Van disaster

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
Okay today has been a little serious so here's a tiny tale that will invoke dread and horror but hopefully a smile into most of you.

Did a shop at Tesco yesterday and bought an 18 can pack of beer in a box. Stuck it in the boot with the rest of the shopping.
Carefully opened the boot at home and somehow the box had opened itself and...

every single can of beer fell the 3ft or so onto the driveway. Two immediately burst and sprayed precious amber nectar all over the place (I tossed them onto the lawn to sadly die a death), all but four of the rest are now heavily dented and to be treated like unexploded bombs.

Wasted beer - now that's a proper disaster.

Well it depends on what beer it was. Amber Nectar brings up the thought of the dreaded Fosters and the fact I don't go much on Canned Beer preferring it out of a bottle which had that been dropped would be more of a disaster.

Well it depends on what beer it was. Amber Nectar brings up the thought of the dreaded Fosters and the fact I don't go much on Canned Beer preferring it out of a bottle which had that been dropped would be more of a disaster.
Stella - not as bad now it's down to 4.8%. In fact I rather like it. The 5.2% "wife beater" was just too much.

I'll let you off @Polzeylad Stella is not bad at all. I was in Leuven working at the Uni and had to see the customs over some issue with the job I was doing and it was situated beside the Stella factory. Could not believe it, just a shame I could not go in for a tour

Stella - not as bad now it's down to 4.8%. In fact I rather like it. The 5.2% "wife beater" was just too much.

4.8 is just about right, 5 at a push, but beyond it is berserker land. 4.5 is okay, but certainly no less to do the job. In terms of dosage, I have exacted mine to eight 500ml cans over a period of about three hours, the first four making up the first hour. This seems to be just right, but only when on my own and when I can just crash out when I want. In company I think six cans enough over three hours.

I have tried all spirits and wines and ports and goodness knows over the years, but I have come firmly to the opinion that spirits are too strong for me, and wine is, too. So it is just beer for me. The best price I can find is £7.50 for eight, and sometimes £7.

Am i the same as other people in this matter?

I agree with the spirits and wines, can't touch any of them they either taste foul or make me fall over !

Done all in the past, problem working behind a bar when I was young. Weekends it could be 6 to 8 pints in a night. Even drunk a lot of spirits went through the lot but not wine. Don't drink much at all now mostly tea total

Good idea but I couldn't buy boxed wine ever!!!
I know what you mean but we have been known to buy boxes for camping/boating holidays - quality of some is surprisingly good.

If you have bought Australian/New Zealand/Chilean/South African/or other so called new world wines in recent years from a supermarket or chain (especially below the £6/£7 price range), there is a very good chance it was shipped in 24,000 litre flexible polythene tanks (effectively giant wine boxes) and then bottled in the UK.

In a similar vein, it wasn't that long ago that I'd have turned my nose up at bottles with screw tops but nowadays its usually the screw tops that disappear fastest from our wine rack. :)

Stella ! Only good for putting on your salad. I drink proper beer like fursty ferret
Jaipur, Broadside and Bengal Lancer among my faves, recently developed a taste for American IPA's, some very nice ones out there.
Working in Leeds the range of beers is stunning, also into gin as my spirit of choice, just opened a bottle of Sir Robin of Locksley which I highly recommend.

I put a slab of 24 Stella in the back of my Landy with my Great Dane. Came back half an hour later and he had put holes in all but one.

Jaipur, Broadside and Bengal Lancer among my faves, recently developed a taste for American IPA's, some very nice ones out there.
Working in Leeds the range of beers is stunning, also into gin as my spirit of choice, just opened a bottle of Sir Robin of Locksley which I highly recommend.
Jaipur, is probably the best beer in the world ever!!!!!, but now it is only available in small 330 bottles, it has become an expensive tipple. I have had a few offers direct from Thornbridge which helps.
The thing with good beer, is if the big breweries get hold of them over time they cheapen the ingredients; just a bit at a time, switch a few of the expensive hops for more commercial hops etc etc.
If its a big big brewery, and its brewed in the Uk under licence, chances are its been cheapened.
The American beers brewed in the states and shipped over already in cans or bottles seem to preserve their originality; or highly reputable smaller breweries are very good; but beers like Kronenbourg 1664 is just not the same as it used to be...... ahhhh the good old days:)

Simple solution @Polzeylad and you'll love it......... get your van nearer to the ground so they havent as far to fall!!!

Go on, you know you love a low van. :sneaky::sneaky::thumbsup::thumbsup::whistle::whistle: ;);)

Back