V5 Updates Before Insuring As A Campervan?

DXX

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi All,
I’ll be picking up my converted Kombi in a weeks time. Does anybody know if the V5 vehicle classification needs to be changed before camper van insurance is valid?
Obviously if I drive the converted van on the original Kombi insurance policy while the V5 changes are in progress the insurance company won’t cover the conversion, even worse they may not cover the vehicle if I haven’t informed them of the modifications.
Facts not opinions would be a great help.
Thanks.

FACT
Your insurance company would know the answer
Or whoever your going to insure it with

Hi @DXX . Our van is in the process of been converted and the insurance company i am with will not insure once van converted . so been in touch with a few other companies
and they have said that once the conversion has been done they will insure us straight away once we let them know the pick up date . and they said that once the V5 has
been changed they would check once i have received the V5 back hope this helps :thumbsup:

Our policy through A Plan allowed a certain amount of time for the conversion to be done so was effectively insured as both, we have the van back now but just waiting for the V5. Best speak to your insurer as all are different.

When I have insured 'self-builds' insurance companies have always given a specified time to convert and confirm (with a scan) that the V5C has been updated to body type 'Motor Caravan'.

Rod

Hi @DXX . Our van is in the process of been converted and the insurance company i am with will not insure once van converted . so been in touch with a few other companies
and they have said that once the conversion has been done they will insure us straight away once we let them know the pick up date . and they said that once the V5 has
been changed they would check once i have received the V5 back hope this helps :thumbsup:

I'm in a similar boat with my conversion finishing in a couple of weeks. Which companies are you talking to that will insure you from pick date and will accept V5 at a later date? I'm about to start ringing round for quotes so far I've got Brentacre and justcampers on my list. Any other suggestions welcome.

Hi @Flashollie I phoned up loads. But the companies that i have found helpful are Safeguard and Caravan Guard and a good quotes aswell . Good luck with your search . I bet you are like me
cant wait for conversion to finish :thumbsup:

Highly recommend the Thatcham branch of A plan. Spoke the other day and they said to just send in the V5 when I get it back, van is fully insured throughout

JustKampers do a policy that allows you a year to do the conversion process from standard vehicle to a camper.

I been gathering a few quotes for my soon to be completed full conversion. I've not gone through them in fine detail yet but Adrian Flux and Just campers are around 500 mark both want a tracker fitted and happy for V5 to be sent through later. Brrntacre were 900 and wouldn't send me the details unless I signed up over the phone. So how can I see if their product meets my needs and review the small print to help me compare policies - so they won't get my business.

I eventually got camper insurance with Marker Study through brokers Brentacre, they were the most expensive but were the only company who wanted full details of the modifications. They insured for the camper conversion prior to the V5 update.
Note that Brentacre do charge a fairly hefty fee for brokering at every policy renewal.
Marker Study insurance doc’s are available online to read through prior to insuring, Brentacre didn’t tell me this until I informed them that I wouldn’t insure without seeing the policy details first.
A couple of other recommended camper insurance companies quoted without even wanting the engine spec (BHP) or camper modification details, this left me thinking that things wouldn’t exactly be straight forward in the event of a claim so I avoided them.

Back