Van And Watch

I'm just glad I'm not alone with my watch addiction (but I'm sort of in recovery now). I've collected / hoarded the things since I was a teenager and had about 30 including another Rolex (Explorer), a couple of vintage Heuers (but none of this modern Tag nonsense;)), Omegas and a Doxa until a few years ago when I sold most of them off. Nowadays, It's down to 5:

I'm very happy to be a part of the GShock club. I've had this since around 2009 and it's used mainly for when I'm cycling or out running (the latter is only occasionally and quite slowly!). It's had one replacement OEM strap but when it started going, I replaced it with a pair of adapters to use a NATO strap which I much prefer. Solar powered and radio control, what's not to like?
View attachment 177176
The watch that I wear every day is a Rolex Submariner bought in 2010 as a retirement present for myself. TBH, I was reluctant at first to mention this one as people often slag Rolex wearers off (usually prefixed by something like 'I can't understand why somebody pays for a Rolex when £10 quartz watch tells better time ........) but I love it.
View attachment 177177
Next up is a Breitling Ocean which I bought in Schipol Duty Free around 1988 - TBH, it doesn't get a lot of wear but I do swap it out for the Submariner every now and then. I mainly keep it out of sentiment as I bought it with money left to me by my mum.
View attachment 177178
A Luminox Navy Seal from around 2004. The only downside is it's a quartz movement which needs a battery replacement every 10 years but that's supposed to be the life if it's used all the time. Nowadays, I only really wear mine when travelling to places that might not be quite a safe as home and always pull the winder when it's in the safe (the original battery was replaced last year but the watch was still ticking away nicely before then). The hands and face uses tiny bottles of gas (might be tritium) which are permanently luminescent.
View attachment 177180
Last but not least an automatic Seiko Prospex Samurai Save The Ocean (Great White Special Edition) which might just be the longest ever name for a watch. I've always liked Seiko dive watches and reckon they're one of the best 'bang for buck' watches you can buy. I only got this one in 2020 and it's used as a 'travel watch' alongside the Luminox.
View attachment 177187
Always an ex service man never a civilian

This one I bought on a whim....... nonetheless it does get some nice remarks when I wear it.
View attachment 177374
UK maker who is really very popular.

Another Christopher Ward fan!! I’m another one with a “watch problem” which I have admitted to but not going to any group therapy sessions just yet - silly really as I can only wear one at a time. Nothing stupidly expensive but I do have a few Christopher Wards now (UK company and great value), a Glycine Airman (bit of a treat), a Citizen Skyhawk (one of the radio controlled ones) and a trusty, bombproof G-Shock.

Here’s the most recent addition:
F9971B33-DE14-4DDC-8D7F-D5029B3A1A97.jpeg

"You can take the man out of the services" - "but you cannot take the services out of the man"
View attachment 178282
Now 30 years old. It's seen 2 wars and other than a glass and battery change still serves me well. No lume left.
I’ve never served but have a CWC G10 with date from Silvermans circa late 90s, and it has ran constantly since then and keeps the best time out of all of my watches. You can still purchase them new from Silvermans. The PDV black case looks smart.

My brother and I inherited a a lovely Rolex which we sold so I thought I’d get a much cheaper copy … this is a seiko offshoot
View attachment 178359
I have an Orient Bambino dress watch which was an inexpensive automatic with self winding and time hacking. Orient are part of Epson which is in the Seiko group.

5537D4E5-C3C1-401E-9518-99E18647D15E.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the same watch, I have other dive watches but this one is the most accurate and being solar, easiest to use , no need to adjust time regularly like my automatic dive watch as it is accurate to about 2 seconds a month.
Had it since 2016 and I wear it every day, still going well.View attachment 178405
I wish I hadn’t sold it, they seem to go for a lot more now. And I can’t find another one

Back