What's my van worth??

Hmm, yes a fair point that. It’s too expensive really to sell private as I certainly wouldn’t spend that much without warranty etc. And trade in wise I’d probably get ripped off.

You could see if a local sales lot would sell on commission for you.... that way they can offer financing and you both get something out of it

If you NEED to sell then sadly you are likely to make a big loss. Remember your van is not “worth” £20k and your conversion is not “worth” £28k, that’s just what they would cost if you were buying them at retail now. If you are saying that your van and conversion together cost £48k then you need to look at what people are paying for a similar age/spec/conversion van and then knock off 15-20% for the dealer’s margin and warranty. I doubt whether you’d get half your money back i.e. £24k if you sold to a dealer and your best hope is to do what @zombie_T6 advised and see if you can put it on a dealers forecourt on commission only and be prepared to wait for the right person looking for exactly your van. Unfortunately expensive aftermarket conversions only make sense if you’re keeping long term, otherwise you’re better either converting yourself to keep the cost down, or getting a factory conversion. Your £48k would have got you a very decent used Cali that you could have sold in a heartbeat without losing much money. Considerations for next time. Good luck, I hope it works out ok.

Afternoon all !

Amazing weather and I’ve just converted my van into a camper.
I don’t plan to sell until late next year but I’m curious to it’s current value compared to what it stands me at.
Details as:

2016 T30 2.0 140BhP Highline DSG LWB
36,000 miles
Full conversion including
Austop roof with Panaramic canvas & Solar panel
RIB bed
Upgraded Leisure battery
Dometic wind out awning
Dometic fridge, 2 ring burner and sink.
19” Tomasson wheels with Bridgestone rubber
B14 coilovers
DRL headlights
LED rear lights with Dynamic indicators ( Transporter HQ )

Thanks for your help !!

2F02ED8D-9CC6-4238-A3E6-B45CDE0E09CA.jpeg

82748982-7C80-44DD-ABCE-EC04216EE441.jpeg

Private sale I would say around £25-£28K if your lucky.
I can see that you are probably in it for around £30-£32K. People just wont pay retail prices for a private sale without any warranty or finance.

Don't be fooled by what people are asking on private listings, you have to see what they actually sell for.

I could (and hopefully am) be wrong though.

Hi - have just tried to re-register our T6 now she is complete - sent all photos requested showing roof up, doors and windows open, bed down, cooking, sink facilities etc - V5 came back and they have only added additional seats and not classed it as motorhome - phoned today and was told as it still looks like a van externally it cannot be changed as would still be identified as a van in a hit and run ot similar.
What have you guys done, any tips?
Also concerned about insurance - if you have experienced the same have you insured the internal of van separately as I assume if in an accident they would only only pay for a van as it states on V5??
Thanks for any advice

Hi all,

I’ve just received my log book back and it says van/side windows and not motor caravan as I put went sending the log book off. My van is a full conversion and I set all the pics with the form.

Can I leave it or should I send it off again?

Also, I’ve been driving around at 70mph on the motorway. Is there anything wrong with that?

Hi all,

I’ve just received my log book back and it says van/side windows and not motor caravan as I put went sending the log book off. My van is a full conversion and I set all the pics with the form.

Can I leave it or should I send it off again?

Also, I’ve been driving around at 70mph on the motorway. Is there anything wrong with that?
V5 Documentation - Dvla Rule Change For Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Have a look on this discussion, yer not the only one

Motorway fine, dual carriageway not.

50 single carriageway
60 dual carriageway
70 motorway

edit: and you can't use the Rotheride tunnel

Last edited:
Ok, thanks Loz. Hopefully I haven’t just buggered myself up whilst away at the weekend.

Hi Guys

Looking for some help i am all new to this

I bought a base van at a garage and the log book was sent direct to DVLA from the garage i never got chance to study it apart for the reg number, colour and chassis number, which matched the search i did, whilst it was being converted into a motor caravan the log book eventually returned stating body type :- van/side windows, but its a box van with no side windows, so i'm very confused and concerned.

I have emailed DVLA photos of the van as i bought it with no side windows and a photo with windows now cut in
during the conversion

Thanks

Hi Guys

Looking for some help i am all new to this

I bought a base van at a garage and the log book was sent direct to DVLA from the garage i never got chance to study it apart for the reg number, colour and chassis number, which matched the search i did, whilst it was being converted into a motor caravan the log book eventually returned stating body type :- van/side windows, but its a box van with no side windows, so i'm very confused and concerned.

I have emailed DVLA photos of the van as i bought it with no side windows and a photo with windows now cut in
during the conversion

Thanks

Your not alone.

V5 Documentation - Dvla Rule Change For Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

I haven’t bothered sending mine off as I emailed the DVLA after being totally confused and this is what they sent back, so until they know what they are doing, I will keep as is!

Dear Mrs Whitehouse,

Thank you for your enquiry received on 15/8/2019.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to contact us in relation to this matter.

I am sorry but DVLA are unable to advise on what work needs to be carried out in order for a vehicle to be changed to a 'Motor Caravan' on the V5C Registration Certificate.

DVLA’s current policy for motor caravan conversions is that the vehicle has to look like a motor caravan externally and have the minimum features as listed on the gov.ukwebsite. The Agency receives many requests to change a vehicle’s body type to motor caravan and these vehicles range in different shapes, sizes, and have various distinguishing features so we are unable to provide an exhaustive list of what we would expect to see on an application.

Some vehicles, such as those currently classified as ‘Luton Van’, ‘Box Van’ and ‘Double Decker Bus/Coach’ etc. are unlikely to have their body type changed on the V5C. However, it is important to remember that even if the DVLA are unable to change the body type to ‘Motor Caravan’, vehicle keepers are still able to use the vehicle for this purpose.

Regulation 16 of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002 (as amended) states the Secretary of State must update the vehicle register and issue a new registration document if he is satisfied that the vehicle has been altered in the way notified to him.

For us to consider the change of body type the exterior of the vehicle must look like a motor caravan while moving in traffic.

The DVLA are aware the guidance on the GOV.UK web page is inconsistent with the Agency’s definition of body type and we are working with the Department for Transport in taking steps to rectify this as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies for any confusion this has caused.

In order to request the Body Type to be changed to 'Motor Caravan', please send the following to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA:

- V5C or V62 and Green New Keeper Slip or £25 fee
- Any changes recorded in the relevant section of the V5C
- Documentary evidence from the manufacturer or converter (in the form of a letter on headed paper) clarifying the date on which the conversion took place
- If the conversion was done by yourself and not a professional converter/manufacturer, please provide original receipts where available
- Photographs of the interior and exterior of the vehicle which clearly show the number plate

Customers can download a guide to motor caravan conversions by searching motorhome conversion on GOV.UK.

You'll receive a response within 2-4 weeks.

Form V62 can be downloaded from www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration-certificate-v5c-log-book and is available from any taxing Post Office®

I hope this information is of assistance to you.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our copy and reply or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

Best Regards

servlet.ImageServer

This bit “For us to consider the change of body type the exterior of the vehicle must look like a motor caravan while moving in traffic” is a way of saying that a poptop will not be considered as an external change

The DVLA are aware the guidance on the GOV.UK web page is inconsistent with the Agency’s definition of body type and we are working with the Department for Transport in taking steps to rectify this as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies for any confusion this has caused.
Interesting admission of inconsistency there.

This bit “For us to consider the change of body type the exterior of the vehicle must look like a motor caravan while moving in traffic” is a way of saying that a poptop will not be considered as an external change
Unless you drive around with it up, it will still look like a van. (which is the whole point of it)

Yeh, it’s rubbish answer and until they know what they are looking for I am not going to bother! They have confirmed I am not breaking the law using it as a camper and I have her insured as a camper so there shouldn’t be an issue with Insurance value

With all the speculation regarding new DVLA rules on motor caravan conversions I’m rethinking my approach to the conversion.
What advantages are there to a DVLA recognised motor caravan conversion?

I hear you can still get insurance with photographic evidence, (for a van with windows).
I know I’ll be limited on my speed.
My road tax will remain at £240.

What are the pro’s and con’s of the change?

I don’t really want to put graphics all down the side of my van, I also don’t really want two windows down on side.
So, I’m trying to decide is it worth a compromise on these things to try and get DVLA accreditation?

Sorry for the long boring post!

Back