Upgrading From The Famous £99 Ikea Bed..

Hi Callakn,

Take a look at the Ovano system (link below). Basically a birch ply system that you can store flat when not in use if required. Though not sure you would want to remove once fitted as it looks very flexible. Key feature being that can use either with or without the Kombi seats fitted. If seats removed then the bed rests on some legs that also double as locking supports for the bench seat position. Means you have the space that the seats would normally take up and a bench seat for the day. Then easily pull out the bed for night.

thanks For your input mate, I’ve ordered a new seatpod slidepod

be interested to see how you get on with it as that’s the other option I’m considering

Agree spoken to them a couple of times and found them really helpful. Really like their system and think it would be great if mainly using for camping but as a daily van think you would have to remove. That’s why I’m leaning towards the Ovano as think you could leave in all the time and use rather than just as a bed.

£99 for almost exactly what you need....or £2900 for exactly what you need....ouch!
Sorry I'm a bit bias with the IKEA bed.

Reactions: JOG
£99 for almost exactly what you need....or £2900 for exactly what you need....ouch!
Sorry I'm a bit bias with the IKEA bed.

ikea bed is great for a night here or there, we’ve done a week on it also. But now I’ve got a table built in behind my captains seat, folding the bed out is an utter pain, specially when it’s cold And we don’t want to be getting out the van to try and unfold late at night half naked.... so that’s the first up to the slidepod, secondly, I’m praying it’s going to be comfier, because I find myself sliding into the middle of this bed all too often! And finally, a conversion with a3/4bed and kitchen costs £6000+ (skies your limit!) whereas this is a full double bed with a kitchen unit that can be used out the back, saving on cooking inside the van... which we personally don’t want !

Hey Cal. Been looking for too long now into sleeping options for my SWB Kombi. I’m a solo mountain climber which the van is used for. Seems for all the kits I’ve looked into a £99 IKEA bed could be the answer. Glad I’ve stumbled across this thread, cheers

ikea bed is great for a night here or there, we’ve done a week on it also. But now I’ve got a table built in behind my captains seat, folding the bed out is an utter pain, specially when it’s cold And we don’t want to be getting out the van to try and unfold late at night half naked.... so that’s the first up to the slidepod, secondly, I’m praying it’s going to be comfier, because I find myself sliding into the middle of this bed all too often! And finally, a conversion with a3/4bed and kitchen costs £6000+ (skies your limit!) whereas this is a full double bed with a kitchen unit that can be used out the back, saving on cooking inside the van... which we personally don’t want !
This is my problem the IKEA bed just dumps everything into the middle it's not comfy at all

Infinity Customs have a couple of options that sit between the Ikea bed and the Ovano. Think I paid £240 for my Kombi bed (delivered) Then £20 on paint.

Slidepods solution didn't work for me as I need to load goods in and out of the back. Mounting the full width of the load door restricts how the van can be used. It would be better if they had an option that slid out lengthways.

Back