USB Ports - are VW fobbing me off?

johnmacster

VIP Member
T6 Guru
A plea for help if I may,
When I ordered my T6 Kombi it was meant to have 2 x USB ports - one in the centre console on the comfort dash to connect to apple carplay (as it was demonstrated at order time) and a second USB port for charging in the glove box, which is important to me as I need one for charging survey cameras, GoPro, etc. I only got the USB in the glovebox, which connects to the carplay, which is a pain to be fair but manageable. VW have admitted the mis-build but say it cannot be moved or retrofitted and suggested I get a USB thingymejig and fit it into the cigarette lighter port to use as a charger port. Are they just avoiding doing the work or is this correct? I am sure if I walked in off the street and asked for a USB port to connect to the stereo they could do it and would charge me handsomely for it!
I cheekily suggested if they were trying to avoid stripping the dash out I would accept a leisure battery and a USB port in the rear instead to save them the work!
Any thoughts? Cheers in advance, John

It can be retrofitted, a few of us have done it, but it requires fitting a 'USB hub' in the dash and connecting up another power supply to it then the additional point can be connected
Parts for this mod are circa £250 + installation

Have you thought of calling another dealer and simply asking asking how much the job would cost? - at least then you would know if the original supplier is trying to fob you off or not. A bit extreme but you could always threaten to reject it on the basis that it's not what you ordered - that should shock them into action. Also, take note of what Pauly says - he's the real deal with this electrickery stuff.

It can be retrofitted, a few of us have done it, but it requires fitting a 'USB hub' in the dash and connecting up another power supply to it then the additional point can be connected
Parts for this mod are circa £250 + installation
That'll explain why they are reluctant! Cheers for the reply Pauly

Have you thought of calling another dealer and simply asking asking how much the job would cost? - at least then you would know if the original supplier is trying to fob you off or not. A bit extreme but you could always threaten to reject it on the basis that it's not what you ordered - that should shock them into action. Also, take note of what Pauly says - he's the real deal with this electrickery stuff.
That is a good idea, cheers!

Back