USB Ports - are VW fobbing me off?

johnmacster

VIP Member
T6 Pro
A plea for help if I may,
When I ordered my T6 Kombi it was meant to have 2 x USB ports - one in the centre console on the comfort dash to connect to apple carplay (as it was demonstrated at order time) and a second USB port for charging in the glove box, which is important to me as I need one for charging survey cameras, GoPro, etc. I only got the USB in the glovebox, which connects to the carplay, which is a pain to be fair but manageable. VW have admitted the mis-build but say it cannot be moved or retrofitted and suggested I get a USB thingymejig and fit it into the cigarette lighter port to use as a charger port. Are they just avoiding doing the work or is this correct? I am sure if I walked in off the street and asked for a USB port to connect to the stereo they could do it and would charge me handsomely for it!
I cheekily suggested if they were trying to avoid stripping the dash out I would accept a leisure battery and a USB port in the rear instead to save them the work!
Any thoughts? Cheers in advance, John

Pauly

VCDS User
Admin
It can be retrofitted, a few of us have done it, but it requires fitting a 'USB hub' in the dash and connecting up another power supply to it then the additional point can be connected
Parts for this mod are circa £250 + installation

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Have you thought of calling another dealer and simply asking asking how much the job would cost? - at least then you would know if the original supplier is trying to fob you off or not. A bit extreme but you could always threaten to reject it on the basis that it's not what you ordered - that should shock them into action. Also, take note of what Pauly says - he's the real deal with this electrickery stuff.

johnmacster

VIP Member
T6 Pro
It can be retrofitted, a few of us have done it, but it requires fitting a 'USB hub' in the dash and connecting up another power supply to it then the additional point can be connected
Parts for this mod are circa £250 + installation
That'll explain why they are reluctant! Cheers for the reply Pauly

johnmacster

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Have you thought of calling another dealer and simply asking asking how much the job would cost? - at least then you would know if the original supplier is trying to fob you off or not. A bit extreme but you could always threaten to reject it on the basis that it's not what you ordered - that should shock them into action. Also, take note of what Pauly says - he's the real deal with this electrickery stuff.
That is a good idea, cheers!