V5 Query

cy294

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have a 2016 T6 and when I purchased it last year, it had two singles at front and rear bench seat for 3.

I went to check my V5 for something today and when looking for the info I needed, I saw that it says it has six seats when I only have 5. Is this right or an error?

Anybody know?

TIA

Weird, I've only got seatbelts for 5, yet why say 6. Does it make a difference to tax or class?

May have had a double front seat - are there a couple of bungs in the floor by the hand brake? If there was a double bench seat, the middle seat belt is built into the seat.

Its easy enough to get changed - just a box to fill in on your V5 and send it off. I changed mine from 9 to 8.

Ian

My panel van has driver and single passenger, but states 3 seats on the V5

May have had a double front seat - are there a couple of bungs in the floor by the hand brake? If there was a double bench seat, the middle seat belt is built into the seat.
Thanks for the reply. Nope, no bungs or obvious signs of there being a double seat before. Very strange.
Its easy enough to get changed - just a box to fill in on your V5 and send it off. I changed mine from 9 to 8.

Ian

Very strange, no obvious signs of there being a double seat

I had mine from new so no seats were swapped. Either an error or just the way vw register them

My panel van has driver and single passenger, but states 3 seats on the V5

mine too and came from factory with 2 singles up front.

I didn’t question it as mine has gone straight to the converters so will soon need to be changed to 4 seats and ideally as a motor caravan but that’s a discussion for a whole different thread!

My factory kombi is/was the same.

2 captains seats up front and tripple behind bit down as 6 seater on the log book.

Brilliant for me as I'v now fitted an extra seat in the 3rd row so actually have 6 seats.

My Kombi was the same, was corrected when I did the V5 changes after conversion.

I have a 2016 T6 and when I purchased it last year, it had two singles at front and rear bench seat for 3.

I went to check my V5 for something today and when looking for the info I needed, I saw that it says it has six seats when I only have 5. Is this right or an error?

Anybody know?

TIA
I have exactly the same for my van T32 Logbook says 6 and like your it has two single seats in the front and 2+1 in the second row = 5 seats (Combi)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm glad it's not just me. As long as it has no bearing on tax for the van, happy days. Thanks again

My only slight concern would be around insurance.

If the V5 says 6 and the vehicle has 5 would / could the insurance company claim it is an undeclared modification and refuse a claim?

My van had 9 seats when I bought it and drove it home, however, dropping to 8 made a £1k difference in the insurance cost. The insurers agreed to insure for 8 seats knowing I was swapping the double front seat but were insistent that DVLA must be notified of the seat reduction.

Any insurance experts on here who could advise?

A lot of insurance companies have a 8seat threshold for normal vehicles. 9seats tends to be for taxi’s and that’s why the costs are significantly higher.
I had similar queries when insuring my 8seat transporter. All the companies mentioned that I was lucky it wasn’t a 9seater!
I doubt you would see a saving between a 4 or 5 seat vehicle.

It wasnt the saving that interests me, its insurance companies avoiding paying claims on a technicality - oh the V5 say 6 seats, you only have 5 = un notified modification = insurance invalid.

My concerns may be unfounded, however, some ins companies want to know if you’ve changed the colour of your wheels??

A thousand pound Saving doesn’t interest you... ok?

It’s a “downgrade” in specification and I seriously doubt your insurer will care....
Call your insurer up and ask them as no matter what anyone says on here you won’t know until you ask your insurer.

Insurance companies employ Loss Adjusters to review claims. In many cases they have very poor contracts where their only income is a percentage of the reduced or rejected payout. There is an incentive to be harsh.
That doesn’t apply in all cases but some operate this way.

Back