Van Details Coming Up Wrong On Insurance Quotes

paul600rr

T6 Pro
Hi I've picked up my T32 204 kombi highline and took vw 5 day free insurance out to get me going just doing a few quotes and when i put the reg in on insurance sites it saying van is a startline ?.? dealer assures me its been registered correct as a highline anyone else had this before

Had something similar when I phone to activate my 5-day insurance.
The insurer had to put me on hold while they contacted the dealer for confirmation of spec.
What should have been a 5 minute call took best part of half-an-hour!

Yeah I had to confirm with dealer even a few online insurance company now still not showing correct van need to sort it out this week waiting for a call back from a few aplan and another broker

I had issues as it wouldn't recognise the van correctly. Took a while and eventually got it sorted with the insurance company (Aviva) but they had to manually input it.

Similarly, it also comes up wrong when you put the reg in when booking Eurotunnel - apparently thinks my Kombi is a minibus!
The eurotunnel rep i spoke to said those were the details the DVLA provided them with!
My V5 says different! (def a van)

@PukkaT6 may be your best chance of a definitive answer, but in the back of my mind I am pretty sure the first insurer to add your vehicle to the MID is to blame if it is wrong.

Mine came up wrong when it was new, listed as a window van for some reason so had to speak to insurance company who manually corrected it, subsequent online stuff shows it correctly

@PukkaT6 may be your best chance of a definitive answer, but in the back of my mind I am pretty sure the first insurer to add your vehicle to the MID is to blame if it is wrong.

Its the manufacturer who registers the vehicle and causes half of the issues. That said we have had loads of issues whereby the list of options that insurance underwriters provide doesnt always seem to give an obvious corresponding vehicle/model which then causes issues with quoting.

When you take out an insurance policy the details are shared on mid however if they were manually changed then when you come to take out a new policy and they put in your reg it would default to the incorrectly registered details as car details as pulled from the DVLA database and not MID. The MID database is to identify if vehicles are insured and would not be used to determine the make/model.

Now Im not an expert in registering cars so in Paulies example I dont know if the insurer notified the DVLA and so the details were rectified.

Last edited:
Had the same kind of problem when speaking to insurance the first fella said it is car the next one said he could not find it anywhere .Spoke to insurance underwriters and they sorted in the end. :)

Back