USB Hub Gen 2.1

ryananja

Hello everyone

I’m sorry if this has already been posted.

I have a late 2016 Caravelle. It has a Composition a media radio with 1 Apple CarPlay USB in the passenger glove box

I want to add a second USB into the centre glove box, but in order to do that I need to change the USB Hub in the car, if there is one.

Does my car even have a usb hub at all?

I have bought a usb hub 2.1 and I have bought an additional USB port. (Pictures attached)

Assuming I don’t have a usb hub in the car at all, how to I connect all this up.

From the deck to the hub and from the existing Apple CarPlay usb to this hub.

Your expertise would be appreciated.

ADF9EA2A-1935-4F7C-8D8B-53FBC33F9022.png

4290C176-A1EE-4CBF-ACDA-A798328D095D.jpeg

3B621BE9-1796-42E5-B3A2-7F25AD236961.jpeg

F69E7464-9BE2-4FAC-AA39-31CBF7881E6F.jpeg

You need to take the original usb lead and use it to feed the hub, then you need two leads from the hub - one to each of the usb outlets
The hub requires a 5v supply (use the two wires that feed the original outlet) and a 12v supply (needs to be installed from dash fuse box to usb hub, if you don’t already have it you will need the little red four pin connector housing to connect those wires to the hub

You were reading my mind. I was actually trying to find at the different leads and connectors I needed. Thanks for helping me find this one. I really appreciate it.

Hello Paul

I’ve managed to get that red connector (thank you)

In order to get car play to that usb in the centre console, do I also need to use the purple 4 pin connector to the Vw usb, or will the green/ yellow one do?

575B45B3-0E48-408A-B07A-E7BC20EAF9A9.png
Hello Paul

The attached usb hub is what I want to add to my composition media unit.

I’ve bought the red connector as you advised.

It’s the brown connector (usb 2) the cable that goes into the middle console that I’m confused about. Do you know the part number for this cable or can I use the exact same cable as USB on the diagram (the purple one)

All the leads are the similar the only difference between part numbers is the plugs being straight or right angled

Hello Paul

Thank you for carrying this conversation on. I’ve attached the usb unit that goes between my console. As you can see from the back, the purple connector has 2 additional pins to the left. This is why I’m confused. The 4 pins all look the same but this one is different. Am I mistaken or will any connector of for this to also give this usb the ability of CarPlay.

0458B137-7808-4B38-88DB-CB8340E75F38.png

1B50C18F-E817-4C88-A8DA-0C63026C87D8.png

784B96D0-996C-4124-A528-68D8A73A93AC.png

On your original socket that’s the two pins that the 0v and 5v connect to
Those wires need to be rerouted to the red plug on the hub (along with a 12v feed from fuse box)
When I did mine I replaced that 6 pin usb with a normal 4 pin one but sure someone has since said that it will work, no harm in trying

I hear what you are saying, and it does make sense (mostly). I guess I’m a bit scared I mess something completely up. Would you be prepared to have a telephone conversation with me over this? I’m totally fine if you’d rather not. I’m just trying to wk out the step by steps or parts needed to do this.

I’ve phoned numerous places most of which are useless.

Back