USB/USB-C points & LED lighting off standard lights? How to fit?

timthetinyhorse

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I would like to fit few USB or USB-C charge points in the back of my van (standard T28 trendline, no leisure battery or anything like that). Im fast approaching the finish of my insulation and would like to get wired in before the ply goes on.

Does anyone have a simple guide as to where I wire them from etc?

I would also to add extra LED lights that come on with the courtesy lights in the back, is there a simple way to do this?

I have done loads of industrial power stuff but never done any 12v switched type stuff and van/car electrics is like scary witchcraft!

Thanks

For the USB's, there is nothing in the back that you can connect to, you'll need to run a new cable from the fuse box. Personally I'd use a twin cable and use a piggy back fuse holder in the fuse box for your +12v. Connect the -ve to the OEM earth stud by the wheel arch in the front. You can connect your charge points in parallel.

For the lights the easiest way is to tap into the existing courtesy light circuit. For on/off with the existing lights you need to connect to red/black +ve and brown/red -ve switched by the doors. These cables can be found in the connector blocks behind the glove box in the passenger side they run up the A pillar and along the head lining to the existing lights in the back of your van.

Thanks for that! Really helpful
Tim! Could you please sent me the full name of usb charge points or just a link to them? I have the same doubts as you had. I need to put some usb vents on the back cause have only front air-condition.
Hope your transformation went good.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Back