Upgrading From The Famous £99 Ikea Bed..

CALLAKN

Electrician / Linesman
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hello guys!

Since we have several months to sit tight, I’m going to start looking at upgrading the old Ikea bed. Slept in it this weekend, and it’s just not what I’m after anymore.

Really like the @slidepods , what’s the competitors on the market to these? What are people using?

love the slide pod idea, how easy would it be to make one that extends 3 times over (to compensate for the kombi seats we don’t want in when camping!!) want a nice living space that we have now, to then make an easy transition come night time...

So, day time, seating and chilling, and then easy slide out for a full bed at night...

Ikea bed does it so well, BUT we want something more sturdy and not one that’s hard to fold out over itself when both are in the van crammed in a corner whilst doing so , and then waiting for our vango air bed to self inflate!

pic to show how living space at present

49F752A1-8900-4CF1-A061-5CE89F50F179.jpeg

Couldn't you get rid of the kombi seats altogether and get a r'n'r bed or one on a rail system for ultimate flexibility?
Do you ever carry passengers? If not a simple slatted side bed that pulls out to double width could work, they look pretty simple to make.

What sort of budget you looking at?

Couldn't you get rid of the kombi seats altogether and get a r'n'r bed or one on a rail system for ultimate flexibility?
Do you ever carry passengers? If not a simple slatted side bed that pulls out to double width could work, they look pretty simple to make.

What sort of budget you looking at?

the money we’d spend on a rock and roller, just doesn’t interest us tbf... plus everyone’s got one... anddddd they take away from the versatility of the van, can’t just throw it in and out...

I suppose a slide pod, that didn’t need the kombi seats to make a full double when fully opened is the winner in my eyes...

the money we’d spend on a rock and roller, just doesn’t interest us tbf... plus everyone’s got one... anddddd they take away from the versatility of the van, can’t just throw it in and out...

Yes a r'n'r bed is definitely a permanent fixture. I wouldn't have one again, but a seat/bed system on rails is a totally different matter. Do you need the system to be totally (and easily) removable then? Ie. You use the van when the rear is empty?

Not sure on the slide pod thing, sorry.
I did look at loads of options when I bought my T6 (including kombi options etc) but they were all a compromise. Ended up with a Cali seat/bed on rails. I've got furniture down the side too but you could have it like a Cali beach for proper versatility.

Thing is though what works for one doesn't work for another does it. Good luck!

Yes a r'n'r bed is definitely a permanent fixture. I wouldn't have one again, but a seat/bed system on rails is a totally different matter. Do you need the system to be totally (and easily) removable then? Ie. You use the van when the rear is empty?

Not sure on the slide pod thing, sorry.
I did look at loads of options when I bought my T6 (including kombi options etc) but they were all a compromise. Ended up with a Cali seat/bed on rails. I've got furniture down the side too but you could have it like a Cali beach for proper versatility.

Thing is though what works for one doesn't work for another does it. Good luck!

Exactly mate, at the moment, my van can be a 5 seater, a empty cargo van, or a camper with sofa bed, etc. Trying to figure the most versatile way of producing the best of each feature without too much compromise. At the moment it could go from camper to kombi in 10minutes....

I think a caravelle/cali beach set up will be your best bet. It's what I've got and, as you say, 10 minutes and it can go from van to people carrier to camper. Very versatile.

Here's the bench seat on rails.

20200323_114555.jpg

Pull the tab out to flatten the bench and complete the bed with the parcel shelf.

20200323_114625.jpg

20200323_114705.jpg

The parcel shelf has loads of storage space underneath it and is held on by these brackets.

20200323_114714.jpg

I could get the bench out myself but to do it sensibly is a two man lift. Just slide it all the way forward after popping the end pieces of the floor rails out.

I meant the Cali beach 2 seat set up with a low bench unit running down the near side of the van. This set up can be used as a full width bed or with seat removed virtually an empty van, obviously would still seat 4 or 5 depending on front seat configuration.

IMG_20190929_104928.jpg IMG_20190929_105844.jpg

Takes 30 seconds to go from rear bed section in to seat all the way forward and rear bed section removed.
Prob takes less than a minute to fully remove the seat. Only prob is they are very heavy and is a 2 man job, I wouldn't fancy doing it on a regular basis.

If I hadn't of gone down the full blown camper route I'd of gone this Cali bed with a custom made low level unit (ie. Seat base height) down the nearside, if you make it the same length as the bed when it is down you still have some full width living area left and room for a table. Only issue is it's obviously not a cheap option.

As I said I contemplated the kombi style conversion for a long time but couldn't find a solution that worked for me.

Hello guys!

Since we have several months to sit tight, I’m going to start looking at upgrading the old Ikea bed. Slept in it this weekend, and it’s just not what I’m after anymore.

Really like the @slidepods , what’s the competitors on the market to these? What are people using?

love the slide pod idea, how easy would it be to make one that extends 3 times over (to compensate for the kombi seats we don’t want in when camping!!) want a nice living space that we have now, to then make an easy transition come night time...

So, day time, seating and chilling, and then easy slide out for a full bed at night...

Ikea bed does it so well, BUT we want something more sturdy and not one that’s hard to fold out over itself when both are in the van crammed in a corner whilst doing so , and then waiting for our vango air bed to self inflate!

pic to show how living space at present

View attachment 63778

I really do like your setup! I currently have the Kombi seats in place and a rear bed which flips over once the seats are down. It does not leave much space in the rear whilst sitting around in the evening, I also do not want a fixed system because I want to use the van for different things. Even a slidepod will limit your options for the price the IKEA solution is perfect. Is it really that difficult to flip the bed down and back? At least with the IKEA you can remove and put the seats back if needed or leave bare to transport items.

I really do like your setup! I currently have the Kombi seats in place and a rear bed which flips over once the seats are down. It does not leave much space in the rear whilst sitting around in the evening, I also do not want a fixed system because I want to use the van for different things. Even a slidepod will limit your options for the price the IKEA solution is perfect. Is it really that difficult to flip the bed down and back? At least with the IKEA you can remove and put the seats back if needed or leave bare to transport items.

I know it’s literally the cheapest and the most simple solution, but for £7k I can get a slide pod (which doesn’t need the kombi seats for a full size bed, buzzingggg) AND a hiloroof,, What more could I want ?! £7k, that’s what!!!

I know it’s literally the cheapest and the most simple solution, but for £7k I can get a slide pod (which doesn’t need the kombi seats for a full size bed, buzzingggg) AND a hiloroof,, What more could I want ?! £7k, that’s what!!!

Just seen it, must be a new product looks good! Slidepod I mean

I rate the slidepods stuff. I was off to buy one but shipping out here was prohibitive. I started making a slide out drawer today to see me right until I get back and buy a slidepod. Its going well so far...

Back