeks max took 6 months but although we still haven't managed to get out and test it yet as delivered late autumn we are happy with the general workmanship so I wouldn't worry about that, hope this helps.

Just came across this thread an see it wasnt just me to get caught up in the over booking issue they had. Booked my roof in for April 2018 but got pushed back two week so took it in start of June to get roof, windows, carpet, floor, electrics and Rib seat done. By end of July the roof had not long been started and nothing else. I had to make the call to scrap all the other stuff i wanted and just get the roof done and and told them id collect the following week. They were still fitting it when i arrived and had to wait a couple of hours.
The guys are relay nice and cant fault there workmanship. Its unfortunate they have been caught up with a rouge staff member over booking. I think my only bugbare was right after i collected they rolled out a carpet and windows offer which surprised me as they had no time to do mine.

Im getting some of the other teathers now, squeaking from the rear and i cant pull the roof down in hot weather. The trim peice that goes along the windscrean has lifted up. I have a replacement but i cant get the original off . Im 5hours from them so will have to arrange a visit to HiLow hq as there closer.

Just came across this thread an see it wasnt just me to get caught up in the over booking issue they had. Booked my roof in for April 2018 but got pushed back two week so took it in start of June to get roof, windows, carpet, floor, electrics and Rib seat done. By end of July the roof had not long been started and nothing else. I had to make the call to scrap all the other stuff i wanted and just get the roof done and and told them id collect the following week. They were still fitting it when i arrived and had to wait a couple of hours.
The guys are relay nice and cant fault there workmanship. Its unfortunate they have been caught up with a rouge staff member over booking. I think my only bugbare was right after i collected they rolled out a carpet and windows offer which surprised me as they had no time to do mine.

Im getting some of the other teathers now, squeaking from the rear and i cant pull the roof down in hot weather. The trim peice that goes along the windscrean has lifted up. I have a replacement but i cant get the original off . Im 5hours from them so will have to arrange a visit to HiLow hq as there closer.
Goodness me, disappointed for you. Really rubbish that you have had to can some of the work that should have been done, just to get your van back. So they had your van sat untouched for many weeks. That is what annoys me the most; that is time that you could have your van, and they should be able to communicate better to say “right we are a couple of weeks late but can take your van today, and will start on it tomorrow”.

Goodness me, disappointed for you. Really rubbish that you have had to can some of the work that should have been done, just to get your van back. So they had your van sat untouched for many weeks. That is what annoys me the most; that is time that you could have your van, and they should be able to communicate better to say “right we are a couple of weeks late but can take your van today, and will start on it tomorrow”.

The first delay i said ok but i thought if it keeps getting delayed and the van isnt in site id never get it started. Its al fine in the end but it did mean i couldn't sell my current camper till the new one was back so i had to sell it right at the end of the season but i still got a good price for it. One thing i will say they always pick up the phone when you call which is more that some other companies. Im mid build on my current conversion with a deadline for next weekend. I have several order all stuck in transit due to the holidays and trying to get ahold of the companies to find out whats happening is a nightmare.

OK delayed update from me!

Had my van back a couple of weeks ago, with a relatively quick turn around as promised of 2/3 weeks including the bank holiday and a slight delay getting the roof from Hilo - so any previous issues it seems (some ex employee overbooking) and long delays (unless down to hilo - I know the surf has a backlog) seem to be a blip in the past. Communication was brilliant with Phil being a credit to the team in clarifying any details along the way.

Now onto the roof itself, seems I have one of the revised models with front fastener nuts now recessed behind the front sun visors, I was happy to hear about this as being tall didn't want to whack my head on them - overall this roof and the fit is superb but am glad to have them so close by as noticed one of these fasteners didn't seem to be tightening up fully and had noises, so had to head back for a minor adjustment although Vandoc are a little wary about how these seat in the curved bodywork - something they have relayed to Hilo already. There is also a minor amount of squeaking sometimes from the rear, which may just be the false ceiling where LED lighting was installed that needs adjusting - will see on that one when I have finished securing a partially installed vanshade in the rear.

On the whole a thumbs up for Vandoc and Hilo although the costs can get a little crazy for everything you want doing and do wonder why I paid a bit extra over the RRP still with this revised roof design not needing a full respray which I think they did factor in originally to go the extra mile to hide some fixings. Opted to insulate, soundproof and carpet the sides myself now with some LEDs as they wanted getting on for half of the roof cost to do it :confused: and I did a fair job of it in the past in just a few days.

In my honest opinion, if you are in the Midlands and you want a Hilo, Vandoc are likely as good as anyone to do the job, they seem to know their product and attention to detail and aftercare so far seems good.

:)

Last edited:
Due to a lot of issues I have recently faced - along with threats from HiLo (more info to follow in different thread location), my investigative nature has kicked in, and I feel that you all need to be aware of this.

Everything below is publicly available information via Companies House, so I am just drawing attention to it, and asking a question.

• My HiLo roof was installed by Van Doc Ltd, at their business premises of Unit 3a, Priory Piece Business Park, Priory Farm Lane, Inkberrow, Worcester, WR7 4HT. This is the company name and address listed upon my invoice of sale, and therefore my right of waranty. Company Number 10158825. Some may think that they are still trading - THEY ARE NOT, well at least not as Van Doc Ltd!!!!!!!!!!!!

Companies House 1.JPG

• Please note the Company Status - Liquidation!

Companies House 2.JPG
  • Hence why the company address on the first picture above says the company address is 40-41 Foregate Street, Worcester, WR1 1EE. That is the registered office of the company managing the liquidation.

Companies House 2a.JPG

• Note the address change above, in that it demonstrates the Inkerrow address. Also, note below the name of the director, Withers, Dean.

Companies House 3.JPG

• So you may ask, what is occuring, because they are still trading aren't they? They are certainly still listed on HiLo's website as one of their approved installers.
Well this is why.

Companies House 5.JPG
  • Note the address - still the same location as Van Doc Ltd, however it is now VanDoc (one word) Conversions Ltd. Look at the date that the company was incorporated, July 2018. So is it the same company? Look at the name of the director....

Companies House 6.JPG
  • So why would someone change Van Doc for VanDoc? Could it be so that when you search for company data it makes it harder to locate? Why would someone do such a thing?

All I know is that if you had work carried out by Van Doc Ltd, your warranty is not worth the paper it is written on, because the company does not exist as a legal entity. Because there is now a brand new company that just happens to do the same sort of work, from the same premises, however it has a different name (even though it is very similar), a different company number, but the same director.

I'll leave it to you to draw whatever inference you wish from this. Perhaps it is all above board, seems odd to me, and certainly means I have no warranty on the works that Van Doc Ltd did on my vehicle.

Due to a lot of issues I have recently faced - along with threats from HiLo (more info to follow in different thread location), my investigative nature has kicked in, and I feel that you all need to be aware of this.

Everything below is publicly available information via Companies House, so I am just drawing attention to it, and asking a question.

• My HiLo roof was installed by Van Doc Ltd, at their business premises of Unit 3a, Priory Piece Business Park, Priory Farm Lane, Inkberrow, Worcester, WR7 4HT. This is the company name and address listed upon my invoice of sale, and therefore my right of waranty. Company Number 10158825. Some may think that they are still trading - THEY ARE NOT, well at least not as Van Doc Ltd!!!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 51722

• Please note the Company Status - Liquidation!

View attachment 51723
  • Hence why the company address on the first picture above says the company address is 40-41 Foregate Street, Worcester, WR1 1EE. That is the registered office of the company managing the liquidation.

View attachment 51724

• Note the address change above, in that it demonstrates the Inkerrow address. Also, note below the name of the director, Withers, Dean.

View attachment 51725

• So you may ask, what is occuring, because they are still trading aren't they? They are certainly still listed on HiLo's website as one of their approved installers.
Well this is why.

View attachment 51726
  • Note the address - still the same location as Van Doc Ltd, however it is now VanDoc (one word) Conversions Ltd. Look at the date that the company was incorporated, July 2018. So is it the same company? Look at the name of the director....

View attachment 51727
  • So why would someone change Van Doc for VanDoc? Could it be so that when you search for company data it makes it harder to locate? Why would someone do such a thing?

All I know is that if you had work carried out by Van Doc Ltd, your warranty is not worth the paper it is written on, because the company does not exist as a legal entity. Because there is now a brand new company that just happens to do the same sort of work, from the same premises, however it has a different name (even though it is very similar), a different company number, but the same director.

I'll leave it to you to draw whatever inference you wish from this. Perhaps it is all above board, seems odd to me, and certainly means I have no warranty on the works that Van Doc Ltd did on my vehicle.
That's appalling, well done for bringing it everyone's attention.

I’ve dealt with builders who pull this trick. They write off one company, leave all the creditors out of pocket, phoenix it into a new company with a near-identical name and carry on trading. It’s so obvious I don’t know why they don’t crack down on it.

Dear Mr Bray

Thank you for making people aware of our current situation, we have nothing to hide here at VanDoc Conversions Ltd

Yes Van Doc Ltd went into Liquidation back in May, unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances this was our only option.......
This did not affect any of our customers at the time, no deposits were lost and jobs were completed.

In regards to the warranty, we offer 12 months fitting warranty and any further warranty issued by manufactures
VanDoc Conversions Ltd will honour any Warranty work for customers of Van Doc Ltd, we have NEVER and will NEVER turn a customer away with warranty work from Van Doc Ltd

If anybody has any questions or would like any further information, please don't hesitate to get in touch info@vandoc.co.uk or 01386304537

Kind Regards
Dean

That's appalling, well done for bringing it everyone's attention.
Now now this appears to be a personal witch hunt as I have had a full conversion carried out by vandoc back in March 2017, any problems I have had have been rectified free of charge, my Van is actually having some Hilo roof rectification work carried out right now by the vandoc team, if your wondering what the zips on the front window have displaced and a strap has broken along with a internal hinge problem Now these are being rectified for free at no cost to myself, Also I am having some battery mods done to help with longevity of the battery’s free of charge because Vandoc contacted me and said we would like to modify certain aspects of our original install.
1. To stop the touch lights in roof when closed from switching on by themselves due to static, this is being rectified FREE of charge.
2. Hinge replacement to the inside bed board FREE of charge.
So it is unfortunate that someone who had some done by Vandoc is holding a grudge against them and is causing a small family business such stress and heart ache as my experience with them has been a good experience when it comes to customer service.

Now I am a consultant and I understand about these small businesses going into liquidation, so if they have anything to hide think of this why set up in the same name as a previous company oh yes I know why because they love the business and want to make it work not like a cowboy builder, DONT TAR THEM WITH THE SAME BRUSH COME ON PEOPLE.

I have advised vandoc to take this further and get a solicitor involved this to me seems like SLANDER and harassment any business lost because of this post should be compensated for.

Last edited:
It would be useful to understand why the company went into liquidation. This would help potential customers understand the risk.

From what I can see the original poster only mentioned publicly available facts.

Pete

Back